Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first AR. I bought this gun in 1980 and paid $330.00 for it. It is a Colt CAR 15 SP1. Basically it is a civilian version of the M-16 I carried in the Air Force. The only way they came back in the day was with a built in carrying handle and pencil Barrel. No brass deflector, no forward assist and no reinforcement around the mag release. I have replaced the barrel with a Model 1 1/9 Chrome Moly barrel and it shoots less than 2 moa with iron sights! This was the first gun I ever bought!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
nice old dragon slayer you have there

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Do you know how much that CAR is worth today? You have a sweet piece. I also long for a mint condition SP-1 Colt AR15 standard rifle. But the carbine version is also super cool. You probably have the special rare, (and expensive) Colt SP-1 AR15 bolt carrier, special small flange firing pin, the notched hammer and the original uncut disconnecter with the special double strength disconnecter spring. Enjoy. HB of CJ (old coot) It will print best with M193 55 grain ammo or lighter. 1X12 twist. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know how much that CAR is worth today? You have a sweet piece. I also long for a mint condition SP-1 Colt AR15 standard rifle. But the carbine version is also super cool. You probably have the special rare, (and expensive) Colt SP-1 AR15 bolt carrier, special small flange firing pin, the notched hammer and the original uncut disconnecter with the special double strength disconnecter spring. Enjoy. HB of CJ (old coot) It will print best with M193 55 grain ammo or lighter. 1X12 twist. Hope this helps.
I never thought it would be worth much, I do know they didn't make a lot of AR's back then. It has just been sitting in the safe for years. Mine is all original except for a new barrel.

How much is it worth??

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Had it still have the OEM barrel, then probably more than $1500 if in mint shape. With the new barrel, (depends totally upon the type) anywhere from $600 to $1000. Impossible to say with out knowing WHAT kind of barrel, mileage, overall condition, wear, tear, dings, ouchies, etc.. Sorry. HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had it still have the OEM barrel, then probably more than $1500 if in mint shape. With the new barrel, (depends totally upon the type) anywhere from $600 to $1000. Impossible to say with out knowing WHAT kind of barrel, mileage, overall condition, wear, tear, dings, ouchies, etc.. Sorry. HB of CJ (old coot)

It is mint and has a new Model 1 CM 1/9 Pencil barrel (about 20-30 rounds through it). Shoots about 2 moa with commercial 55 grain.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Sorry. Missed it. I would say that with the 1X9 twist pencil barrel in the same OEM configuration, that handy little blaster as a great shooter would be worth at least $600 bucks. Maybe as much as $1000 bucks? More? More? And with a full 16' rifled portion, you are also probably good to go for any practical bullet weight.....from 40 grains up to 69 grains. HB of CJ (old coot)

Curious how many rounds through the barrel/bolt before the barrel was changed out? Reason I ask is that after about 1000 rounds or so, both the barrel and the bolt should be changed out together; the bolt and extension lugs lap in and take a liking to each other. Probably not a concern with yours. Henry

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Sorry. Missed it. I would say that with the 1X9 twist pencil barrel in the same OEM configuration, that handy little blaster as a great shooter would be worth at least $600 bucks. Maybe as much as $1000 bucks? More? More? And with a full 16' rifled portion, you are also probably good to go for any practical bullet weight.....from 40 grains up to 69 grains. HB of CJ (old coot)

Curious how many rounds through the barrel/bolt before the barrel was changed out? Reason I ask is that after about 1000 rounds or so, both the barrel and the bolt should be changed out together; the bolt and extension lugs lap in and take a liking to each other. Probably not a concern with yours. Henry

Are you missing a 0 in there? It's a cool rifle but are they really that collectible yet?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The Barrel had about 2000 rounds through it. I changed because it just was not accurate with 69g Match. The bad news is the old Barrel is long gone!

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
2000 rounds is right at the point where the factory bolt and barrel extension take a liking to each other. The wear points of the lugs on both start to lap in. Very little actual wear, but some attraction to each other. A loop will show this.

Very very low probability you might have some head space concerns. Might, (might) be a good idea to have the head space checked. But, M16s with loose head space, (closes on a Field Gage) print fine and the fired brass looks OK to go.

Go figure. May not be a concern. Very unlikely that it might. But...something to consider. If it was me, I would have used a new bolt. You still can. May be overkill for sure. Just me. You could keep that OEM bolt. Might be $collectable$ Yep! HB

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2000 rounds is right at the point where the factory bolt and barrel extension take a liking to each other. The wear points of the lugs on both start to lap in. Very little actual wear, but some attraction to each other. A loop will show this.

Very very low probability you might have some head space concerns. Might, (might) be a good idea to have the head space checked. But, M16s with loose head space, (closes on a Field Gage) print fine and the fired brass looks OK to go.

Go figure. May not be a concern. Very unlikely that it might. But...something to consider. If it was me, I would have used a new bolt. You still can. May be overkill for sure. Just me. You could keep that OEM bolt. Might be $collectable$ Yep! HB
Head space OK. I had it checked after I installed the barrel.:D

·
Premium Member
127,988 Posts
I carried the original CAR-15, with the 10" barrel, in Vietnam.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Very nice!!!! :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts