Springfield XD Forum banner

Regarding the issue of rust and the XD:

• (A) I feel the issue has been covered so much, it is a non-issue.

• (B) It freaks me out and I don't know what to do.

• (C) I was so concerned I had my XD refinished just in case.

• (D) I am tired of hearing about it, since there is 101 ways to correct the issue with everyday produ

• (E) A & D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
I really don't get why folks are so spun up over this issue. I've had mine since Feb 05 and carry it every day. No rust. One of my other guns had some minor rust on it - so what? As one of the choices in the poll notes, there's several ways to remedy it. And furthermore, it was my fault for how I stored it. All of my others have been handled and fired a ton and without rust.

I just assumed that if I keep my XD well oiled and clean it after every range trip, it won't rust. So far, it's held true - and has also held true for all my others (excluding storing one dry in florida - I know - duh). I'm extremely happy with this gun. If I weren't married already, I think my gun and I would have run off and got married. She's a beauty :D

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Didn't even bother to vote, until the Croats, or SA decide to either put a real finish on this weapon, or continue to eat a bunch of warranty costs, which only increases the cost of this and other SA products, we all will have to end up with the trophies that Old School speaks of. I think I may have misread Old Schools post, I believe I need to say we won't have the trophies, just a great shootin' gun!! Which is alright I guess, I'd just like to show a bud or two what a great gun I just bought without them asking what the hell did you do to the poor thing, I thought you just shot it once!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am tired of hearing about it and another poll is not going to make the finish posts go away. A sticky that explains the XD finish, why it might rust or rub off, and the proper maintenace of the firearm might reduce the posts though. The biggest problem with the finish appears to be people's expectations of the finish.

\

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
There may be a Might regarding the rust but the stock finish on these guns just, shall we say there is no gravity the earth sucks!!

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Don't bet on SA doing anything about it. For every finish or other problems SA fixes they do a charge back to the Croatian XD manufacturer. It's more bread and butter (money) for SA. They not only make money off selling XD's they make money off fixing them. The Croatians make things the same way U.S. corporations do. Quantity first and quality second. They will not stop this process until they get caught with their pants down and 20,000 XD's in stock that haven't been sold yet. It will be a while before this happens but it will happen. It always does. Then and only then will they slow down enough to (hopefully) include quality into the process. In the mean time they keep raking in the bucks.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
And we keep buying em!

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The slide on my Tactical looks as good as it did when I bought it. With over 9,000 rounds through it and hundreds of draws, it shows little wear and zero rust. The same holds true for my Service model.

I knew going in that the XD's finish is not perfect, however, for me, the fix is simple. I wipe the slide down with a light oil, then follow up with Armadillo (every 1,000 rounds). The Armadillo not only protects the finish from moisture, but it adds a little lubrication to the slide (dry-lube) which helps with reducing wear marks during holstering and draws. This is my strategy, there are dozens more out there. I would rather pay $429 for an XD with the current finish than a $600 XD with a high-quality finish. That's just me. :)

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
You know you rarely ever hear about the insides of the slides rusting and they are coated in the same stuff as the outside.......maybe it because we don't touch the inside like we do the outside and not wipe off the acids from our hands. The Bruniral is made to soak stuff up like oils or water or humidity. So oil the thing. Hell I just left my 45gap tactical in the trunk for two weeks and no rust, I am now up to 8 or 9 xd and hs2000`s I lost count but none of them have rust problems. Rust is not a problem if it wipes off. when you get pitting or damage then rust is a problem. Oil and wipe of the slide thanks fro including the both option Old School.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
You know you rarely ever hear about the insides of the slides rusting and they are coated in the same stuff as the outside.......maybe it because we don't touch the inside like we do the outside and not wipe off the acids from our hands.
Worth quoting, and worth repeating:
ajamesp51 said:
You know you rarely ever hear about the insides of the slides rusting and they are coated in the same stuff as the outside.......maybe it because we don't touch the inside like we do the outside and not wipe off the acids from our hands.
Then what is worth saying once is worth saying again:
ajamesp51 said:
And then at the risk of repeating myself and others:
ajamesp51 said:
Well, I think you understand where I am coming from. If not...

From the mouth of babes:
ajamesp51 said:
But I might digress, so back to the original thought:
ajamesp51 said:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
:wink:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
After thoroughly treating my bi-tone with BW Armadillo on the outside and inside of the slide, and all over my barrel...

I went barbecuing on the 4th of July like any other red-blooded American man.

The inside of my slide was covered in rust the next morning, as was the exterior and interior of the barrel (interior had a nice coat of Disotec, but it proved to be too wimpy for my sweat).

True story, no BS.

Sure sure, I should have stripped it down and babied it right?

WRONG! I was drunk, so I put that **** in the safe instead of handling it.

But I sure as hell didn't expect to find all that rust.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The Armadillo did not stop my Bi-Tone from rusting at all.
It has worked well with my standard finish .40 so far but we shall see. I am good about wiping down after every handling and all of the other stuff I am supposed to do.
I do a good job of taking care of my gun. In my instance (with my Bi-Tone) I believe the finish to be at fault..not me.
That being said I think that SOME people expect that they can neglect their pistol and that you will not have rust problems. This is not really fair to SA.
It is not very XTREME that these pistols rust when they shouldnt.
I bet that about 1/2 of the actual rusting pistols are SA's fault and the other half user abuse/neglect.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
My Remington 870 has some rust on it and Ive only had it for 13 years! I was wandering if I sent it to Springfield, would they refinish it for me?

Rust is a common occurance to ferrous metals, you have to protect your gun from this occurance. Ive seen old S&W revolvers that rust and have close to no finish left, colts too.
Quit beating a dead horse!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts