Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not trying to start a caliber war or anything but I currently have an XD40 and am debating getting the xd9sc or the xd40sc. This is my first gun so I only have limited experience with other calibers so I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the two subcompacts. Kinda like recoil and returning to target and stuff like that.

I know that with today's technology that the caliber isn't as important as placement so I guess I'm just trying to pick yall's minds! I'm gonna get out and shoot them side by side so I can see but I want to hear your ideas too.

·
Registered
531 Posts
A bullet's a bullet man. Ask yourself, would I rather be shot by a .40 or 9mm. Your probably answer with "why am I even asking this question? I dun wanna be shot at all!".
Whatever is most comfortable for you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well the .40 in the sub compact will have a snappy recoil due to the short barrel configuration. This might be a issue with follow-up shots. The 9mm in the sub compact would be the choice for me if I were looking at the sub compact line of the XD.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Shot placement would be worth more than the difference in size. I think I'd go with the 9mm due to less recoil for better follow up shots and cheaper ammunition which means more practice which should equal better shot placement.

Well the .40 in the sub compact will have a snappy recoil due to the short barrel configuration. This might be a issue with follow-up shots. The 9mm in the sub compact would be the choice for me if I were looking at the sub compact line of the XD.
Agreed.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I just started shooting last Dec. with a .22 semi-auto. Rented a .40 a couple months later at the range and bought a stainless full-size S&W .40 shortly after. Frankly it was more than I was comfortable with, plus of course the ammo was a few bucks more per 50 rounds. Traded it in on my XD-9 and haven't regretted it.

For a fairly new shooter, I'd recommend the 9mm. You can always trade up to a larger caliber later - or buy your 2nd gun in .40 and keep the 9mm. Trust me when I say you're going to want to buy more of these. Addiction isn't always a bad thing! :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went with the 40. The recoil is maybe 5% more than my 4" XD 40. Highly manageable.
yeah I didn't think it was much more than my 4" xd40 as well, but I haven't shot a 9mm in anything in a long time. And of course as stated I know that placement is more important than anything. I just don't know ...yet... what the difference in shooting a 9 compared to a 40.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Not to encourage a caliber war here, but they are making some great carry/personal protection ammo in 9mm now. If you get a 9mm buy the cheap stuff for practicing at the range and the good stuff for if/when you carry and/or if you keep it loaded at home for protection.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not to encourage a caliber war here, but they are making some great carry/personal protection ammo in 9mm now. If you get a 9mm buy the cheap stuff for practicing at the range and the good stuff for if/when you carry and/or if you keep it loaded at home for protection.
Yeah, I've heard that with the way ammo is now it's not much of a difference in the larger calibers. I know I'd like a .45 1911, but I can't afford that, so I'm lookin at either another XD in subcompact or maybe even a M&P compact but I'm not really sure what I'm gonna get for my next CC weapon.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yeah, I've heard that with the way ammo is now it's not much of a difference in the larger calibers. I know I'd like a .45 1911, but I can't afford that, so I'm lookin at either another XD in subcompact or maybe even a M&P compact but I'm not really sure what I'm gonna get for my next CC weapon.
I've got an m&p compact in 9mm and very seriously looked at xd subcompacts too. If size is gonna make a difference, than you should know that there is a reason the xd is a SUBcompact and the m&p is simply a compact. The xd sc is noticibly smaller the the m&p, not in a huge way, but enough to make a difference.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'll chime in for 9mm. I've carried 9mm, .357 Mag, .45 ACP, and 9x18Mak, and agree completely with the previous post regarding shot placement. I still carry a single-stack 9x18Mak occasionally when I want something in between the summer-weight .357 J-frame and 9mm XDSC. All three are reliable, reasonably accurate, and I'm confident any of them will get the job done if needed. I'm not a big wheelgun fan but a scandium 5-shot M&P340 is better than nothing on a hot, humid summer day when even the uber-reliable little 9-shot Makarov feels like a brick.

Anyhow - a couple of years ago I 'downgraded' from .45ACP to 9mm as main concealed carry after deciding some things:
1. The effectiveness of the round has matured quite a bit over the years.
2. I can get follow-up shots downrange accurately much quicker with the 9.
3. I can practice much cheaper thus more often with 9mm vs .45ACP (or .40 S&W)
4. The obvious factor of more rounds in the same size package, thus being able to carry a smaller gun.

IMHO shoot whatever caliber you are comfortable/competent with and can afford frequent practice.

·
Registered
815 Posts
i had a xd40 svc and i traded it in for a xd9sc and am very happy with it. i love being able to stock pile on ammo a lot easier due to cheaper prices and im still very confident in the stopping power of the 9mm with a good SD hollow point. i carry gold dot 124 gr +p GDHP. im more willing to bet my life on that bullet and the gun!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here is another vote for 9mm.

I was in a similar situation a while back and went with 9mm for all of the reasons listed in this thread: Cheaper to shoot means more practice, less recoil means faster re-acquisition, more firepower / capacity, and the ballistics between high pressure 9mm JHP's and .40 are very similar.

I'm currently carrying a 9mm Service with Federal 124g +P HST's.

Of course, I'm heading for a gun show this weekend to look for a smaller carry gun and who knows, I might walk out with a .45 :)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Modern 9mm HPs are putting up some really nice ballistics characteristics now. .40's notoriously snappy recoil could be a problem in a smaller gun, but there are enough aftermarket products (guide rods etc) that you could tame it somewhat.

For me the decision is on capacity. The 9mm has a higher capacity (3 more if you modify the .40sc magazines for 9mm). There's no telling what situation you'll find yourself in, so if it's the same sized gun in comparable calibers I go with what has the higher cap.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It

Doesn't

Matter...

Really, you can argue ballistics all you like. Pick whichever meets your fancy, and don't get too worked up about your decision. It's all good.
I understand that. That's even what I said in my original post. I'm asking what's it feel like to shoot the two different subcompacts.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts