Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there fellas, just bought a XD(M) 9mm in DO with stainless slide and TRU GLO sights. This thing is a work of art. Anyhow, when a full mag is place in the gun...there is a rattling noise. Like a babys toy. But if I put one in the chamber it stops. Is it to new? Needs to be shot? I don't like to carry lock and loaded. I also can't carry a weapon that rattles fairly loud. If I can hear it, others will know doubt hear it too. So much for concealmeant. Any answers out there???

·
Registered
173 Posts
Normal, mine does it too. This has been brought up before but i dont remember if it goes away with time.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Just about everyone with an xd/m has the same problem with a full mag it is normal and does not go away id just rack one in the pipe and call it good... hate to burst your bubble so to speak .. im sure we all wish the full mags wouldn't rattle a bit, I know I wish mine didnt.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
On my xdm 9 compact it rattles as well when fully loaded. The mag rattles only when its inside the gun. When I pull the mag out and shake it it makes no noise. I'm not positive but you could try 19+1 and see if that rattles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes the mag moves around...it's more like a knock instead of a rattle. Full mag 19 rounds...something is loose inside. I have never own a weapon that has this weird loose sound. Like I said before...18 in mag, the looseness stops. I just can't see how this is normal. My Sig 239, Kahr 9CM, FN Five Seven, they all have full mags in them and not a loose sound in the bunch...only this ONE!! Can anyone tell me why the gun rattles with 19 and not with 18 in the mag?

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's very common for XD and XDm mags to rattle a little when full. 2 of 3 of my 13 round 45 mags are that way, but when holstered IWB the rattle isn't really noticeable so I load'em full. Most of us either load -1 in the mag or live with it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My xd45 rattles. It's about 3 years old as well as the 2 mags. Plus I have one nearly brand new mag that rattles. I also used to have an xd40sc and all 6 of the mags rattled for it too. It's annoying at first but you forget it's there. And trust me NO ONE around you will ever notice it...or at least they won't notice you're cc because of it. Don't stress about it

·
Registered
895 Posts
if you notice a rattle pop ur mag and reinsert, if it still does it eject the mag and tap it around a little to seat the bullets well. i found that when the bullets seat well the rattle is eliminated. i also noticed some bullets tend to do it more than others, for some reason hornady critical defense are harder to shut up than typical hollow points, at least when loaded full in my xdm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I believe u guys...it's the bullets that are rattling the mag. Just weird. It's brand new and I never experienced something like this before. Kool with it.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Mine both do the same thing. The 4.5 and the 3.8 compact. With 19+1 they rattle with 18 no noise. I carried a full mag 19+1 in the chamber and it never made
more noise than my keys or some change. No one will notice it.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Just about everyone with an xd/m has the same problem with a full mag it is normal and does not go away id just rack one in the pipe and call it good... hate to burst your bubble so to speak .. im sure we all wish the full mags wouldn't rattle a bit, I know I wish mine didnt.
How can all of you be making the mags rattle?

I have 2 XDs and 2 XD(m)s, with about 30 total mags, not one of them rattle!

All of the rounds in the mag are under a lot of spring pressure and can not move. The only way they could rattle would be if you load the mags improperly so one of the rounds is jammed and can not move. Then all the rounds above the jammed one will be loose.

Be sure when loading the mags that the rounds go down straight and do not tilt, use the mag loader and push down on the bullet end of the round at the same time.

A properly loaded mag can not rattle!

don

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
How can all of you be making the mags rattle?

I have 2 XDs and 2 XD(m)s, with about 30 total mags, not one of them rattle!

All of the rounds in the mag are under a lot of spring pressure and can not move. The only way they could rattle would be if you load the mags improperly so one of the rounds is jammed and can not move. Then all the rounds above the jammed one will be loose.

Be sure when loading the mags that the rounds go down straight and do not tilt, use the mag loader and push down on the bullet end of the round at the same time.

A properly loaded mag can not rattle!

don
sounds like your one of the lucky ones cause alots of us DO have mags that rattle when full and inserted in the gun. And yes they are loaded properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just emptied the mag and loaded her up again...no bullets loose in the mag, 19 rounds of 115gr winchester. Placed mag back into gun, and like magic the noise is back. Can't understand it. I bring the muzzle up and down and something is rocking back and forth and I think it's metal on metal sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And when I take one bullet out of the mag and put it back into the gun...behold...no sound what so ever from the gun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take a full mag, put some pressure on the top round with your finger and slightly shake the mag back and forth. When a full mag is inserted I think the gun puts just enough pressure like your finger to cause the rattle. Personally I think it's coming from the bullets when pressure is applied. Might be a round or two that's loose falling back to hit the mag causing the sound. When I put 12 rounds into the mag it slightly rattles, but when it's inserted into the gun the noise is gone.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts