Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on funds now to get my optic. I have a 2L stag and I'm really looking foward to a good optic. I'm torn as to what to get.
If I go ACOG I can only swing that. If I go Eotech I will be able to afford a reloading setup shortly after and get into reloading for all my guns.

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
EOtech and reloading ---> Put savings of reloading ammo towards ACOG ---> Buy ACOG too. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
526 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
EOTech and magnifier then you dont need ACOG, then you can buy other toys with reloading savings.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
EOtech and reloading ---> Put savings of reloading ammo towards ACOG ---> Buy ACOG too. :mrgreen:
Hah! "Savings" from reloading? You will not be saving any money by reloading... you will, however, be shooting more.

If you're set on the ACOG, get it, then work towards getting a reloading setup afterwards. Reloading is an addiction and you can spend over a grand easily if the bug really hits you. Then you'll be constantly buying components as well.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love my TA31F and wouldn't trade it for an EOTech and reloading equipment now that I have it...BUT, in the current times, I'd get the EOTech and reloading stuff and not think twice!!!

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
EOTech and magnifier then you dont need ACOG, then you can buy other toys with reloading savings.
Sorry to break it to you but... If you buy an EOTech and a 3x (4x) magnifier, then you're pushing close to what an ACOG would set you back.

My advice to the OP would be to go to ar15.com and peruse the EE - optics & sight equipment and look for an ACOG there, you can find them going for $700-$900.

Another bit of advice... Think about what you will be doing with your AR, are you going to be shooting close range or far out targets? An EOTech will do you just fine w/o the magnification. Although I can't think of a Red Dot that would beat out an ACOG.

I also reload, and quite honestly, I don't see the savings. That's because I end up shooting more than I normally did, so the savings I would've had just goes back into components. If you can discipline yourself to keep shooting what you normally shoot on a monthly basis, then maybe you can see some savings. But I've gotten to the point where...

I still buy ammo
shoot it
reload it
stash it
rinse and repeat.

That way I have ammo stashed up and at the same time I know where and what my brass has been through.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Eotechs (eve with a magnifier) and Acogs are basically meant for different things. Eotechs typically out to 100 yards, with a magnifier maybe out to 200... Acogs are generally thought of as longer range, i.e. 75-? yards... easily out to 400 and beyond depending on bullet weight.

That's not to say that either totally sucks for something it's NOT designed for, I'm sure people have had great success with eotechs at long distance and acogs at short distances... but each will perform best at its intended distance and setting. Of course, you can always go with an acog and if later you feel that you're not getting enough out of the short range, you can add a red dot to the top of it.

As for what I would do??? I'm glad I don't have to make that decision! (Personally, I'm gonna try to put an ACOG on my AR, but maybe my view is skewed on the question because my dad has a reloading press that I use)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Sorry to break it to you but... If you buy an EOTech and a 3x (4x) magnifier, then you're pushing close to what an ACOG would set you back.
Agreed completely. The OP needs to decide what his needs are before we can help him decide. Everyone has different preferences for themselves or for each rifle build. My next rifle is going to have an Accog on it. My first rifle has the Eotech 51AA and a 3x magnifier.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
but what he was saying was get an EO and Magnifier instead of an ACOG then splurg on the reloading stuff and use the money he will save by reloading for other purchases

Agreed completely. The OP needs to decide what his needs are before we can help him decide. Everyone has different preferences for themselves or for each rifle build. My next rifle is going to have an Accog on it. My first rifle has the Eotech 51AA and a 3x magnifier.
]

+1 however there are few things i need everything else is a want.

did I happen to mention that i WANT a black hawk helicopter

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
but what he was saying was get an EO and Magnifier instead of an ACOG then splurg on the reloading stuff and use the money he will save by reloading for other purchases

]

+1 however there are few things i need everything else is a want.

did I happen to mention that i WANT a black hawk helicopter
you mean you haven't bought your black hawk helicopter? see, you've been so busy trying to stock up on pmags, that you lost out on the black hawk shopping spree! I got mine, now I just gotta find some AA batteries for the RC and I'm GOOD TO GO!

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
I'd say Eotech and reloading... price of ammo will continue to rise and price of ACOG will not rise that much.

Set a budget for how much you'll shoot each week/month and you'll be saving money by reloading.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
eotech and reloading

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I have $800 involved in my EOTech 512 and 3X magnifier.I haven't seen any ACOGs for less than $1200.I really like to carry the magnifier in a pocket when in the woods, and then if the terrain opens up I'll mount it for the longer shots. I have taken 'yotes at 300 yds with the magnifier in place.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I have $800 involved in my EOTech 512 and 3X magnifier.I haven't seen any ACOGs for less than $1200.I really like to carry the magnifier in a pocket when in the woods, and then if the terrain opens up I'll mount it for the longer shots. I have taken 'yotes at 300-350 yds with the magnifier in place.
$800-1600

Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Trijicon

This store is a little high, as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts