Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I held off on this report until I had a second chance to get to the range. I picked up one of Don's guide rods and a Wolf 22# spring for my XD-40 from Pistol-Gear (great service I must say) a bit over a week ago. Last weekend when I tried it at the range I had many FTF with CCI Blazer Brass 165gr FMJ and one or two FTF with Remington UMC 180gr FMJ loads. Despite the failures with the CCI ammo the stiffer spring did seem that it help control muzzle flip.

Well thinking the FTF problem was due to the new guide rod and spring I switched back to the factory spring assembly. With the CCI Blazer Brass 165 grain I still got the same FTF. So that made me pretty sure it was the ammo not the guide rod and spring. Especial given that it was only with the one type of Blazer ammo. With either spring the round would get up the feed ramp and lodge part way into the chamber, the bottom edge of the chamber would put a crescent moon ding in the side of the cartridge.

So I went back to the range today and put some more ammo through my XD-40. After today’s session I have a bit over 1000 rounds through it. I tried CCI Blazer Brass 165gr & 180gr. FMJ, Remington UMC 180gr FMJ, Remington Express 155gr JHP, Remington Golden Saber 165gr JHP, and some Sellier and Bellot 180 FMJ. Well today the only problem I had was again with the CCI Blazer Brass 165gr FMJ again. I did find that today if I only loaded 5 rounds of the CCI 165gr in the magazine then even they would feed fine. Everything else feed with out a single problem even from full 12 round mags. The Remington Golden Saber shot very nice and at $4.97 a box (25rds) I stopped at Gander Mountain a picked up a few more boxes.

While at Gander I also picked up another 12 rd magazine for my XD. Why do the original three that came with the gun have holes in the back for 4, 8, 12 round where the new one I bought has 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12. Why the change? I’m not sure which I like best but time will tell.

Rambling
mcb

·
Registered
443 Posts
MCB, when I issued XD's to the officers in my old department I puchased a case of the CCI Blazer ammo. We had numerous problems also. I also purchased this Russian "Bear' crap, and it also had major problems. I should also state this is the XD 40 4 in serivce I am talking about.

Now since I use PMC and Winchester White Box, and we have not had one failure to feed in my new department.

New Department with much much more money! :wink: :wink:

Tom :D

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks USN RM3, your report makes me even more confident that it was the ammunition and not my XD-40 that was the problem.

Thanks
mcb

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am pretty sure that it is, Try and get a 100 rounds of Winchester white box ammo, take your weapon to the range. Take a friend along, and tell him to reload the mags as fast as he or she can. Keep shooting until all 100 rounds are exhausted.

Just make sure of one thing, keep a good solid grip the whole time. This should cure any thoughts you may have about the XD.

Tom :wink:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had similar problems with mt XD40.I had lots of fail to feed problems with Blazer ammo,and worse with the range"Zero" brand.At the range yesterday,I was talking to one of the instructors about it,it wouls FTF on the 11 th round ,every time.I was asking about mag problems etc.His first responce was that with the 40 cal XD's and many other bigger bore polomer pistols,the first thing he would look for ,is "limp wristing" it a little.
I "death gripped" it the first few mags :lol: ,let my arms take all the recoil,and ,DAMN, it quit having FTF problems.Might be something to look in to.since your problem sound just like what I was experiencing.

Greg

·
Registered
102 Posts
I shot a bunch of different types of ammo yesterday in my 9mm Tactical (report coming!), and interesting, the WWB 115gr ammo was the most accurate of all of them. It's also among the cheapest. Go figure. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great I just bought 250 rounds of Blazer Brass for my XD-40 Tactical today at Gander for the simple fact that it was $6.37 for a box of 50. Looks like it'll be a long and painful day at the range tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mavisky, were they the 165 grain or the 180 grain? I had two boxes of both and the 180 grain load shot without a problem. Only the 165 grain load cause the jaming problem.

mcb

·
Registered
146 Posts
mcb said:
Mavisky, were they the 165 grain or the 180 grain? I had two boxes of both and the 180 grain load shot without a problem. Only the 165 grain load cause the jaming problem.

mcb
Great, 165 here :cry:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well some interesting news from the range. My tactical took every round of Blazer Brass I loaded (165grain even) and chewed it up and spit it back out with no fault whatsoever. The only problems I had today was a cheap laser that would fly off the gun every 10 rounds or so and the fact that 3 of my Blazer Brass rounds came out with almost half the bullet loaded into the casing. Not sure if they just didn't put enough powder in them or what, but they didn't get loaded at all. Pics to come tonight if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
68 Posts
:D Try some Brian Enos Slide-Glide and it should shoot any thing with out any problem.Best lube by far.Smoothest slide you will ever see and will last for over 2000 rounds and still be running perfect.

Ed

·
Registered
23 Posts
MCB - I too picked up some clearance 165 golden sabres at Gander for cheap. They told me they were changing the packaging & closing out the old stuff. They were $17.97/25 then they marked 'em down to $7.97. I bought 6 boxes. Then I was in a few weeks ago & they were down to $5.97. Too bad they only had 2 boxes left!

I don't know how old the stuff is, but I had 3 out of one box not fire. I ejected the round & the primer was hit, but didn't go off. I reloaded the 3 in succession in the mag and they all went off the second time. That one box was more faded than the others. I have since gone through 5 other boxes & not had any problems. I bought these for defense rounds, but I don't know if I can trust 'em. I have my carry mag loaded with Magtech Golds right now. Hopefully this was an isolated instance...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I held off on this report until I had a chance to fire off a few hundred rds at the range. I installed one of Don's guide rods and a Wolf 22# spring for my XD-40 V-10 from Pistol-Gear.
I heard of horror stories but I can report that the only thing I felt was a little tighter recoil, even lower muzzle flip, very good shot after shot steadiness. I guess the #22 spring is ok for the .40 ported. My .02

JDW

·
Registered
23 Posts
TRYZUB - thanks for the info. A friend of mine has a Glock 22 .40 cal and was having occasional ejection failures with a heavier spring. (21lbs I believe) This would happen only when he was shooting 165gr target ammo. The 180gr target ammo worked fine. It didn't matter what brand as long as it was 165gr target ammo. Any hot +P rounds worked fine. He ended up going back to the factory spring. Any ideas why?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The consensus is that with the heavier round no problems (for the #22) spring), when you use lighter ammo things begin to get testy. I shot 200 rds of 180 gr and it felt fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
DieTrying - I believe the problem may have been faulty primers in that batch. I don't even think humidity could cause that problem because they are sealed. Ammo should last indefinetely if it is taken care of.

Case in point...
I found a box of old (10+years) 30-06 remington ammo in my garage & decided to shoot 'em up. My rifle is sighted in for 100yds & I typically shoot a 1" or so group. This ammo was anywhere from 1" low to 12" low with the majority about 6" low. I was thinking the powder picked up some humidity being out there that long. I fired a few new ones & they were fine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
mcb said:
Pictures always make a thread better. I would like to see them.

mcb
Lost the thread once I took the pics, here they are.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had the same probles as all of you, even with my handloads.
I decided to seat the bullet out to 1.133, .002" less than SAAMI max and evry round, 180gr anything had 0 FTF out of 200 rounds.

I called SA, told Linda about the problem and she said the ramp could be made to work with special loads. Most commercial loads are up .018" short of SAAMI max and I believe SA just made their ramps too short which means a new barrel with a longer ramp.

Even though I can handload for this problem and get 100% function, I can not use it for my 5000 rounds of 180gr 1000fps loads for the SW4006 without FTF.

I told Linda about this forum and she said they don't have time to check sites that you need to call about the FTF's. I'm sure they will re-spec the barrel ramp distance and solve the problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts