Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting an XD9, but while I know basics ... how to break down a weapon and clean it, etc., I am interested in what people here think about a 4" vs 5" barrel? I presume the longer barrel means more accuracy, but how much so, and is it worth the extra weight, etc.

My primary reason for purchasing one is home defense, self defense, etc.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am thinking about getting an XD9, but while I know basics ... how to break down a weapon and clean it, etc., I am interested in what people here think about a 4" vs 5" barrel? I presume the longer barrel means more accuracy, but how much so, and is it worth the extra weight, etc.

My primary reason for purchasing one is home defense, self defense, etc.
The accuracy for SD/HD is minimal between a 4" and 5" XD. I'd go 4" for.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think the biggest difference will be in how it feels and shoots in your hands, not so much in the inherent accuracy of the gun. Sure, you get some more velocity on the bullet, but the difference isn't huge.

For me, I got to shoot both the xd 45 service and tactical before making my choice. The tactical felt best in my hand (weight distribution) and I shot better with it (might be a combination of weight distribution and larger sight radius), so that's how I made my choice. I'd suggest you try to shoot both and just see which you prefer.

The only other consideration you may have, is that it's easier to find holsters for the service models. Concealment isn't much of an issue depending on your size and how you'll be carrying, as they have the same grip size, but you may want to make sure that extra inch of barrel doesn't get into your way.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The accuracy that you can attribute to the extra barrel length probably wouldn't show up at close ranges. The trajectory is still going to be pretty much a frozen rope. You do have a difference in sight radius, and perhaps slightly different recoil characteristics.

I agree with "minimal".

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
For strictly home defense/self defense (particularly if self defense involves concealed carry), I would absolutely get the 4" model and NOT the 5" Tactical. For closer ranges (a hallway, across a room, etc...less than 20ft.), you will not likely have much difference in accuracy between the 4" and 5" models. Where the Tactical shines is 25yards and further.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all. I like the feel of the 4" model better in my hand. Most of my work with firearms has been with long rifles or shotguns squirrel and rabbit hunting, but the recent turn of events has me thinking more of home defense.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
If the 4" feels better, get it. I have a 3" (SC) and 4" (Svc) and they are both great. I have shot the 5" (Tac) and it is nice, but the Svc feels more balanced to me. Some may do better with the Tac, but you have to go what feels right for you.

EDIT: Welcome to XDTalk!

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Minimal. In my experience, the faster you're moving and shooting, the more minimal it is.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I went with the tactical mostly because it fits better in my hand. As for home defence I don't think it makes a lick of difference.

I would like to know if there is a velocity difference due to the longer barrel and longer burn time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had both the 4 and 5 inch xd45ACP which I carried on duty, I sold the tactical because I didn't see any difference in accuracy out to 25 yards and the service was smaller and a little lighter.

·
Registered
192 Posts
if you're going to use it for home defence, a 4" barrel will do but for competition used a 5" barrel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went out this weekend with my father in law, who is looking for a compact model to carry on his four-wheeler "just in case" and for when he is bow-hunting just in case he runs across a snake, feral dog, coyote, etc.

Finally decided on the service XD-9. Just felt better in my hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts