Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone has colored the indicator on their XD/m so that it is more visible. Being that it is the same mate black as the slide, it make it somewhat difficult for quick referencing of a laded chamber. Now it goes with out saying that this is no compromise for a proper check, but rather a simple way to assist ;)

Something like below.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I dont why you cant see that it is either flush, or its not... not that difficult... do you need a flourescent light too?

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont why you cant see that it is either flush, or its not... not that difficult... do you need a flourescent light too?

I guess I have an issue when there is no real contrast with dark colors, as with brighter colors, you have shadow to reference change, ie; depth, angle, etc. Not all eyes operate the same ;)

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Nope... I consider my gun loaded all the time anyway.
Same here..
But if you need a big gaudy LCI, consider one or the newer Rugers.

Meanwhile I'll just use the best firearm saftey device ever made..

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I guess I have an issue when there is no real contrast with dark colors, as with brighter colors, you have shadow to reference change, ie; depth, angle, etc. Not all eyes operate the same ;)

Its pretty easy to tell if something is raised compared to a flat surface:rolleyes: You should treat every weapon as if it were loaded anyway, "quick checks" dont fix stupid;) What about weapons without an LCI... do you just avoid them... or do you pay attention to the fact that it may be loaded and use your brain to determine the conclusion? I always know if my weapon is loaded and chambered, if you are questioning yourself, then you need more training and should be payig more attention to what you are doing. IMO, loaded chamber indicators are like "low oil" lights... if you paid attention you would know if your weapon was loaded, or how much oil you have;)

For clarification, I'm not saying LCI's are worthless, but they are not necessary.

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its pretty easy to tell if something is raised compared to a flat surface:rolleyes: You should treat every weapon as if it were loaded anyway, "quick checks" dont fix stupid;) What about weapons without an LCI... do you just avoid them... or do you pay attention to the fact that it may be loaded and use your brain to determine the conclusion? I always know if my weapon is loaded and chambered, if you are questioning yourself, then you need more training and should be payig more attention to what you are doing. IMO, loaded chamber indicators are like "low oil" lights... if you paid attention you would know if your weapon was loaded, or how much oil you have;)

For clarification, I'm not saying LCI's are worthless, but they are not necessary.

You're getting my who idea wrong. I think it would be a "something to do" type mod, yet be useful as a passive safety feature. And as I stated twice, it's by no means a replacement for a proper check. ;)

Your eyes, my eyes and the guy's eyes below me are not the same and again, as I state before - I have issues with dark colors and contrasts of the same dark colors.

·
Premium Member
127,435 Posts
I think the pistol is just fine as is.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
Pretty simple to make it more visible if you'd like. Go get some model car paint, and paint the top of it a little. Try not to get it on the sides as it could make it a bit sticky.
If you have problems with the dark contrast, just run your hand over the top of the slide and that should give you the answer.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I guess I just don't get it. If looking down the barrel I wouldn't really see the red. If I'm looking at the side I can see it, but just as easily see the non-colored indicator against a nonblack background. I'd sooner put something on the top of it. And unless you attach an led of some sort you're not going to see it in the dark anyway.

I neither want it nor would find it useful but at the same time see the appeal it may have for some.
Terminal Velocity: If you think it would be an aid for you I fully support you doing it and showing us what you use. I'd just be weary that it would rub off. As you can see in that last Ruger pic in post #7 it was ground in then painted red.
A more contrasting color (lighter) seems like it would be a better idea than red on black.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Geez everybody jumps down your throat about something useful! Yes not necessary but useful! It aint gonna kill to do it. I understand the whole gun safety, treat as loaded. But so much dissing! Oh well. if you do it post it up!

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the pistol is just fine as is.
Can't knock ya for love'n your piece right out of the box ;)

Pretty simple to make it more visible if you'd like. Go get some model car paint, and paint the top of it a little. Try not to get it on the sides as it could make it a bit sticky.
If you have problems with the dark contrast, just run your hand over the top of the slide and that should give you the answer.
Yeah I was thinking one of those paint pens that are on the lines of a big felt tip marker.

I guess I just don't get it. If looking down the barrel I wouldn't really see the red. If I'm looking at the side I can see it, but just as easily see the non-colored indicator against a nonblack background. I'd sooner put something on the top of it. And unless you attach an led of some sort you're not going to see it in the dark anyway.

I neither want it nor would find it useful but at the same time see the appeal it may have for some.
Terminal Velocity: If you think it would be an aid for you I fully support you doing it and showing us what you use. I'd just be weary that it would rub off. As you can see in that last Ruger pic in post #7 it was ground in then painted red.
A more contrasting color (lighter) seems like it would be a better idea than red on black.
Like the Ruger, it would be on the sides and maybe the "front end" of the obtuse.

Yea I was thinking a neon green or orange, like the sights.

I agree. I don't understand all the hate. Even
that smartest people have brain farts every
now and then.
Just hating that they didn't come up with the mod first

Geez everybody jumps down your throat about something useful! Yes not necessary but useful! It aint gonna kill to do it. I understand the whole gun safety, treat as loaded. But so much dissing! Oh well. if you do it post it up!
They love the idea, but like I said, they just-b-hate'n because they now need to ride the bandwagon to coolsville

I kidd... I kidd... :p

I think it has merit.
Thanks Bro, I do to. I think it would make a good visual marker.

you should at all times know the status of your firearm... a loaded chamber indicator is for the mindless ones.
Just like any other feature of the gun, it is a tool for safety; nothing wrong with that.

I cant my LCI to be as little noticeable as possible, I want to be the only one that notices it.

I see the reasoning behind that ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts