Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Glad I noticed this, white box Winchester ammo. Something tells me this might not fire as well as expected.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've gone through five or six boxes of WWB in the last month or two and have not noticed any rounds like this. It sounds like I better start checking it out.

Randy

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've shot hundreds of these rounds (prior to getting my 1k S&B rounds from BulkAmmo.com!) And this is the first erroneous round I've come across. You say this occurrence is happening more often?
I can't recall which (WWB or Remington) I got from walmart, but they left the filthiest powder residue on the outside of the slide and all over the inside. The Sellier & Bellot just seems *much* cleaner. On the other hand, I've also heard talk stating the S&B wasn't that clean. Is there a beautifully clean ammo out there I just haven't heard of?

·
Registered
407 Posts
ouch! i'd take the box back if you can. depending on where you got it they might do something about it. i once opened a box of remington .45acp rounds while i was at my local sporting good store (blacksheep) and noticed a primer mashed into the casing sideways (UGLY)... so i took the box up to the manager just so he would know. i told him that out of the 100's of boxes of that stuff i've purchased and shot-i've never had a problem with it before. so he took that round out of the box. put a new price on it ($6 off!) and handed it to me.

he was happy. i was happy. and my gun was happy. :cool:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've gone through five or six boxes of WWB in the last month or two and have not noticed any rounds like this. It sounds like I better start checking it out.

Randy
My biggest worry is what would have happened if I had been loading my mags absentmindedly and attempted to fire this round. I have nothing but faith in my XDM, but it is still a handy reminder that not all factory rounds are made equal...

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Can't see how it would even chamber. So it probably would not have been any danger problem in a range situation. Not so good if you really needed that round to load and fire for SD.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yeah that probably wouldn't chamber. Although I personally haven't had an issue with WWB, there seem to be more than a few cases like this popping up on the internet. I guess their QC really is going downhill to meet demand.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Is there a beautifully clean ammo out there I just haven't heard of?
dont know about beautiful but both federal champion and speer lawman that ive shot were pretty clean.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
If you think about how many millions of rounds the ammo companies are making having a few be wrong is a certainty. In the age of the internet we just hear about it more often.

On the smashed primer thing, how did they not notice then the primer went bang?

·
Premium Member
127,714 Posts
Wow! Glad you noticed that. I shoot about 5000 rounds of WWB a year in various calibers and have had only one problem. When I brought it to the attention of Winchester they send me 500 rounds for my troubles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow. I've shot guns all my short life (in my late twenties), I've gotten shotgun and rifle merit badge, but beyond that, I've only had informal training with relatives and friends. I've never heard anyone suggest inspecting your ammo. Does anyone give each round a good once over? I think I may have to start doing so. Especially since the speers and rangers have been killing my wallet. When I bought my XDM .40 a while back, I knew .40 was a little more expensive than 9mm, but I didn't expect to pay double for ammo what I paid for the gun in the first 6 months...

Glad you caught that bad one. Makes me rethink getting budget ammo.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
When I load my mags, I roll the bullet with my thumb then I make sure it is seated all the way back. Inspection works by by feel and sight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looking through every round in a box of 20 or so is easy, but WWB is a grab & go item to inspect during loading. Good catch.

Nevermind the white box, some PDX1 I was buying had a casing very similar to that one. Handed it back to the salesman and said, "another box please, this one should have been rejected."

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had another experience with WWB. The 2nd to last box of 100 I bought only had 99 rounds in it. Didn't think too much about it, but still kind of irked me that I got shorted. Then, the funny thing is, the last box of 100 I bought had 101 rounds in it. I guess they felt bad and paid me back!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I shot five hundred rounds of WWB two weekends ago and noticed exactly one round like the one in the OP.

Of the thousand+ rounds I've shot of WWB, it's the only one I've found that was faulty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
At the range a few weeks ago, one of the fellows shooting in our group found one that I am pretty sure (but not positive) was WWB, where the bullet just fell out of the casing as he was preparing to load it in the mag.

Like others have said, out of millions of rounds, a few "duds" are a given.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
I haven't had any problems with WWB, but no product is 100% defect-free. If I saw a problem like that with expensive, life-saving, carry ammo I'd be upset. For inexpensive range ammo, not so much.

As others have said, the round probably would not chamber. If it did chamber, it would probably fire without incident. The chamber, not the case, contains the propellant explosion. That is why the 'unsupported chamber' in Glock .45s occasionally allows a case blowout.

Not saying I would load it, just that inadvertently loading it would probably not hurt anything.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ive shot several thousand rounds of WWB and I have two problems with rounds. The first round looked almost just like that one, although I did not notice the round when I loaded it into my mag. Luckily for me the round failed to chamber fully and I did not discharge the round. The second round the projectile was seated about a sixteenth of a inch or so too far into the case. I caught that round and discarded it before I had a chance to shoot it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts