Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been in and out of the news for a while now and made me curious: have any of you Remington 700 owners on the board here had an accidental discharge where the gun fired without a trigger pull?

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
I saw the TV show about accidental discharges of the 700 and it is the original older trigger actions that have the problem and it is intermittant. All the newer ones have a modified trigger which remedied the problem. Remmington was advised to make a recall on the old ones and they refused. They said it would cost too much. Must be cheaper to let a few people get killed and pay the law suits.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
New Rmingtons comes with the x-mark triggers that do not have this issue, in fact its a totally new trigger (adjustable pull).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I saw the TV show about accidental discharges of the 700 and it is the original older trigger actions that have the problem and it is intermittant. All the newer ones have a modified trigger which remedied the problem. Remmington was advised to make a recall on the old ones and they refused. They said it would cost too much. Must be cheaper to let a few people get killed and pay the law suits.
Or, people could practice safe firearms handling and NEVER point a gun in an unsafe direction.

But then again, it must be easier to blame the deadly results of poor practices on inanimate objects.

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
Or, people could practice safe firearms handling and NEVER point a gun in an unsafe direction.

But then again, it must be easier to blame the deadly results of poor practices on inanimate objects.
So you are saying, It doesn't matter if it fires by itself. Just point in in a safe direction? You got to be kidding, right?

·
Registered
37 Posts
When did they switch to the x-mark trigger. Mine is about 18yrs. old, never had a problem. That has been a well proven and popular gun for many.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I thought it was an issue with the gun firing when you put the safety on? Am I wrong about that? My dad has a 700 he bought from a pawn shop about 3 years ago, he's never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For more information, Search: Remmington Under Fire

There is a lot of reading material on this subject.
Thanks found this:

To determine if your Remington 700 has the Walker firing mechanism or the X-Mark Pro, look at the trigger itself. If the trigger has grooves, it is a Walker. If it is smooth, it is an X-Mark Pro.

Change in 2007

Good thing i have always practiced what i was tought as a kid. Never point a gun in the direction of a person , Loaded or Unloaded.

·
Registered
503 Posts
No. Have both triggers and this has not happened and I've never personally heard of it happening with factory adjusted, installed, and sealed trigger. I've seen it happen when adjusting a trigger, but this was caused by adjusting the fire control system beyond it's mechanical capabilities.

The X trigger was produced to allow safe adjustment by the user without disassembly.

YouTube - ‪Remington's Response to CNBC Under Fire‬‏

·
Banned
744 Posts
No. Have both triggers and this has not happened and I've never personally heard of it happening with factory adjusted, installed, and sealed trigger. I've seen it happen when adjusting a trigger, but this was caused by adjusting the fire control system beyond it's mechanical capabilities.

The X trigger was produced to allow safe adjustment by the user without disassembly.

YouTube - ‪Remington's Response to CNBC Under Fire‬‏

^^^^^ I was getting ready to post that same link. I posted it in another thread. That's what a stinking liberal,bottom of the barrel in viewership channel likes to put out. That a Remington 700 fires by itself. Never said the weapons were neglected and modified by their owners. CNBC.......what a joke.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts

So you are saying, It doesn't matter if it fires by itself. Just point in in a safe direction? You got to be kidding, right?
For the sake of discussion ... if the gun is always pointed in a safe direction, what would be the risk of someone being killed even if it did fire by itself?

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Have heard that this was one of the reasons the 788 was discontinued. Other that it embarrasing the 700's for what it cost.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
There is alot of info on this, I think it is a real issue. as for the people saying point the gun in a safe direction a 308 can go through alot of things. Its not a pistol round. Even if its an issue that rarely happens there are so many 700s out there that it becomes less of a rarity. Remmington knew of a potential issue and ignored it.

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
For the sake of discussion ... if the gun is always pointed in a safe direction, what would be the risk of someone being killed even if it did fire by itself?
For the sake of discussion...Why would you think it was no big deal if your rifle discharged "at any time" by itself? And even worse while standing with a group of your hunter friends with the rifle pointed to the ground, would that still be no big deal? :sad:

·
Banned
744 Posts

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
Here is a video of the inventer of the trigger system in question and stating he found that it is unsafe and he designed a modification that Remmington declined to do because of the cost involved. This is from the horse's mouth, you can choose to believe it or not, you decide.

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
By the way, where is DanTheEldest? He kicked this hornets nest and then ran like hell, nowhere to be seen or heard from. :razz:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts