Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I've been reloading for most of this year, both 9mm and .45acp. The loads are now consistent and accurate. Unfortunately, my 9's cause an occasional problem. About once or twice out of 100 rounds fired, the slide fails to go into battery. I don't mean the kind where a gentle push on the slide seats it. I mean where I have to "thwack" the rear of the slide on a hard object (pointing downrange, of course!). Thus, I really don't think it's a recoil spring issue. If I remove that round before whacking it into place, and put it into another mag (or even the same mag), it goes without a hitch. My 9mm rounds are loaded to 1.165", with a 0.344" crimp (same as WWB, which works fine). I'm using 124gr. fmj over 6.0gr. of Power Pistol. The rounds drop into the chamber. Any thoughts?

Chuck

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Check the COAL might be that the round is a bit too long, also try a bit more crimp.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
1.160 is max for some 9mm fmj's. I run berrys tmj 115 at a 1.133 oal. I am betting that your oal is too long. The slide trying to chamber the round could drop it a thousandth of an inch or two and that could be why if you put it in another mag it will chamber.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
If there is a problem with a particular round, ejecting it and then rechambering it really should not change anything, except the possibility that the bullet was seated a bit further into the case during chambering. If this is the case, you should see a ring on the bullet whre it made contact with the lands. Does it take a hard pull on the slide to extract the unfired round?

Try taking your barrel out and dropping your rounds into it and see where the back of the cases locate. They should not be even or protruding past the back of the barrel hood. Drop a unprimed and sized case into the barrel to see how far it can go in. It will give you an idea what you are looking for. This won't tell you if you are too short, just too long.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A few years ago I started having a reload every now and then that the slide would not close on. I got a lee factory crimp die and since then I have 0 fail to close.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. I use the Lee FCD. I'm going to try shorter COL's, but the WWB at the same COL works fine. The next box of 50 will be shorter- maybe 1.135.

Chuck

·
Registered
516 Posts
That long of a COL with a 123 gn bullet will cause the issue you are reporting. The ogive on a 124 gn bullet is different that a on a 115gn. That difference with a long COL is the issue.

·
Registered
891 Posts
actually, the ogive isn't necessarily the same even of bullets the same grain weight and style(FMJ,JHP) if they come from different manufacturers. WW is not the same as RP for instance.

·
Registered
905 Posts
redyak3- Alliant and Speer both list 6.4gr. as a max. Go figure!

Chuck
It seems that Hornady seems to err on the "safe" side. I haven't had any issues with their recipes.
I've wondered why there is so much variation..
The test gun Hornady used in the manual for the 9mm was a S&W Model 39, 4 inch barrel w/1 in 10 twist.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I had the same problem with my "match grade" barrel. I put an extra RCBS sizing die (w/o the decaper) in the last position (fourth on a Dillon 550). I think that it is the tighter tolerances and a little deformation of the brass during the operation of expanding that causes the brass to expand beyond the limits. My final measurement at the mouth of the 9mm is 373.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Edubya- as I wrote earlier, my crimp is 0.374. I'm not sure that 0.001" would be that critical, especially in a combat pistol. My rounds drop into the chamber just fine. I've loaded up 50 rounds at 1.135" col, and 5.6gr. of PP. I'll see how those work.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
actually, the ogive isn't necessarily the same even of bullets the same grain weight and style(FMJ,JHP) if they come from different manufacturers. WW is not the same as RP for instance.
he he....he said ogive.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Edubya- as I wrote earlier, my crimp is 0.374. I'm not sure that 0.001" would be that critical, especially in a combat pistol. My rounds drop into the chamber just fine. I've loaded up 50 rounds at 1.135" col, and 5.6gr. of PP. I'll see how those work.

Chuck
That should do better. You are too long. WWB is long, but slender. If you look at Blazer and Remington, they are at 1.150. You should be able to match that with any FMJ. 1.14 is about as long as you can get with lead of that weight.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Follow-up: I ran 150 rounds through my XD9 today, at the new length of 1.135". 100 were backed by 6.0gr. of Power Pistol, 50 by 5.6gr. 100% function of the gun, and pretty accurate! I'm settling on the 5.6gr. load. Thanks all.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I run my PD 124 FMJ's at 1.135"

·
Registered
160 Posts
My OAL is 1.143, 115gr fmj Delta bullet, 5.57 gr Power Pistol no problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts