Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a speck of rust on my barrel, so I went to work. Dremel tool with a Dremel polishing pad and No. 421 polishing compound. It now has a mirror finish. Be careful. It gets HOT when you are working on it. I had to stop several times and put it in the freezer for a few minutes. I was a lot more comfortable doing it this way over using sand paper. This method should only result in microscopic changes in the dimensions of the piece being worked. I might take on the controls next. I know someone is going to flame me for taking the 'Protective Finish' off of the parts. Hell, all you have to do is breathe on it and it rusts anyway. I have to oil it daily to keep the rust off, so it might as well be looking sharp when it is done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hold on...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take that as a compliment coming from you ajames. I am going to have you coat my slide later. Just need funds.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did it between 'honey-doos' and probably had about two hours total in the job. The biggest time consumer was stopping every fifteen minutes or so and putting the barrel in the freezer for about fifteen minutes. It was worth it though, it looks much better in person than my low resolution camera shows.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It doesn't get hot enough to effect the molecular structure of the metal. It just gets too hot to hold onto. That was the guage I used to keep from getting it too hot. (Not using a tool or rags to hold onto the barell as I worked on it.) Didn't freeze it either. Just let it cool to where you could handle it again. I think we're completely safe. Ajames looked at the work and if there was a problem with affecting the metal, I'm sure he would have piped in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I work outside and the gun rests aginst my side. I sweat a lot when I get hot and it has been hot around here. I have had problems with moisture actually getting INSIDE the gun and rusting the back of the controls and the barrel. I can't really blame the gun. It will probably clear up considerably over the winter when She will move to a shoulder rig. She's is just like a fine blonde...High Maintainence. But if you Love her, you pay the price :wink:

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
My mind is made up. I am gonna polish my barrel, I have already done the controls and the hood of the slide. They look great and I have had no rust problems at all. But then again I am a fanatic about wipeing my gun off daily.

That looks great, I have some polish I use on my motorcyle I am gonna try, and it has a sealer that should help protect against rust.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Post some pics for us...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts