Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody seen one of these complete uppers for sale anywhere? Only ones I've seen are older bushmaster and are way out of my price range, or flat tops.

Barring that, what's involved in building an upper? I've seen dissipator barrels and a2 uppers both pretty cheap.

I suppose a third, less optimal solution is a flat top with a carry handle.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at the carry handles and the look is a little different. Ive also heard that if you want an a2 just to build an a2.

I dunno gonna keep looking...but looks like this build is gonna start sooner than later. I won a little cashola off a lotto ticket today lol.

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Model 1 Sales has them. I've heard people whine about them, but I have 3 complete uppers from them with zero issues. One of them, my first, is about 15 years old and has untold thousands of rounds through it.
You rock! I knew crowd sourcing it I could find one!

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rifle length gas? 16" barrel?

3 different gas system lengths for ar15s. Carbine, mid length, and rifle. Rifle is usually a 20" barrel. Other two are usually 16" barrels. Dissipator has the sight radius and gas system of a rifle length which is better for accuracy and recoil felt while having the shorter carbine barrel.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
i'll be honest I didn't know what the hell a dissapator upper is but now I do thanks to @taylorjr 's link and @afmo post. Thanks guys. Informative. Pretty cool it's like hacking a G17 to a 19 grip radius kind of I guess? Lol.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
less than 3" of dwell... like a mouse fart.
Can be adjusted with a larger gas port - rifle-length gas systems on dissy uppers have been sorted out over the years. Even better is that some manufacturers have started putting on a false FSB at the rifle-length position, but have a low-profile gas block at the midlength gas position. Totally fixes all issues dissys had.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Agreed on it looking cool. My main attraction to it is the longer sight radius because I love me some iron sights.

All that aside, the dissys don't do anything better than any other AR15, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts