Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've had my XD 9mm Service for just over a year now. I've tried several different mods and aftermarket accessories. I've also wasted alot of money on some of the parts. So, here's the breakdown so far of what did and didn't work out;

POLISHED BARREL:
Pros - Looks great
Cons - Only looks great until you fire the first mag through it. The slide complete ruins the mirror-like finish. Mine was professionally polished, and cost me $50 to have done.
Money Wasted: $50
:x

DON'S GUIDE ROD:
Pros - Looks great and easy to install.
Cons - Threw my accuracy off like you wouldn't believe. Gun cycles fine with the rod and 18# Wolff Spring, but put all of my 32 shots around 3-4" low and right of center. Switched back to the factory rod and everything was back to normal.
Money Wasted: $35
:-x

PRP STEEL PIN SET:
Pros - Nothing worth mentioning.
Cons - All of the pins worked in my XD9 except the Mag Release Pin. It was around 1/8" too long. Also, they do not include the grip safety pin...WTF???
Money Wasted: $30 :x

So, if you own a XD/XDm, beware of these parts. Don't waste the cash. Spend the money on a set of Trijicon night sights and be happy. Wish I would have done that myself. It would've saved me a lot of frustration and disappointment.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Ok, so I've had my XD 9mm Service for just over a year now. I've tried several different mods and aftermarket accessories. I've also wasted alot of money on some of the parts. So, here's the breakdown so far of what did and didn't work out;

POLISHED BARREL:
Pros - Looks great
Cons - Only looks great until you fire the first mag through it. The slide complete ruins the mirror-like finish. Mine was professionally polished, and cost me $50 to have done.

DON'S GUIDE ROD:
Pros - Looks great and easy to install.
Cons - Threw my accuracy off like you wouldn't believe. Gun cycles fine with the rod and 18# Wolff Spring, but put all of my 32 shots around 3-4" low and right of center. Switched back to the factory rod and everything was back to normal.

PRP STEEL PIN SET:
Pros - Nothing worth mentioning.
Cons - All of the pins worked in my XD9 except the Mag Release Pin. It was around 1/8" too long. Also, they do not include the grip safety pin...WTF???

So, if you own a XD/XDm, beware of these parts. Don't waste the cash. Spend the money on a set of Trijicon night sights and be happy. Wish I would have done that myself. It would've saved me a lot of frustration and disappointment.
sell all that crap on eBay, buy you some Trijicons and there is a gentleman on this forum who will install for 25$. free install if you buy from him. 2-3 day turnaround typically. he is professional and recomended by hundreds on this forum. my gun is with him at the moment. His name is james. just look around the gunsmithing forum and you will find him. XDman.com is his site. Sorry you got stuck with that crap.Barrels sale like crazy on eBay!!!!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
My only mod so far and I'm happy:

PRP Drop-In Trigger Kit for XDm:
Pros - Shorter take up, negligible over travel and quick reset
Cons - A little pricey for an already high end gun that should have a better trigger
Money Well Spent: $125

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Also the PRP Stainless Steel Pin Set doesn't include the magazine catch pin.

The set includes: two trigger/locking block pins, one sear pin, one ejector pin, and one striker safety pin.
are you sure you put it in the right hole?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had PRP do a combat carry trigger job on mine and an extended magazine release button. Both are wonderful. My IDPA times went down and my accuracy went up. Money well spent.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
All .45 ACP:

My XDS - stock. 5.5 lb trigger pull after the recall.

My XDm - stock parts, but massaged by a local 'smith when I lived in California. 4.5 lb trigger pull.

My wife's XD Tactical - stock. 5.75 lb trigger-pull. She said "Leave it alone! I like it."

My son's XDm and XDS - stock. Unknown trigger pulls.

If it ain't broke...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
XDsc .40 S&W: Modified Pierce extension, PRP grip tape. $22 Trigger pull 6.5 lbs.
Future mods: night sights

XDs 3.3 9mm: 2 modified Pierce extensions, Talon grip tape. $18 (grips came with the gun) Trigger pull 5.5 lbs.
Future mods: night sights.

Both of these guns are in my carry rotation and I like them just the way they are.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Sorry Phoenix, I can't feel for ya.
The Polish and pins do nothing for functionality and only good if you plan on only displaying it... and never shooting it.

Swapping guide rods is only really good if you're competing. Usually not necessary for EDC, or range plinking.
Sounds like you were simply 'Pimping Out' an already decent 'work horse' pistol. :(

Oh yeah... Your OP stated you were going to list what DID, as well as what did NOT work out, but everything you listed was categorized as 'Money Wasted' (what apparently did NOT work out).

So... What DID work out?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Here is the only aftermarket "part" in either of my XD series pistols: ;-)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I installed PRP drop-in trigger kits in both my XD45 4" and my XDm 40 3.8". Wouldn't consider taking either one out! Night and day difference in take-up and over-travel.

I also installed a DPM recoil reducer in the XD45 due to the fact that I converted it to 460 Rowland. Seems to make quite a difference with the heavy spring it comes with when using 460R and the lighter spring with 45ACP. $XD460 thumb.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have a 3.8 springfield xdm .45

truglo tfo night sights:

great for the money but do not take advantage of the frame. save up for the better, adjustable ones if you are not on a tight budget

pierce mag extension 9+1:

great for the money added a round of capacity only con is the texture if a little off since they do not have an xdm one but it is a must have.

prp: ultimate match trigger kit:

love it......boosted my accuracy and gave the gun a perfect "feel". must have.

maglock extended and enlarged mag release:

it rotates when you push the button and other side is extended too which interferes with your grip. $40 wasted dollars.....avoid. i put the factory one back in and appreciated it more. lol.

dpm recoil reduction system: they dont break the springs in for you and it isn't in the documentation so for about 1-200 rounds the springs are too stiff/too long causing intermittent jams. they need a better fit and finish on their product......after the break in, it works fine though. very noticable reduction in recoil. personally I would get something else if I had it to do over again just bc you cannot unruin your confidence in a product. lol. The money isn't wasted persea but just want to try a few other things and compare.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I installed the PRP drop in trigger. And it did help with accuracy. Then Williams fiber optic sight. Which helped even more. Anything else is bling.

·
Registered
450 Posts

POLISHED BARREL:

DON'S GUIDE ROD:

PRP STEEL PIN SET:

All I can say is, I've tried all kinds of things recommended by people on Internet gun forums, and almost always took the gun back to factory.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I don't toy with my guns either they run or don't. I don't understand buying a gun then painting in the letters polishing the barrel or making unneeded changes. I find it hard enough to put the effort to clean them every few thousand rounds. I like to make sure they are oiled though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts