Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
This was discussed ad nauseam on other forms.
I cannot stop myself from repeating several points:
  1. At the moment when everyone is looking for 9mm, the video shows manufacturing expensive .357 SIG, packed in very expensive plastic boxes by HAND.
  2. The biggest crunch is for 22LR, right?
  3. The crucial hunting round is 30-06.
Yeah...

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've been buying Federal direct through their website since this whole thing started, placing 1-2 orders a month. Early on, they were taking 3 weeks or so for delivery with 5 box limits.

Recently they've been delivering in 3-5 days, but only 2 box limits.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
This was discussed ad nauseam on other forms.
I cannot stop myself from repeating several points:
  1. At the moment when everyone is looking for 9mm, the video shows manufacturing expensive .357 SIG, packed in very expensive plastic boxes by HAND.
  2. The biggest crunch is for 22LR, right?
  3. The crucial hunting round is 30-06.
Yeah...
People still own 30.06?

I haven't seen one of those in a long time. My grandpa used to hunt with one back in the 70's & 80's.
Maybe they just lost popularity in this state, I don't know anyone that still owns one.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I saw that video on YouTube and thought it was very well done and speaks right to the point. Having just acquired my first AR-type rifle (LWRC FWIW) I kinda knew ammo would be a bit tough to find and that's proven to be correct. My local GS's tend to not have anything I need or want in stock, most are loath put anyone on a waiting list so I reverted to shopping online. That's worked out nicely for me as I'll only deal with those who do have the "notify when in stock" option, payment not due until product is ready to ship.

Costs have sky rocketed but it is what it is---I don't foresee any huge price drops any time in the near or distant future.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Premium ammo and hollow points haven't inflated as much percentage wise. Makes more sense to stock up on those even if it's less rounds per dollar. I've found Federal HST 9mm at msrp a number of times this year.

·
Registered
374 Posts
yep, he is a victim.... PEOPLE don't you see it ???? ? he is making 9mm and 5.56 he is selling to the Government, not to us civilians. And that has been the plan for a long time, no ammo guns are useless .

·
Registered
378 Posts
yep, he is a victim.... PEOPLE don't you see it ???? ? he is making 9mm and 5.56 he is selling to the Government, not to us civilians. And that has been the plan for a long time, no ammo guns are useless .
If that's your concern, buy Hornady instead. But Hornady doesn't sell direct, nor update their stocks daily. Which is why I've been buying Federal and Armscor.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If that's your concern, buy Hornady instead. But Hornady doesn't sell direct, nor update their stocks daily. Which is why I've been buying Federal and Armscor.

I hate Hornady bullets, and please give me the link where is federal ammo now and not at $80.00 for 50 rounds.

·
Registered
378 Posts
They've only had odd ball calibers in stock on their website.

Armscor has 9mm and 223/556 in stock. But shipping is the killer, brings 100 rounds of 9mm for $90.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Honestly would love to know who is buying all this way overpriced ammo....and what's being done with it (hoarded I assume).

Before all this craziness, I'd go to the range at least once a week to put a hundred or so rounds down the pipe. Did this for years. The club I belong to, you have to sign in with your member number each trip. If you looked back through the sign in book it was always the same few members who shot on a regular basis, couple times each week. That was when ammo was "cheap".

Now I go maybe once a month and there are even fewer members shooting on a regular basis. Point being....where is all the ammo that's being purchased going? Granted, I have a relatively small sample size with my club, but I sure don't see anyone using it to practice (i.e....there's so many new shooters we can't keep up with demand).

And, the guy in the video is a whiner, and doesn't put his company in a good light. Put your big boy pants on and figure it out. Complaining about too high a demand and your inability to meet it...maybe he's not the right man for the job. YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
29,825 Posts
Honestly would love to know who is buying all this way overpriced ammo....and what's being done with it (hoarded I assume).

Before all this craziness, I'd go to the range at least once a week to put a hundred or so rounds down the pipe. Did this for years. The club I belong to, you have to sign in with your member number each trip. If you looked back through the sign in book it was always the same few members who shot on a regular basis, couple times each week. That was when ammo was "cheap".

Now I go maybe once a month and there are even fewer members shooting on a regular basis. Point being....where is all the ammo that's being purchased going? Granted, I have a relatively small sample size with my club, but I sure don't see anyone using it to practice (i.e....there's so many new shooters we can't keep up with demand).

And, the guy in the video is a whiner, and doesn't put his company in a good light. Put your big boy pants on and figure it out. Complaining about too high a demand and your inability to meet it...maybe he's not the right man for the job. YMMV, of course.
I don’t think you get it.

If every other ammo company was having no problems keeping up with orders, but Federal wasn't, you’d have a point about whining.

But that ain't the case, is it?

They're doing what they can to meet demand...but also realize that for several years, ammo costs were declining due to reduced demand. This means ammo companies had slowed production for the past few years. When this whole thing hit, it was almost literally overnight...and try as they might, there’s no way they could scale up production fast enough to keep up with demand, let alone get the raw materials fast enough (global pandemic, remember? Most of their metals come from overseas...) even if they could.

Fact is? Anyone who wasn’t buying ammo and/or components in 2017-early 2020 when the prices were good only have themselves to blame for being short now.

·
Premium Member
18,054 Posts
Fact is? Anyone who wasn’t buying ammo and/or components in 2017-early 2020 when the prices were good only have themselves to blame for being short now.
I laid in a pretty good store of 9mm and way too much .22LR... But then I go and do something dumb like pick up a new caliber rifle and... ooops.

At my "normal" rate of range visits, I figure I've got at least 2 years of 9mm... I think I can hold out until I collect what I need to start reloading.

·
Registered
554 Posts
... But then I go and do something dumb like pick up a new caliber rifle and... ooops.
Also guilty. I said I wasn't going to do that, especially in current times, but then I decided I wanted a .45-70 lever action. I managed to score some (only slightly) overpriced ammo and had good timing on obtaining reloading components, so I'm good for a while. I'm kinda surprised Federal and Hornady are trickling out .45-70 ammo, even now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts