Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am NOT turning this into a one in the chamber or not thread. I did a search and read many...many...many posts on this subject. Being as this is my first handgun and I am pursuing my carry permit in March when the course is available here I bought my XD9 to carry. I hadn't given much thought to the one in the chamber or not until I stumbled onto a thread here. I read through the opinions and several of you had suggested cocking the pistol with no round in the chamber and see if it was still cocked at the end of the day.
It was, in fact, still cocked at the end of the day...the next day and the end of the week. Because, amazing enough, you really DO have to squeeze the trigger in order to fire the XD. So, I will be carry FULLY loaded when I get my CCP.
The short version is THANK YOU for providing the information to help us handgun newbies make good decisions. What is old news to a lot of you guys is good info to people like myself.
Secondly, I am reading a lot of posts about recommending JHP rounds for SD over the FMJ's. Is this just because the JHP's do more damage to the target upon entering or is this more because the round doesn't continue through the target and unintentionally strike another person or object?
Again, thanks, this site is the best resource on the net for these pistols and handgun info in general.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Just curious; what was your intention before you read the threads about +1? Were you figuring on carrying without one in the pipe or with the +1 locked and loaded?

Also, as for your quesiton about the HP rounds for defensive purposes; FMJ rounds have a tendency to go straight through something (a body) without expelling much energy in the something as the bullet will normally stay intact, thus leave the something (a body) without doing much damage. Then can continue on into another somthing and still be at fairly high velocities. You need the HP so that it will expand on impact and expell much of its energy inside what you hit; doing more internal damage than the FMJ round.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The whole idea is to stop the bad guy quickly, and not endanger someone else. The JHP has the best chance of doing just that by {hopefully} staying in the BG.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just curious; what was your intention before you read the threads about +1? Were you figuring on carrying without one in the pipe or with the +1 locked and loaded?
Well, without getting into a chambered/not chambered thing, my intention was to NOT have one in the chamber (condition 3, I believe?). But as I said, after reading the posts and then trying it out dry for myself I have re-considered and will carry condition 1. I suppose I naively believed that I would have the time or ability to see the trouble coming and be ready, but that just does not appear to be the case in real life. I'm just not going to carry a weapon that is not fully ready to be used at any time.

Thanks for the info on the JHP's i will pick some up this weekend before I leave for Colorado as I will be traveling with my XD9. I have put about 600 rounds of the FMJ's through it and both the gun and my accuracy are getting much better.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts

Also, as for your quesiton about the HP rounds for defensive purposes; FMJ rounds have a tendency to go straight through something (a body) without expelling much energy in the something as the bullet will normally stay intact, thus leave the something (a body) without doing much damage. Then can continue on into another somthing and still be at fairly high velocities. You need the HP so that it will expand on impact and expell much of its energy inside what you hit; doing more internal damage than the FMJ round.
+1. FMJ's are a lot cheaper so they are great target/ practice rounds, but never for SD. Keep in mind you are responsible for every shot fired. Even if you do hit your BG, but you used a FMJ that went through him and continued on to hit an innocent person, that innocent person can sue you. He probably will and I can say he probably will win. For the good SD JHP ammo, expect to pay about $20 - $25 for a box of 20. I know it's expensive, but you need to practice a bit with the SD ammo and make sure your gun likes it. Some gun's like certain ammo more than others. When I say that, I mean this brand over that brand, NOT FMJ vs. JHP. Lucky for you, you have some time to experiment.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Hollowpoints are preferred for two reasons.

1. This being the most important. Handguns wound by creating a hole trough tissue, the bigger and deeper the hole the more damage, the more damage the better. Hollowpoints expand to a larger diameter when hitting tissue, thus creating a larger wound channel, they are also made to penetrate at least 12 inches of Bad Guy even when hitting barriers such as heavy clothing, dry wall etc... 12 inches is a standard because although in the movies the Bad Guy alway presents a perfect silhouette, in real life more than likely they will be at an angle with arms out streatched. So you want to be able to reach vital organs even when having to punch through an arm or shoulder. Believe it or not a bullet dumping energy into a BG does nothing to wound or stop the BG, but it does expand the bullet and slow it enough to keep it from over penetrating.

2. The Hollow point bullet is less likely to over penetrate and hit a bystander.

·
Registered
362 Posts
It was, in fact, still cocked at the end of the day...the next day and the end of the week. Because, amazing enough, you really DO have to squeeze the trigger in order to fire the XD. So, I will be carry FULLY loaded when I get my CCP.
Am I reading this right? Have you been carrying concealed for a week with no permit in order to investigate this? :shock:

All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Am I reading this right? Have you been carrying concealed for a week with no permit in order to investigate this? :shock:

All the best,
Glenn
Noooo! I guess I didn't phrase that very well.
Just around my property and around the house. Took it with me out to the country last weekend to some timber my family has and carried out there as well. Not in the car and not in public...BIG no-no in Iowa with no CCP. The last thing I want to do is jeopardize my ability to get my CCP.

·
Registered
362 Posts
:wink: Just checking. Now where did I put that CCP application that I received from you the other day? .... :lol::lol::lol:
All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, I appreciate you guys keeping me honest. :D
God knows I don't know everything there is to know about these things

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I have an XD40 service and I don't understand how to have in the pipe and NOT be cocked??

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think you can, we were talking about rather you carry with one in the pipe or not at all. I had carried (around my house) with the pistol cocked but the chamber empty to get a feel for how safe this would be.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Yes a FMJ round is more likely to travel through the human body. There for less enegry is used to inflict internal damage. Where as a hollow point mushrooms, slowing the round down but increasing internal damage and increasing the size of the wound.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I don't think you can, we were talking about rather you carry with one in the pipe or not at all. I had carried (around my house) with the pistol cocked but the chamber empty to get a feel for how safe this would be.
I did the same thing before I got my carry permit. Carried around the house for a short time cocked but with an empty chamber. Did the same thing for a couple days after I got my carry permit, too. No worries - it was still cocked at the end of the day!

Now I always carry hot. It may sound funny, but I think it gives me even more of a sense of personal responsibility when I chamber that round before holstering my gun and heading out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts