Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, not another rust topic.

Tonight, I noticed two stainless, or unfinished, SIG mags had a few touches of rust. So I tried to clean them up. Then I noticed my P220ST had some rust on the slide! I had read about this happening, but didn't see it coming. I should mention that I haven't cleaned it since I used it a couple weeks ago. The funny thing is, my XD never rusted, (until I left it on the lawn over night). And the XD mags are still ok. The SIG was kept in it's case the entire time. Of course my other Sig with a black finish is fine, but it's black finished mags had rust spots. Let's just say that I will pay more attention in the future.

My point is, I don't think the XD is sub-standard because of it's finish. I'm actually becoming more and more convinced that the XD is the perfect pistol. But now I see why some of you get so aggravated with rust.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I'm glad you see now. I've got a very very minute spot of rust on my barrell. To me, with the amount of cleaning and oiling I give this firearm, is not acceptable. The moral of the story is, there is CLEARLY a quality control problem with the finish on SA-XD pistols. Why would SO MANY people have theirs refinished if there wasn't? Why would A-james offer a refinish job even if there wasn't a huge demand for it? Because people are freaked out that their XD is going to rust like a motherfucker. Which it very well might. You all need to realize this is not the perfect firearm. I admit, it is a GREAT FIREARM. I have had Z E R O failure to fire, feed, eject, etc. with my XD, and in that respect, it is a fantasic gun. I am 100% confident trusting my life to it, but... you must admit, the finish sucks ass. If you (whom ever) can afford to have it recoated, you have had it done. Why? because you don't want rust. When is the last time you had your Ruger or S&W recoated? Never? wierd. The finish on the XD sucks. The debate is over.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm tired of people talking about this. Clearly, there is a problem. Lets not pretend that there isn't.

·
Registered
435 Posts
chupacabrachus said:
I'm glad you see now. I've got a very very minute spot of rust on my barrell. To me, with the amount of cleaning and oiling I give this firearm, is not acceptable. The moral of the story is, there is CLEARLY a quality control problem with the finish on SA-XD pistols. Why would SO MANY people have theirs refinished if there wasn't? Why would A-james offer a refinish job even if there wasn't a huge demand for it? Because people are freaked out that their XD is going to rust like a motherfucker. Which it very well might. You all need to realize this is not the perfect firearm. I admit, it is a GREAT FIREARM. I have had Z E R O failure to fire, feed, eject, etc. with my XD, and in that respect, it is a fantasic gun. I am 100% confident trusting my life to it, but... you must admit, the finish sucks ass. If you (whom ever) can afford to have it recoated, you have had it done. Why? because you don't want rust. When is the last time you had your Ruger or S&W recoated? Never? wierd. The finish on the XD sucks. The debate is over.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm tired of people talking about this. Clearly, there is a problem. Lets not pretend that there isn't.

I am on my 3rd XD and never a spec of rust. I use all of the BW products and then wipe down with CLP. I really think the coating of the Armadillo helps. I sent my newest XD to AJAMES because I wanted new sights and liked the looks of the matte black. I didn't have it done because I was afraid of rust. I would think that with all the color options that AJAMES and others offer, that a different look could be the reason some chose to have theirs refinished (like me), not just because of rust issues.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Thats funny I use my firearms and every stainless ruger I've ever owned has had problems with rust. If you use your firearms like they were ment to be used they will rust. Exposure to extreme humidity, sweat, water, being left in a case for long periods of time will cause issues. With the XD I personally think they used high carbon steel which is tough but does corrode fairly quickly. Clean it well and often and you can minimize any damage. Also high carbon does not take finish well.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
mike+p+ said:

Tonight, I noticed two stainless, or unfinished, SIG mags had a few touches of rust. So I tried to clean them up. Then I noticed my P220ST had some rust on the slide! I had read about this happening, but didn't see it coming. I should mention that I haven't cleaned it since I used it a couple weeks ago. The funny thing is, my XD never rusted, (until I left it on the lawn over night). And the XD mags are still ok. The SIG was kept in it's case the entire time. Of course my other Sig with a black finish is fine, but it's black finished mags had rust spots. Let's just say that I will pay more attention in the future.

My point is, I don't think the XD is sub-standard because of it's finish. I'm actually becoming more and more convinced that the XD is the perfect pistol. But now I see why some of you get so aggravated with rust.
P229's and P226's that are .357's and .40's have stainless slides and should not rust. My USPSA pistol is a 229 that had the finish bead blasted off of the slide and has seen MANY hot humid days and lots of sweat, rain, and abuse, never a speck of rust. It suprises me that your 229ST rusted, its not uncommon for a Sig mag to rust though, several of mine have after being left untouched for a few days after a match. My Ruger single action is stainless and has never seen a spec of rust and it gets abused pretty good during deer season. Last year I hunted in the rain and didnt even wipe it down for a week, never rusted.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Don't forget, stainless can and does rust too; it is just less likely that this will happen. Also, if you get a bad "mix" of stainless, it'll be more prone to rust. My stainless PPK has been just fine, keep anything lightly coated with oil and the possibility of rust falls dramatically...

-stunks

·
Registered
595 Posts
Coarsely textured stainless finishes and coarse textured bare metal for that matter, are more prone to rusting therefore requiring a topcoat protectant. (I.E. wax,paint,oil,teflon,etc.) I polished my stainless XD9 to a chrome smooth finish with Mother's brand mag and metal polish. The smooth texture makes it less prone to "stain" and although the slide is now harder to grip with bare hands while racking, I shoot with gloves thus overcoming the problem.

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you're storing firearms for several weeks without tending to them, it would be wise to place a silicon dessicant pack in the case to absorb excess moisture. There are other products on the market that do the same thing. It worked for me when I was out of the country for several weeks.

B9

·
Registered
140 Posts
mike+p+ said:

:shock:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts