Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an XD40 last week. This is my first handgun, so on my first trip to the range with it I brought a friend that has a lot more experience than me. Both of us seemed to be placing shots low and to the right, which in my inexperience seems like the opposite of should happen.

I'm not expecting to do a 3" group my first time out, and I'm sure the answer to this is more practice, but how zero'd in are the factory sights out of the box? Like I said, I'm new to hand guns so I'm not sure what to expect or if you're supposed to have it sighted in.

Its got the 4" factory ported barrel, if that matters. Other than that, its fun to shoot and I was expecting a lot more recoil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have to say that when I shot this, it was shot where I pointed most of the time. If it didn't hit where I was pointing then it was because I was either pulling the trigger to the left or right and not pulling straight back.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I pulled my XDM right out of the box and shot 4 inch groups at 7 yards after 200 rounds I was doing 4 inch groups at 15, next time I'm home on leave my goal is 4 inch groups at 25

·
Registered
130 Posts
My brand new XDm 3.8 compact 9mm did place most shots within the 5.5" black on the standard slow fire target at 25 yards. This is with a two hand unsupported hold. Our public handgun range is a regulated 2700 match range so we can only shoot at targets are 25 and 50 yards.

The ammo were with a variety, mostly 20+ year old reloads, both 115 gr. jacket and 125gr. cast truncate cone. My first five shots were way off the mark! Out in the white at about 11 O' clock. Took me a while to get used to the striker fired system. Once settled down all the shots were generally within 5.5" at 25 yards. I did just under 200 rounds this first session. No jams. The XDm is impressive!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
You need to sand bag the gun to determine the true point of aim. With a handgun, small almost un-noticable twitches will change the point impact by several inches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts