Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fobus holsters for my glocks, but I am in love with my new XD-40.
How hard is fobus holsters on the finish? What other holsters do you all use
for ccw?
Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
The only thing funky about the g-code paddle is that it rides a bit high. If you can live with that it's pretty good. Just don't get the lowering paddle! It will make it ride lower, but it blocks off the area where your thumb would go when you draw.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a DeSantis Viper for my XD40....I carry it every day, and it is very very comfprtable.

- - Cowboy

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I use the Fobus because it was cheap and easy to obtain.
If you like Fobus for your Glocks, get one for your XD.

A finish will wear regardless of the holster unless you've got some Star Trek way of holding it without anything actually touching the gun! :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
I like the fobus.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a fobus as well and like it a lot. Unforntunately I've had it and my XD for too short of a time to comment on whether or not it wears on the finish. A good friend of mine has had his for some time now and I didn't notice any signs of wear, granted I wasn't looking too closely at it at the time.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've got an Uncle Mike's paddle for my XD40, and a Fobus for my Ruger P95. The UM draws smoother IMHO, has adjustable retention, and is adjustable cant. The Fobus (for about the same money), doesn't have adjustable retention, doesn't have adjustable cant, but is easier to get off my belt if I'm taking the holster off. The UM really requires removing belt and then working the holster off. Out of the two, I probably prefer the UM, but I'm really a fan of leather so I've ordered a Don Hume from Pistol-Gear. :) Kydex has its benefits, and for a quick use holster (grab it and go) the paddle is great, but if I'm going to carry regularly I'd prefer the leather personally.

Matthew

·
Registered
242 Posts
The fobus is designed to achieve retention by snapping over the trigger guard, not by friction along the entire firearm. Therefore, I apply silicone spray lubricant to the inside of all my Fobii. (Spray the old non-ecofriendly silicone lube, let it sit briefly, then wipe dry with a paper towel). This greatly reduces friction against the gun but doesn't affect retention.

So far it's worked fine for me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
msidner said:
The UM really requires removing belt and then working the holster off.
That's my only gripe about the UM paddle. It's like trying to unhook a fish getting it off my pants. I like the holster itself, and the adjustability options. They just need to make a better paddle IMO.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not sure if you all have seen the new Springfield XD-Gear Paddle Holster (the same one they are advertising as a free-bee when you buy an XD) but I got one from Old-School just this past week and it is pretty nice.

FYI, I used to have a Fobus paddle holster and sold it shortly after I got it cause I just didn't like how tightly it gripped my XD. I mean, a firm grip is good but a death grip is just not necessary. When I would draw, my damn pants would practically ride up to my armpit before it would release!

What I really like about this holster is the fact that you can adjust the cant 360* in any of the 4 adjustable height positions! The Fobus paddle holster I had could only adjust the cant, not the height.

Also - The XD holster has the built in rails to house your lights/lasers or whatever. Pretty sweet. And best of all, it's only $30 bux.

Here is the full list of features.....

FEATURES:
* Upper & lower rail for accessory attachment
* One-piece injection-mold holster
* Adjustable tension for secure pistol retention
* 4 height adjustments for custom fit
* 360 degree cant adjustment on each height setting
* Fits all 3-inch, 4-inch & 5-inch XD Pistols

I can post some pics later on today when I get back home if you'd like to see it on a person vs. just seeing the marketing pics.

·
Registered
161 Posts
blkhawk303 said:
Not sure if you all have seen the new Springfield XD-Gear Paddle Holster (the same one they are advertising as a free-bee when you buy an XD) but I got one from Old-School just this past week and it is pretty nice.
Do you use it for concealed carry? If so, does it hold tightly enough against the body to actually remained concealed?

Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
blkhawk
How close to your body is it when you have it on.It looks like it would
stick out to far form the pics I've seen of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey ya'll. I also recently purchased the Springfield XD-Gear Paddle Holster. I found that with it's adjustability I was able to get a great draw from it, but it sticks out away from my skinny a** way too much for concealed carry. I'm thinking about finding a way to mount it under the seat in the pick-up truck and get some use out of it that way.

Well, hell, I was going to throw some pics up, but the holster is the truck that my buddy borrowed for the day. I'll put them up as soon as I get the chance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hiya

I settled on two holsters: G-code paddle. Fits very nice, fast access, I can wear this conceal carry only with a large thick untucked shirt, but use the holster for USPSA matches.

Recently, picked up a Tucker Answer. Worth every penny, I wear it CCW for 8 hours at a stretch, very comfortable. All screw heads etc.. are hidden, nothing touching your flesh but very nice smooth suede. I think for an IWB the tucker (and others of the type) with either Kydex or rigid lip are a good choice for one-handed reholstering. Makes practicing at the range easier, and much safer as you don't have to have your weak hand involved to re-holster.

cheers

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
blkhawk303 said:

FYI, I used to have a Fobus paddle holster and sold it shortly after I got it cause I just didn't like how tightly it gripped my XD. I mean, a firm grip is good but a death grip is just not necessary. When I would draw, my damn pants would practically ride up to my armpit before it would release!
I bought the XD holster from Ajames, and I like it but unfortunately the retention is akin to using red loctite. Even with the retention screw completely removed, the holster comes right out of my belt on the draw every time. Ajames suggested I boil the holster and place the XD in it to stretch it out; I'm gonna give it a shot.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Fess said:
blkhawk
How close to your body is it when you have it on.It looks like it would
stick out to far form the pics I've seen of it.
I really bought this holster (the XD-Gear holster) as a "range" type holster for either my 3" of 4" if I have my wife or someone with me and I'm using the Cendex Nighthawk that I also have (and love BTW). It's perfect for that. As for CCW use or to try and use it for IDPA or something like that, I'd look elsewhere.

Here are the pics of me "trying" to conceal it. As you can see, with just a long T-Shirt, it still prints significantly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts