Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i can't seem to decide between the XDM 3.8 compact or the Mod.2 4" Service model. I have shot both and feel that the Xdm is a bit more accurate. Not sure it's the match grade barrel, or the feeling of less recoil but i was grouping better. Truly the only thing that i dislike of the Xdm is the rough handle, wish it had the mod.2 grip zone. I noticed that only after 50 rounds the back strap was irritating the palm of my hand (Maybe this is something I will get used to with time?). I'm a newbie and this will be my first pistol, hopefully someone can shine some light and help make my decision easier. I want a pistol for home defense and at the same time a pistol that is fun for the range. I also wonder if the talon grips help significantly with the roughness of the handle.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I do prefer the XDM line. The XD and Mod.2 are fine too, but I like the bigger number of rounds mags in the XDM. Also I feel, IMHO, that the best grip is in the XDM, especially with the smaller back strap. The new Mod.2 models don't feel better for me. About your hand feeling a little irritation of your hand, it's a matter of time before you get "acclimatize" to the grip.

Remember this is my experience and therefore is one more , subjective, opinion.

Best of lucks!

·
Registered
410 Posts
The talon grips do make a difference for most people. If you go with the xdm you can also carry that as well as home defense. Yes some could carry the mod 2. I have both and yhe xdm wins hands down. Like the above posts says it is all up to you. If you can set up some kind of battle between the 2 for 100rds at the range that is what i would do

Reactions: Jonie45

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had the same dilemma... years later I have both :)
Despite the whole Grip Zone like/dislike, I'd say that the Mod.2 feels more "natural" in my hand.
Either way I don't believe you'll be disappointed. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will never run a handgun without a talon rubber grip. Arizona heat and concealed carry give you monkey butt. With the right holster and especially a Talon rubber grip all those issues are gone.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
I have an XDMc and really love it. Am biased since I loved my XDM .40 4.5": so much!! :) But, with that being said, I have fondled the Mod 2, and while it was ok, it didn't get me too excited. Never shot it. If I had to do over, I think the price would be the major factor, as well as which one I shot better.

For me, the aggressive grip texture on the XDM has never been an issue. Even after high-round count classes, I never felt my hands being irritated at all, and never felt a need for a grip sleeve or other mods. With that being said, after applying Talon grips to my Kahrs, if your hands are irritated by the XDM grips, I would highly suggest those.

So, with that all being said, I think they are both good guns. If budget is a factor and you shoot them both reasonably well, the Mod 2 is a good choice. For me, the XDM features of higher mag capacity, adjustable back-strap and different shaped slide was a winning factor over the XDsc, and would be over the Mod2 as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Same here for my XDMc 9mm. I've done 200+ rnds in an hour and my hands feel fine. Very comfortable. But that said, recently got a Walther PPS-m2 and due to the small grip decided to get Talon grips- and love them so much I got some for the XDM.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I own both and prefer the mod 2 for EDC largely because of weight and size factors. I have experienced the rub from the XDM's grips and have been considering trying the grip tape that I used to put on my tennis racquet handle to tame it down. I'd like to hear if anyone else has tried this and if it has worked.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the XDmc in 9 and. 40 and absolutely love them. My fave shooters by far. I do carry my xds more frequently due to dress un soflo but I'd take my xdms over my glocks any day.
As others said, talon grips ftw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts