Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read where people talk about what gun they have next to their bed, what ammo they use for home defense, and so one. I never see any mention about hearing protection for in the house. I have personally shoot a .45 inside a house without any ear protection and it was not fun.

I have trained with my wife so that if I say "EARS" she knows there is trouble and to put plugs in her ears. We keep some in each room. I am hoping others are doing the same. A gunfight inside a house or small room WILL be deafening.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I agree to a point. If you use plugs how do you hear what is going on around you???
Inquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Within 5 hours, CarlWinslo will be responding to this thread about the merits of a silenced KRISS for Home Defense. Along with this statement, he'll post a picture of said KRISS and I'll get extremely jealous.

As for my actual response....I train with ear protection, obviously. But as the above poster pointed out, it's more advantageous to me to be able to hear what's going on before a potential deadly force situation occurs. Unprotected ears during an unexpected gun fight are an unfortunate circumstance, and with time not being a luxury in such an unexpected event, wasting time putting your ear plugs in isn't a good idea. IMHO, of course.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
I keep a set of Peltor Tac-6's next to the HD pistol--if, and a BIG if I am afforded the luxury of time, I will don them--AFTER I have the weapon in my hand and ready.

However, if I don't...well, I would rather get hearing aides or even learn sign language than fret about my hearing in a life or death situation...and I think folks who place a higher priority on their hearing have seriously lost sight of the big picture.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
"honey, you hear that? Sounds like someone is breaking in."
"Where are my teeth?"
"Have you seen my glasses?"
"Now, where did I put those ear plugs?"
"Dammit, the dog chewed em up. Any Kleenex over there?"
"Here, hold the flashlight."

"Um, honey, do you hear someone giggling?"

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Do you or your wife really have time to put earplugs in your ears prior to addressing a viable threat? In our home, in the time it would take for me to recognize a treat, retrieve a weapon, yell "EARS!", have my wife retrieve foam ear plugs, compress the foam plugs, and insert them into her ears, an armed threat could easily neutralize the both us. IMHO, that time is better spent arming yourself, retreating to a safer, defensive location, dialing 911, et. al.

I agree the noise and overpressure of discharging any weapon in the confines of a house will cause diminished hearing and communication. Is that temporary diminishment of hearing any worse that the hearing diminishment caused by ear plugs?

Have you considered a suppressor for your home defense weapon? (I did, and I have one on my HDW). We also have 2 sets of Pro Ears Gold hanging in the safe next to our HDW which will be helpful if I decide to grab our Sig 556 or Benelli M4 rather than my suppressed .45.

You obviously have put considerable consideration into this issue. My goal hers is to add more food for thought.

Best wishes!

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts
Don;t forget to ask the inttruders to don their hearing protection and safety glasses as well. No need for any one to suffer hearing loss in a life and death battle that will hopefully never happen. If you're shooting people on a weekly basis, move!

Keep some toilet paper in every room. You can use it to clean up your pants afterwards :)

PS: I sell safety products and am somewhat of a Mr. Safety but there is a time and place to worry about getting your ears on. A home invasion is not one of them.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
This:

Within 5 hours, CarlWinslo will be responding to this thread about the merits of a silenced KRISS for Home Defense. Along with this statement, he'll post a picture of said KRISS and I'll get extremely jealous.
And also this:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
actually we both have muff next to our bed side. If yuou have been involved in a gunfight inside a house, without ear protection you understand that after the 1st shot, you will be slightly disorientated. I am speaking from experience.

Like the thread title says, A Passing Thought, do as you see fit for your situation.

No I do not have a silencer for my bedside gun.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I'm not worried about my ears during a home invasion. If fact ears would be one of my last concerns.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Someone busts in my home, I really doubt Im going to spend the time to get plugs/muffs on. Im grabbing my firearm and and protecting myself and family straight away.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Rather be deaf than dead.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, but seconds are important.

From where I sleep I can have my hand on my gun in 1-2 seconds. It's literally a foot and a half from my head. I'm not sure I'm going to worry about hearing protection when the whole point of being prepared for a threat is being prepared in as little time as possible.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Getting back to cuda's Peltors, ANY sound enhancing muffs would give you more of an advantage given the time. May be able to determine how many you are up against, say.

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
I'm in the camp of when seconds count you don't have time for hearing protection. What about the flash in a dark room at night, how do you control that? I guess you can close your eyes when you pull the trigger but my guess is you are so full of adrenalin at that point you'll forget. Now we have hearing and sight disorientation. Maybe you won't be firing more than 1 shot but maybe 5, who knows? In a perfect world but when faced with this type of scenario it's anything but.

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, but seconds are important.

From where I sleep I can have my hand on my gun in 1-2 seconds. It's literally a foot and a half from my head. I'm not sure I'm going to worry about hearing protection when the whole point of being prepared for a threat is being prepared in as little time as possible.
I've woken up this way a few times. Wife has a mean streak. ;-)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Having hunted with large caliber rifles for years I can safely say that I have more hearing damage from the rock concerts I've attended.

I'm sure it's happened more than once but the only permanent hearing loss from an armed encounter I'm aware of was an officer who fired a magnum round at a suspect while they were both seated in a car with the windows rolled up.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have heard; am not experienced, that during extreme crisis such as gun fights, hearing is not a priority. It's said the gun blast isn't really loud. Like I say, that's what I've heard.

I do know when I was kinda new at hunting, the report of the rifle was almost non-existant when shooting at game. I know I'm not experienced at gunfights and hope I never claim to be.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts