Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read in the Q&A section of CZ Forum that the WWB in 100 round boxes have a different extractor groove than is found in the 50 round boxes and can cause problems in individual guns, regardless of make or model. I hope no one minds mentioning another forum, but there is a pretty good Q&A about quality inexpensive ammo.

Now I'll try my XD with WWB in the 50 round box and see if it has any problems!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have boxes of both the 100 and 50 WWB in 9mm. They look exactly the same to me, including the extractor groove. At the Winchester site, I think they are also listed as the same product number.

I would be surprised if they were different.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Understanding a little bit about the manufacturing world and how costs & profits are involved, I'd be SHOCKED if they were different. Why would Winchester have two different molds/assembly lines/whatever for the rounds that go into a 100pk vs the ones that go into a 50pk? It makes no sense why they would do this--it'd be a waste of money and they've been around long enough to know it. Maybe somebody compared rounds from two different lots or something and noticed a difference...but it just makes no sense from a business point of view why they would do that.

WWB 100pks have functioned flawlessly for me, and I'm at over 2000 rounds on my XD40 (mostly WWB, but a few hundred have been Blazer, UMC, etc...).

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Understanding a little bit about the manufacturing world and how costs & profits are involved, I'd be SHOCKED if they were different.
Manufactures make changes quite often, sometimes too often. As far as casings go I say you are correct just because there's not much changing you can do to them. Because the casings have to work in various guns it would make better sense to change the design of the extractor in a particular weapon rather than changing the casings.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
With my XD I've had no issue with 9mm 50rd but I've had FTE from 100rd packs somewhat.

From the way big business is anymore, it wouldn't suprise me that at least the 100rd packs are somehow "2nds" (not in a sense they're unsafe, just perhaps on the lowest tolerances for error and fliers).

Walmart brings nearly $1 extra from someone who buys two 50s instead of a value pack.

The biggest thing I wonder is on 40 and 45 if they'd claim the same is true...whether the cartridges are different or not beings since they're both in the normal trays rather than the bulk box like the 9mm?

·
Registered
29 Posts
my .40 tac is just the opposite. i almost always have 1 out of the 50ct. that ftf. with the 100ct. i have never had a problem. i also have not had any problems with any other ammo remmington, federal, cci, s&b

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
TXD said:
my .40 tac is just the opposite. i almost always have 1 out of the 50ct. that ftf. with the 100ct. i have never had a problem. i also have not had any problems with any other ammo remmington, federal, cci, s&b
Is the stuff that fails to feed the 180 grain stuff? If so, that's exactly the same as with my 40.

·
Registered
416 Posts
9mm lover said:
I just read in the Q&A section of CZ Forum that the WWB in 100 round boxes have a different extractor groove than is found in the 50 round boxes and can cause problems in individual guns, regardless of make or model. I hope no one minds mentioning another forum, but there is a pretty good Q&A about quality inexpensive ammo.

Now I'll try my XD with WWB in the 50 round box and see if it has any problems!
That doesn't make any sense. Why the heck would Winchester make two separate production runs to different specs for the same caliber. The internet is truly a marvel. :roll:

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
It may not be two lines of production, but they take a statistical sample of a batch and if it meets one set of criteria pack it one way, if it meets another spec pack it another way. This is all conjecture, but the Winchester bulk does seem to cause more than its share of problems in a wide range of pistol designs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The only difference between the 100 and 50 WWB is that the 100 is packed loosely and the 50 is not. This according to Winchester. They also said there might be some confunsion because they relatively recently came out with a modified accurized version (with the copper bullet vs the brass color bullet), and some might be comparring the two different versions. But all the new stuff is the new version and exactly the same, whether you buy 50 or 100.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Brander said:
The only difference between the 100 and 50 WWB is that the 100 is packed loosely and the 50 is not.
The 9mm is loose the rest ( .40 .38 .45) are packed just like the 50
I have been through about 2000 rounds (different calibers) and had no problems with the WWB ammo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts