Springfield XD Forum banner

A few AR upgrades

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  T.J. 
#1 ·
I posted some pictures of my first AR build not that long ago. I had planned on keeping it nice and simple, but it looks like I just don't have that in me. I started out with a CMMG lower and mid length upper, Magpul CTR stock, and a carry handle for optics. Before:

Since that time, I have added a few upgrades:

New railed midlength handguards with tango down rail covers:

SPOT Red Dot Mark III Scope:

Magpul MIAD Mission Grip:

See less See more
#2 ·
I just got my SPOT on Friday. I really like it and can't wait to take it out, although I didn't think the optics would be as "blue" tinted as they are, but that is ok.

#6 ·
What rail hand guard is that? 2 piece?

Looks good either way.
I would like the CTR stock on my CMMG.

Magpul grip looks nice to.

Shot that thing yet?

Yes sir, 2 piece hand guard. The grip makes a huge difference and was well worth the money. The tango down guard rails are very sturdy and I really like how they look. Although I have never had any other stock, the CTR is very solid and also well worth the money.

Still haven't shot the thing! Who knows what it will look like by the time I finally get to fire it! :D

#7 ·
Yea the they look nice. I was going to get the milspec CTR and a magpul grip like that at the GSO gun show. But just didnt.. No reason. I want the CTR for sure actually went and had one in my hands but just put it back down lol, had to fight the urge.

Look on the bright side, you get a chance to stock up on some ammo, so you have more to shoot when you go out!

#8 ·
Yea the they look nice. I was going to get the milspec CTR and a magpul grip like that at the GSO gun show. But just didnt.. No reason. I want the CTR for sure actually went and had one in my hands but just put it back down lol, had to fight the urge.

Look on the bright side, you get a chance to stock up on some ammo, so you have more to shoot when you go out!

That's a good way to look at it. It is hard to run out of ammo when you never shoot. :-D

#9 ·
Yes sir, 2 piece hand guard. The grip makes a huge difference and was well worth the money. The tango down guard rails are very sturdy and I really like how they look. Although I have never had any other stock, the CTR is very solid and also well worth the money.

Still haven't shot the thing! Who knows what it will look like by the time I finally get to fire it! :D
dude seriously go shoot the dam thing what do i need to do drive there and drag you out of your house and force you to go to the range. for the love of god pop that things cherry already. you need me to send you some ammo. ive got an extra round or two.

since i started reloading i look for every possible reason to go to the range heck just tonight i took 20rd of 223, 500 rounds of 22lr and hit the range. i came back with about 200 pieces of 223 brass and a ton of .40; 9mm, .45 auto brass as well as some 30.06, 30.30 and 7.64x39 brass i will have absolutely no use for other than to trade it for something i can use. i actually went tonight to pick up what .223 brass i could get my hands on for a practical rifle match this coming weekend.

#12 ·
Are you going to put something on the handguards besides covers? I don't quite understand why you would go to the expense of adding a railed handguard then covering it up with rail covers. Seems like no one is cool unless you have a quad rail these days. :D
heh, I'm in that same boat. my thinking was I know that I will add vfg and tac-light but not yet. so might as well get the 4rail in the initial set-up to save money in the long run. currently my handguards are also just 'mounted' with rail covers... for now that is.

#13 ·
Are you going to put something on the handguards besides covers? I don't quite understand why you would go to the expense of adding a railed handguard then covering it up with rail covers. Seems like no one is cool unless you have a quad rail these days. :D

I love how the tango down covers look. I also plan on adding a light eventually, so that was my reasoning.

#14 ·
Rail covers, will make it more comfortable to grip your railed handguards. They make a BIG difference on them. I just got some KAC panels for my rails, and I think it looks great.

One of the reasons why people put rail covers on their rail system is to protect them from getting dinged up.

#20 ·
i don't always run something on my H-G but i cant see the point in reconfiguring it every time i want to slap on a VFG or Light,

i like the Magpul ladder covers as they are easily cut to fit around attachments

oh and they are a perfect match with my other Magpul gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.