Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get some recipies for reloading 9mm for the XD9 Tactical. I reload them now for my Para but have an ejecting problem with that load in the XD. WWB 147 or 124 work fine but would like to load a lighter round for my girlfriend. I would prefer to use Tightgroup and will be using 124 gr round nose copper jacketed bullets. Will need to make minor power factor.

I will look at any recipe with any powder except that Finnish stuff that you can't spell and that I can't afford. 8)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I load 147 zero fmjs @ 3.3gr of tightgroup, 1.135", you won't get any lighter rounds than 147s. That makes about 138PF from a 5" XD9, so 3.1 should make you borderline 127-128 or so using 147s.

124s @ 1000+ fps is still going to feel about like a 115 wwb.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use that "other" powder as well, but the 147 load Amp has is close to mine and its like a mouse fart (and it don't stink). In case anyone else is curious its 3.0 of VV 310 with a 147 bullet.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I thought many times of using Vhitavuori powder since it doesn't leave nearly the amount of soot that Tightgroup does, but when you're talking sometimes almost $10 more per pound of powder, I say heck with it.

If it came to a problem of where 200 or 300 rounds the dirtier powder would start to cause malfunctions then I'd look for an alternative. I've ran close to 1000 rounds between any type of maintence without any issues.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What wt recoil spring you guys using with the wimp (minor) loads?? I just got back from a USPSA match and the stock (18 lb) spring wouldn't eject all the cases out. I switched out to a 12 lb'er and it worked better, but it wouldn't go into battery all the way at times. I have a 16 lb'er on the way as we speak. Thanks

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
In round numbers, you'll load 2300 rounds of 147 gn 9mm ammo using 3.0 gn. of VV powder. If it cost $10.00 more per pound, that's less than 1/2 cent more per round to use the Viht powder. If it provides some benefit, such as less perceived recoil, less flash, less residue, whatever, is 1/2 round worth worrying about? You're spending a lot more than 1/2 cent per round to use 147 gn bullets as opposed to 115/124. What I'm saying is, the cost differential to use the higher quality powder is minimal, depending on the benefits.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Personally I am just cheap & I can buy 2 pounds of Titegroup for the cost of 1 pound of VV since VV is not sold in any local store. I also shoot lead bullets for the same reason. 10,000+ a year adds up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts