Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the acog the best optic for an ar when looking for something with some magnification?

I was reading some stuff on ar15.com and im not entirely sure about them. is there anything else thats similar and at a better price point, i think $1200 might be a little excessive.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
In short, yes, ACOG's are great sights. Sure, there's plenty of similar options at all price ranges.... you'll find lots of different opinions everywhere you look, but "best" may or may not be what's "Best for you". There's lots of knowledge on these forums, but first you'll need to figure out what exactly you want your AR for ultimately, then ask something along the lines of (see below) to help us help you get a much more cohesive answer.

I'm looking for [some options] for optics within this [price range] that will help me with [accuracy|fun|defense|training|hunting|etc] with my AR at [your typical/optimal shooting distance].

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well im looking for something for self defense shtf type situations. I already have an AK and feel that the AR is more of a precision weapon and would benefit most from some sort of magnification. as far as how much i want to spend...well i dont want to spend more then 400 but accept that i may have to spend over 800.

i guess im trying to find justification for the ACOG

·
Registered
82 Posts
The main thing with an ACOG is that its quick to get on target. Its a steep price to pay for a plinker or shooting off a rest. For half the price you can get a variable optic with good glass. But if you're running across a field while trying to get head shots on the Zombies then the ACOG is without a doubt stellar. Some like the EOTECH and magnifier as well. They are quick or quicker.
There is something about the looks of the ACOG that draws people in even if its not the best fit for the shooting they do. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
+1 to Eotech. Love mine too!

What kind or AR and what length barrel are we talking about? If you are looking at a carbine, and your definition of "self defense" is your home and property then an ACOG may be overkill. Especially considering that it's one weakness is speed in CQB situations. They have a remedy for this in the form af a mini red dot, but that jacks the price up above $1,500.

For the average user who is not planning out of dropping out of a black helicopter anytime soon, Eotechs and Aimpoints are both great options. I've tried both and settled on the Eo primarily because it was a bit easier on my 40 year old eyes. You can then add a magnifier to either after your skills increase and you recover a bit from buying everything else. Then you have a normal and magnified option that's still $500 cheaper than ACOG + Mini dot...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1 to Eotech. Love mine too!

What kind or AR and what length barrel are we talking about? If you are looking at a carbine, and your definition of "self defense" is your home and property then an ACOG may be overkill. Especially considering that it's one weakness is speed in CQB situations.
its a stag standard 16" carbine, i want this more of a longer range weapon like 100-300 yds. i already have an ak that i feel is best suited for the 50-150yd range but it would be to ward off tresspassers on a larger piece of property

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
One of the cool things about the ACOG is the Bindon Aiming Concept(BAC). Basically you cover the objective lens of the ACOG (the front lens) so that you cannot see through it (ensuring that you have one of the tritium illuminated reticles) and, leaving both eyes open look through it with your right eye and at the target with your left. The reticle will be superimposed by your vision over the target, allowing you to aim in close quarters.
Now for the explanation of why this works:
Your right eye supplies visual information to the left side of your brain and your left eye to the right side of your brain. What you see when looking into the ACOG is shown to the left side of the brain and the left side immediately sends this visual information to the right side of the brain via the corpus callosum; your optic nerve also crosses here. This is how your brain puts the visual information from both eyes together. Studies have shown that if you sever the corpus callosum you will still be able to see and perform basic tasks. However if you blindfold your left eye and learn something visually, you will be unable to remember it if you blindfold your right eye and look at it with your left.

Anyways after all that BS the ACOG could be used in close quarters using this method, but it would take practice to focus on the reticle with your left eye.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, 100 to 300 (and longer) yards is in the range where a ACOG shines.

Having said that, if it were me I would rethink the entire build if you already have a short range carbine. I would go with a 20" heavy barrelled AR with a free float tube, bipod and variable power scope or the ACOG. There is no advantage I can think of to a 16" carbine that won't be used for less than 100 yards. Build yourself a long range tackdriver!

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
ACOGs are considered one of the best. But to say it's the best for an AR is really subjective. I have an ACOG TA31(4x32) and a Burris XTR-14 (1-4x24) between the two i tend to grab the one with the Burris on top. Because of the variable magnification. Eventually I'm going to buy a NightForce, which to me would probably end up replacing my ACOG. If it does then the ACOG will be up for sale. So as heavy duty and functional it is, for me the ACOG isn't the best. Although I would give it 4-5 stars, I still don't think it's what I need. So with that I say, "it depends on what you will be using it for"

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
ACOGs are considered one of the best. But to say it's the best for an AR is really subjective. I have an ACOG TA31(4x32) and a Burris XTR-14 (1-4x24) between the two i tend to grab the one with the Burris on top. Because of the variable magnification. Eventually I'm going to buy a NightForce, which to me would probably end up replacing my ACOG. If it does then the ACOG will be up for sale. So as heavy duty and functional it is, for me the ACOG isn't the best. Although I would give it 4-5 stars, I still don't think it's what I need. So with that I say, "it depends on what you will be using it for"

So if you have 2-3 AR's it would be cool to throw it on one?

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Yeah sure! You can have 1 AR w/ just a red dot for CQB shooting, 1 AR with an ACOG for those a little bit farther targets, then 1 AR with a variable scope, 1 AR with just ironsights, 1 AR with red dot and flip to the side magnifier... Etc., etc. etc. The configurations are endless!

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
ACOG ? :cool:

If that is what you want, then get it. Life is too short to not get what you want. If you buy something else, you'll still have that desire.

Is it the "best". Hard to say, but I do like mine, all of them :D
I have 3 of the TA31's, a TA01NSN, (these are 4x) and a TA50. The TA50 is a smaller compact version with 3x mag. I also have mini red dots mounted on all but the 50 for in your face out to 25 yards or so, then I use the ACOG. They are tough as nails, come hell or high water.

Is it the "best" for you? Only you can decide.

without RDS

another b4 the RDS

TA01NSN b4 a RDS

I even have a FACOG :lol:

·
Registered
94 Posts
IMO, the ACOG is the best magnified optic in it's price range. Mine has been extremely durable. I think the only optic I'd like better would be a
an S&B short dot (not for those with limited funds). With that said, I don't prefer my ACOG for CQB type work. If I knew I were going to shoot no further than 25 yards (like in a house/structure), I'd choose a 1X Aimpoint all day (although still effective way beyond this range). Another optic people often forget about, is a 2X Aimpoint. It's kind of a nice compromise between too much and not enough magnifiacation. If you get a chance, look through as many as you can and see which one you prefer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thats my biggest concern...Ive never looked thru one... in fact i havent shot a round thru the gun yet...

Ive got my first 1k rounds coming thursday then off to the range. I defintely want to see how the acogs are befor buying

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Definately find a shop that stocks them and have a "look see" b4 you buy one and find out you don't like them.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
well im looking for something for self defense shtf type situations. I already have an AK and feel that the AR is more of a precision weapon and would benefit most from some sort of magnification. as far as how much i want to spend...well i dont want to spend more then 400 but accept that i may have to spend over 800.

i guess im trying to find justification for the ACOG
Honestly for a self defense weapon, an ACOG is probably a little too much. I've seen a couple guys recomend the EOTECH, which is an awesome sight. Really you can put most any red dot optic on there for short range work and most will work fine.

If you really just want one, then go for it. Any way you slice it, an ACOG is still a sweet piece of glass!

Just remember that it is very much geared toward the military (ex. the stadia lines are made to help estimate range based on the width of an average sized human target). You can beat the hell out of it and it'll keep on goin, but for really long range work it's only 4x (or some are 3.5x), and for close shooting it takes some practice (lots of shooting) to be able to shoot both eyes open effectively.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Especially considering that it's one weakness is speed in CQB situations. They have a remedy for this in the form af a mini red dot, but that jacks the price up above $1,500.
:confused: I paid under $1200 for my TA31DOC in a Larue mount, brand new. If you're dumb enough to pay MSRP, then you deserve to pay $1500. :razz:

To be honest, I'm faster with my ACOG/Doc combo than I am with my EoTech 516. I've had more practice with the ACOG, and in all honesty I prefer BAC or the Docter to the EoTech. In my opinion, the ACOG is the best ALL around optic for an M4 or M16 style rifle. The BDC is calibrated for 5.56 ammo, the scope will survive anything the gun will, and with practice it is easily used from 0 to 600+ yards.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts