Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I've compiled my 3 posts into one)

This morning I was unloading my gun to swap springs. I ejected the mag, then racked the slide (with my finger away from the trigger, of course). As I racked the slice to remove the chambered round, she went off. I was pointing down, so no one was hurt, though it (.40 Federal defense round) went through my kingsize bed, into the wall and was stopped by my bathtub next room over.

What happened? I thought that gun cannot be fired unless grip safety AND trigger saftety are engaged?

Help.
subdeo
_________

Thanks for your responses. Most were helpful. I do need to explain better. And as for it being a negligent discharge, sure I see the point. Granted that the gun is flawless, it had to be negligent. But this just begs the question.

Anyhow, because it happened so fast, it's really difficult to replay the event? Was my finger on the trigger? Or not? What was my finger doing? Man, I just don't know. I make it a conscience thing to never touch the trigger until my target is in my sights. But still, I'm imperfect and I could have pulled the trigger.

I released the mag, aimed the XD down and racked the slide. Then night before I had changed the spring to a 22#, and, until the discharge, had not racked the slide with a bullet chambered. Perphaps, I touched the trigger as the slide's extra force (due to the stronger spring) took me unexpectedly. But wouldn't I have to pull the trigger completely? There's no way I executed a full range of motion trigger pull! But, as you guys are pointing out, I had to have. I want to believe that it was me. And I'd be really happy knowing that it was. At least then I would know that its save to carry condition one. But I'm gun shy now, which shows that I have trouble believing that I was on the trigger.

Could my unfamiliararity with the new spring's tention have provided for the negligence? That is the only thing that comes to mind. I have unchambered rounds many a time. But I never had with this new spring (which is as tight a slide pull as I've experienced). Is this the factor?

Thanks for your repsonses. You all helped me make an XD purchase, and its to you that I turn for feedback with my experience this morning. Thanks for those who expressed gratitude that all are okay here. I'm glad to. I've never been that scared. And my ears are finally done ringing!

subdeo

Someone asked if I've had smithing done. No. Just got the gun a week ago. Aside from a Hogue grip and a Don't 22 rod and spring como, not work has been done. Only 50 rnds fired...well 51.

Also, after the gun fired the casing was caught in the chamber by the slide. I've seen that before with my Bersa .380 after changing ammo at the range. But I forgot to mention it. Could it provide any clues.

Could someone explain more fully what a slam fire is? I could have lost grip on the slide (because of the new spring's tension) shortly after pulling and had it fling back toward the round. I more confident saying that I didn't get the slide back fully, than I am saying that my finger pulled the trigger. I just DON"t remember touching that stupid trigger. But, I do remember being taken back by the extra pull tension.

That's all I remember. Thanks again.
subdeo

I think the explanation offered by Ranburr is more than likely correct (someone else already alluded to it, I think). I must have naturally re-gripped the gun as I was caught offgaurd by the tough slide pull. If so, then that was a careless mistake. I should have fired my gun with the new spring to get used to how it handles when chambering new mags. Not used to the feel, I ceased to be 100% in control of the firearm, which is never good.

Just for clarification, it wasn't the round that got caught, it was the casing after the round fired. (some one posted some confusion regarding this)

Thanks for the feedback, guys. After changing my pants and regaining my hearing, I have learned a lesson.

subdeo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately, I need more help than cute posts. This is serious, and now my wife wants me to keep it in the basement.

Still awaiting meaningful responses

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
So what you are saying is that the gun fired as you were pulling the slide back?? And no finger on the trigger??

I think you need to explain what happened a little better and maybe think a little harder about what your fingers were doing.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
subdeo said:
This morning I was unloading my gun to swap springs. I ejected the mag, then racked the slide (with my finger away from the trigger, of course). As I racked the slice to remove the chambered round, she went off. I was pointing down, so no one was hurt, though it (.40 Federal defense round) went through my kingsize bed, into the wall and was stopped by my bathtub next room over.

What happened? I thought that gun cannot be fired unless grip safety AND trigger saftety are engaged?

Help.
How could it happen? You pulled the trigger.

You left a round in the chamber. They have a laoded chamber indicator for a reason. Pulling the slide back is physically impossible for the gun to fire. Pulling on the slide does not release the striker/firing pin assembly, and it fired before you pulled it back. A round doesnt fire with a slide halfway open.

AND BTW< this was a NEGLIGENT discharge.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I agree with NeXD, and this is something I don't do very often. Having had a negligent discharge, I am glad to know that you or anyone near you was not hurt. There can be very little doubt that your finger was on the trigger, a round was chambered, your hand had disengaged the grip safety.. and you did have an ND.

Now the chore is to make sure and never have another. Or put the gun in the basement, or both.

Raymond

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm sorry it happened. It really sucks. On my ship we had lots of people's firearms that fired when they weren't supposed to. All were operator error. Tack it up to a learning experience that had no significant reprocutions. Then add it to this thread.

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=19124&highlight=ad+nd

You'll see lots of people have had ND/AD issues. Personally, I need to find something to use as a "safe direction." Currently, I use my basement masonary wall with a solid 30 feet of earth behind it. But, I'm thinking of getting a paint bucket filled w/ and an old armor plate (DRMO) at the bottom.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It can't, and in 25 years as a cop I can't tell you how many "accidental" shootings I've worked- and been told one or another version of "It went off by itself!" Less than 1% were anything but operator error.

I can spend about 5 minutes with that gun and tell you what went wrong. Contact Springfield and see if they have an armorer in your area, who can check the gun over.

Glad you are OK.

·
Registered
347 Posts
subdeo said:

Help.

Sometimes a gun will malfunction in such a way that you get a 'slam fire' (though this is very, very rare with modern pistols, with a firing pin safety). That is, the firing pin is stuck forward and when a round is chambered the firing pin hits hard enough to fire it.

That's not what happened to you.

A slamfire can only happen as the slide is going forward. You say that you had ejected the magazine, so pulling the slide back would have ejected the round in the chamber and there was no other round available to be chambered by the slide returning to battery.

The only way your pistol could have fired under the circumstances described is through finger-trigger intercourse.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Heh.. he said "intercourse." :)

Raymond

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
ok butt-head! :?

Raymond

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am agreeing with the rest of you! I RARELY ever leave my house without my SC and unload on a daily basis without this ever happening to me! If you honestly believe that is was a malfunction on the guns part than you should have it checked immediately by a gunsmith. Not calling you a liar but you may have pulled the trigger subconsiously. It's good that no one was hurt though :shock:

·
Registered
96 Posts
NExd said:
subdeo said:

Help.
How could it happen? You pulled the trigger.

You left a round in the chamber. They have a laoded chamber indicator for a reason. Pulling the slide back is physically impossible for the gun to fire. Pulling on the slide does not release the striker/firing pin assembly, and it fired before you pulled it back. A round doesnt fire with a slide halfway open.

AND BTW< this was a NEGLIGENT discharge.
Im agreeing with NExd here.. I tried ( AFTER I MADE SURE THE FIREARM WAS INDEED UNLOADED AND SAFE ) to fire my XD while pulling the slide back.. and its impossible to do, you sure you didnt accidentally pull the trigger????

·
Registered
821 Posts
subdeo said:
unfortunately, I need more help than cute posts. This is serious, and now my wife wants me to keep it in the basement.

Still awaiting meaningful responses
I would err on the side of caution and have a gunsmith take
a look at the pistol.Glad you didn`t hurt or kill anyone.

P

·
0 Posts
Can you give any more info, subdeo. How did you rack the slide? I thought you had a slam fire at first, but it seems like from what you are saying that the cartridge would have to not be ejected and then slam-fired. Or, you pulled the trigger before the out-of-battery disconnect came into play (what is that, an 1/8 inch of slide travel?). Even if the grip safety is depressed, which is usually the case when I rack my gun, it seems like the magazine disconnect would have stopped it from firing. Man, that's strange!

EDIT for the gun nerd
Well, excuuuuuuuuuuse meeeee! I wasn't saying subdeo should go stare in his barrel and pull the trigger because "Hey, there ain't a magazine in it." I believed since it was a new gun, it had this common safety device.
"Guns are serious stuff!" Abolutely, yes, they are. Go take your medicine and calm down.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
subdeo
I thought that gun cannot be fired unless grip safety AND trigger saftety are engaged?
Well, you can count out the grip safety in this case, because you can't "rack the slide" unless it is depressed. So at lease we know you had the grip safety depressed. Can't really be sure you even cleared the weapon, cause for some reason it did go off.
Sorry, we gotta be detectives in this case, but we only have what you written to go on.

Could it be you just forgot to clear the weapon and you pulled the trigger on your way to disassembly so you could change springs? :?

Whatever the cause, glad there wasn't anyone hurt besides the bathtub.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Preacher
magazine disconnect
uh no, we are talking Springfield XD not S&W or Browning. There is no magazine disconnect. :|

Please people, know your facts. Guns are serious stuff.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
If the pistol really went off by it self send it to Springfield and have them take a look at it.

Have you done any smithing to your pistol?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Second instance I've heard of someone pulling the slide back on a loaded XD and having it go off - the friend who had it sold the gun immediately after because he was scared to use it as a result. Pretty sure he had his finger on the trigger though. I'd guess this problem crops up now and then with glocks too.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts