Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked picked up a new XD9 that shoots 4" left and the elevation is good, even after pushing the rear sight. Was 6" left before pushing the rear sight. I have an XD40 that i shoot spot on for many years. Have tried Winchester white box, and a few other brands with same results, left by 4" at 7yds for over 250 rounds., but I get good groups ! Have taken it down and cleaned it, looked for any unusual wear spots and found nothing that I can find. I have been shooting pistols for many years, even played in the USPSA sandbox. So I know trigger control, sight alignment and sight picture. I prefer 1911 and can shoot them well. But this has me baffled. Checked both the front and rear sights and are tight, no movement. Checked the rear sight slot and it is centered to each side of the sight. My shooting buddy has the same XD9, have not shot with him since i got this pistol, but in the past when I shot his i had no problem hitting were i aimed. May take his side and barrel put on my frame and my slide and barrel on his frame and see what results we get. Will even have him shoot mine before to see what he gets since he is an NRA pistol instructor. If it continues shooting left, back to Springfield it goes.
Anything else I can check? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Seems like an actual issue "mechanical" issue...maybe the sights are themselves off somehow?

Are there perhaps some small imperfections in the finish of the sight bodies that's causing you a visual aberration?

Indoor range or outdoors? If the latter, any coverings overhead? I am also wondering if it may be a lighting/vision issue - have you always been shooting this particular gun from the same stall, and maybe the lighting is just somehow "off," in that stall?

Given your experience with other XDs, I'd say that you're a well-qualified shooter to actually spot issues and that it would be OK to take your marksmanship out of the equation. But that said, I'd still be tempted, in your shoes, to really remove the human element as much as possible - are you able to shoot the gun off of bags, to see if we can take as much of the shooter out of the equation as possible? Your plans to have others shoot the gun is of-course also a great idea.

You wouldn't happen to have a bore-sighting device accessible would you?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had a Glock 19 that was the same way, always left no matter what I tried even on a rest. Sent it to Glock and they found the frame was cracked in the middle. Replaced the frame and it's perfect now. Maybe yours is similar issue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a Springfield 1911 that was doing that. Turned out its front sight had been knocked out of place, sideways. A friend corrected it and boresighted it for me.

·
Registered
776 Posts
As mentioned above check the crown and while your at it check for any unusual wear patterns on the bbl and slide. Like rubbing more on one side than the other. Look carefully to see if the bore in the slide is centered and if the barrel lug fits the top slide squarely. Any uneven wear in that area too. Keep us informed what you find out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Barrel crown looks good. Barrel lugs appear to be fit evenly.
Will not be able to meet up with my buddy that we planned to switch top ends on the frames, until the serge of covid-19 relaxes.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi,

PM sent.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Are there any updates ? how is the XD doing ?

Reactions: BassCliff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 9MM XD was sent back to Springfield to be checked. I have received an email back from them and that they changed the barrel. They did not give an specific reason why they changed it out.
Before it shipped it back I looked it over with a magnifying glass and the only thing I could find was that the muzzle crown was a bit rough. If that was the reason it shot so poorly, I would think that they would just polish the crown. So I suspect that there was something else that was out of spec I will contact them to see if they will supply more information. I do have a concern that the barrel SN will be different than the pistol SN and if it will effect resale if I ever sell it since I doubt the SN will match. But if i keep their Invoice showing the barrel replacement it may be okay.Should be returned Tuesday, Springfield covered everthing. Once I get the shoot it I will update the post. Thanks to all !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:
Springfield replaced the XD9 barrel due to barrel crown. The crown was a bit rough, but I thought they would just polish the crown and instead they replaced it. The pistol does shoot much better now. The new barrell does not have a serial number and I will keep their invoice showing that it was replaced. Good customer service.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Update:
Springfield replaced the XD9 barrel due to barrel crown. The crown was a bit rough, but I thought they would just polish the crown and instead they replaced it. The pistol does shoot much better now. The new barrell does not have a serial number and I will keep their invoice showing that it was replaced. Good customer service.
The only serial number on the XD that "matters" is the one in the frame, the other two mean nothing to the end user in the US.

I think I read somewhere its a European thing for the other serial numbers (since that's where the guns are made).

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi,

Update:
Very cool. Thanks for the follow-up. :D

Feel free to give me a shout if you ever want to hit a range in the area.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts