Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've loved every round I've put through my XD40 until last night. My beloved father talked me into shooting a "mini" national match with my XD. For the record, we're talking one handed shooting. It starts at 50 yards with 2 rounds of 10 shots in 10 miniutes. Next comes 5 shots in 20 seconds, twice, at 25 yards. Finally, we have 5 shots in 10 seconds, twice, also at 25 yards.

Out of 60 rounds, five or so hit paper. Of course, the only two not shooting some fancy, hopped up target pistols were myself (XD) and my father (Glock 17). I did beat my father (DIE GLOCK DIE!!! :wink: ) but that was all.

Holding the weapon with both hands, I know I could kill paper at 25 yards( I think) but 50 seems a bit much. My question is this: Does anyone have any idea how much drop an XD40 seems to have at 25, 50 and/or more yards out? This alone would help my score.

Also, as an aside, has anyone else tried shooting this sort of competition with an XD and how did you fare?

Thanks.
Dave

·
Registered
298 Posts
At 50 yards depending on the type of ammo you shoot aim for 12 o'clock and you should hit center. My XD40 is POA so at a distance greater than 25 yard I tend to shoot 1 inch to 2 inches high with 180 gr.

Works for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The amount of drop will depend on the load your shooting. First drop is usually not fully understood. All bullets drop at the same rate for the most part, just several travel farther in that time, thus appearing to shoot flat.

If your shooting 124grn RN at 1000 FPS - 50 yards is 150 feet - roughly .15 seconds if shot out of a level gun, would drop roughly .36 feet. I know my math is off and negates some factors.

If you plan to shoot at that range use a large paper and test the ammo your using.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts