Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i can't seem to decide between the XDM 3.8 compact or the Mod.2 4" Service model. I have shot both and feel that the Xdm is a bit more accurate. Not sure it's the match grade barrel, or the feeling of less recoil but i was grouping better.I'm sure with more practice I would get better with either gun. Truly the only thing that i dislike of the Xdm is the rough handle, wish it had the mod.2 grip zone. I noticed that only after 50 rounds the back strap was irritating the palm of my hand (Maybe this is something I will get used to with time?). I'm a newbie and this will be my first pistol, hopefully someone can shine some light and help make my decision easier. I want a pistol for home defense and at the same time a pistol that is fun for the range. I also wonder if the talon grips help significantly with the roughness of the handle.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Yes, your hands will toughen-up - or, alternatively, you can pursue different grip-texture adhesive tape or even more aggressively "melt" the polymer-plastic grip body to achieve the texture of your desires (there are many individuals/shops who specialize in such re-texturing).

Given how new you are to shooting handguns, any difference you may see or feel (subjective) is likely due to variances in your techniques.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The XDM 3.8 is a very versatile gun. I like the optional large cap. It is also reliable and accurate. Not saying the other isn't just that I can outshoot my 1911 Colt with a 3.8.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, your hands will toughen-up - or, alternatively, you can pursue different grip-texture adhesive tape or even more aggressively "melt" the polymer-plastic grip body to achieve the texture of your desires (there are many individuals/shops who specialize in such re-texturing).

Given how new you are to shooting handguns, any difference you may see or feel (subjective) is likely due to variances in your techniques.
You make a valid point there, I'm new to shooting so I guess I just got a pick one and learn from it. I assume you own an xdm? If so, have you made any alterations to your grip.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On another note, does anyone know if the xdm compact has less recoil than the mod.2 service model do to its double spring recoil system???

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
I assume you own an xdm?
Currently nearing 48K rounds, this picture was taken when the gun was around 30,000 rounds:

Here's my running thread on this 4.5-inch XDm9 -
"New" XDm9 from Cleveland - POA/POI & magazine questions

Here's the running thread on my two XDm9 3.8 Compacts -
~1300 rounds in, XDm9 3.8 Compact - lessons learned from today

^ Page 4 shows a picture of both my EDC 3.8 Compact as well as its training counterpart (the bi-tone model). Both now wear the Surefire XC1 light and are in KT-Mech light-bearing holsters (My New KT Mech holster), IWB.

If so, have you made any alterations to your grip.
No, I haven't.

That's a very good question.

When I started on this path 5 and 1/2 years ago, it was just before the 3.8 Compact came out. As a result, I tested the XD-SC, also in 9mm, quite a bit before making the decision to stick with the "M" variant. One reason was because if I purchased the standard XD-variant, I would need to pursue some kind of grip texture modifications as I did not feel it to be aggressive enough.

For me, the XDm's texturing is just right.

However, this is highly subjective - it's just how *_I_* feel about this. :)

On another note, does anyone know if the xdm compact has less recoil than the mod.2 service model do to its double spring recoil system???
Perceived recoil - "recoil feel" - is just that: how any one person "feels" about that recoil impulse.

As such, it's highly subjective.

I'd encourage you to find a local range/store that has both firearms available for rental, and giving it a try, live-fire, first-hand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I noticed that only after 50 rounds the back strap was irritating the palm of my hand (Maybe this is something I will get used to with time?). I'm a newbie and this will be my first pistol, hopefully someone can shine some light and help make my decision easier. I want a pistol for home defense and at the same time a pistol that is fun for the range. I also wonder if the talon grips help significantly with the roughness of the handle.
Like others have said, your hand will get tougher and used to it. My first pistol was a 1.8" barrel .357 magnum. Talk about making your hand tough quick. I love it though and still own it (left gun in my profile pic) so when I got my 3" mod. 2 9mm a couple days ago it felt like a dream at the range.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I noticed that only after 50 rounds the back strap was irritating the palm of my hand (Maybe this is something I will get used to with time?). I'm a newbie and this will be my first pistol, hopefully someone can shine some light and help make my decision easier. I want a pistol for home defense and at the same time a pistol that is fun for the range. I also wonder if the talon grips help significantly with the roughness of the handle.
Like others have said, your hand will get tougher and used to it. My first pistol was a 1.8" barrel .357 magnum. Talk about making your hand tough quick. I love it though and still own it (left gun in my profile pic) so when I got my 3" mod. 2 9mm a couple days ago it felt like a dream at the range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys thanks for the great advice! I did a 180 and ended purchasing an HK VP9 after shooting it at the range. I still believe the XD line is awesome, will probably look into a Mod.2 or XDS in the future as an EDC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts