Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK don't shoot lol im sure there are plenty of threads on this topic but i couldn't find the answers i wanted.... anyhow. I am looking to buy a Ruger in .357 and I am torn between the Blackhawk and Vaquero.. I have seen the old is better than new talk before. This is 99% of the time gonna be for fun shooting and maybe a second to my 12 gauge at home. Which one of these fine revolvers would you consider to be the most fun to shoot? Im not looking for 25 yd bulls eye so the sights from one to the other wont be a real big issue as long as i can see them he-he. Your opinions would be most appreciated. :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
I would suggest that you hold, and if you can, shoot them both, if possible. Holding to include working the action. One may feel more naturally to you than the other.

That said, I personally prefer the Blackhawk. I had a .357 6" barrel which I traded even up for a stainless Security Six 5". Loved that pistol. The only reason I traded was my Dad wanted it. So, he got it. All good. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have fiddled with the both of them a little just hoping for impressions from others who on one or both

·
Banned
38,920 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
I doubt you will go wrong with either one, they are very similiar. If you are buying a new one, it's pretty simple, you can just look up what specs/finish you want on the Ruger website and find one for sale. If you are buying used, you have to research each gun individually, because the models have changed slightly several times over the last 60 years or so. Slight variances between the many different calibers, barrel lengths, sights, finish and durability isn't cut and dry between the two models.

I have 2 blackhawks (.45 LC New Model and .357 Mag Old 3 screw). I prefer the old 3 screw model. I think it is higher quality, and the 6.5" barrel in my opinion is perfect balance for that style of revolver. My old 3 screw .357 Mag with a 6.5" barrel is heavier (I think more steel) and better shooting than my new model .45 LC with 7.5" barrel.

Blackhawks and Vaqueros are considered among the best SA revolvers made. Nearly all of them can shoot hotter loads than just about any pistol. They really last, and are very economical compared to their competetors.

·
Registered
192 Posts
get a double rig.
I wish someone would have told me this. I bought a single rig, and 2 months later bought another Blackhawk...What was it the old Lays chips ad said? Betcha can't eat just one?

Bet you'll buy more than one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts