Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know I'm hammering this issue, but I have gotten different responses, and the only specfic responses I've gotten have not been encouraging.

Personally, I will not own a firearm that will not function reliably with quality ammo that is within spec. So, is it true that I may not be able to use Win. white box 9mm in my XD and have it function 100%? Maybe I have a different definition of quality ammo, but I've used WWB for many years in other guns with no problems.

·
Registered
99 Posts
every gun is different, there are a few factors that determine what your pistol will like.
1. slide weight
2. recoil spring weight
3. amount of friction between moving parts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I shoot 9mm in various pistols and carbine type rifles. I have never had to say, this brand of ammo or that brand of ammo is not right for my gun.

In .22 rimfire is another story altogether, I will never use Winchester Wildcat, Remington ThunderBolt, CCI Blazer or PMC Zapper.

·
Registered
813 Posts
9mm lover said:
Ok, I know I'm hammering this issue, but I have gotten different responses, and the only specfic responses I've gotten have not been encouraging.

Personally, I will not own a firearm that will not function reliably with quality ammo that is within spec. So, is it true that I may not be able to use Win. white box 9mm in my XD and have it function 100%? Maybe I have a different definition of quality ammo, but I've used WWB for many years in other guns with no problems.
I have no problems whatsoever with WWB in my SC9. Matter of fact, my XDs are 2 of only a few of the many guns I have owned that have not had problems with ANY ammo I have fed them. A Daewoo DH40 and my CZ40 are the other 2. All the others have had problems with one brand or another, which is common for handguns.

·
Registered
285 Posts
115 gr WWB FMJ has worked flawlessly in my XD-9 Service. But then again, so has everything else I've put in it. I think this thing would fire a tire iron if I could get it in the mag. :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use WWB 9mm in my SC and my Service with the EFK conversion and haven't had any problems since I tweaked the 40 mags. NO FTE/FTF after well over 1000 rounds in the conversion and over 400 in the new SC.

When my XD40 was new I had afew FTF/FTE with UMC (40SW) but after about 500 rounds it worked it's way through all of it without problems

Rikoshey :twisted:

·
Registered
71 Posts
115 Grain FMJ WWB has been very reliable and accurate in both my servce and tactical xd-9s, as well as my sig 226 sport stock and beretta 92FS. At $10.96 per 100 from walmart in this area, it's my favorite ammo for all nines - I've shot thousands of rounds of WWB and my only complaint is that there is no Academy Sports Store near here where I can get it even cheaper!

·
Registered
176 Posts
"I will not own a firearm that will not function reliably with quality ammo that is within spec."

Whether for shooting a local or Major Match PLUSall new CCW ammo gets run thru a case gauge.

Point is any "Quality Ammo" is seldom without some defects however small the % may be.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nothing wrong with WWB. I shoot it all the time with my XD 40 Tac.

And iterestingly, I have Kimber 9mm that is a little picky as far as accuracy and ammo. WWB is one of the brands that shoots most accurate out of it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
C.H.Luke said:
"I will not own a firearm that will not function reliably with quality ammo that is within spec."

Whether for shooting a local or Major Match PLUSall new CCW ammo gets run thru a case gauge.

Point is any "Quality Ammo" is seldom without some defects however small the % may be.
Good idea for CCW ammo. I don't shoot in competition, so that is not a factor.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
besides one hard primer with WWB recently (maybe, or something is broke int eh striker assembly), I am error free in 1500+ rounds of WWB

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have over 3000 rds. of WWB through my XD9 and the only time I ahd a problem was when I didn't clean around the extractor well. My problem not, the ammo's.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
WWB shoots reliably in my CZ-75B, but in my XD I have had up to 65% FTE rate with it. Had extractor replaced by SA customer service and FTE went away fo about 500 t0 800 rounds, came back with 20+% FTE. Was going to sell off gun but my local gunsmith talked me into letting him play with it. Got it back on Dec 28th, put 800 round of WWB through it now and works great. My gunsmith increased positive camber on the extractor hook and tuned the extractor tension for free. WWB is reliable, I prefer Wolf but cannot shoot it at my range anymore, rules/policy change.

BTW, before anyone commentsabout Wolf causing the problem, I have not shoot wolf other then a single box to test function when I first got the gun, and then it was the last box I shot (out of about 500 rounds total) before sending it to SA for service due to FTE problems. The gun has had nothing but brass through it since it returned from SA repairs. I believe that the extractor on the XD is the weak link in the XD system, not the ammo in the case of FTE problems.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have fired 1,000 rounds thru my XD-9 and the local ranges XD-9 and have had three FTE between the two pistols. The range XD is a pig. I don't think it has ever been cleaned. Each time I rent it, I oil it. It works great.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm new to the site, and I'm not sure what the debate is about.
Is it that WWB is allegedly not a quality round?...
Or is it that the XD allegedly doesn't perform well with WWB?

WWB is about all I shoot at the range. I'll pick up a box or three of the $11.00 / 100rnd value packs on my way there. I've never had a problem with them.

What's all the hub-bub?

·
Registered
181 Posts
With the exception of defensive carry ammo WWB is ALL i have ever used. .380, 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP never a problem. I have used it in my Ruger P94, Walther PPK, Sig 239, Kahr K40, MK9, Glock 17 and 36, XD40, XD9 and my 1911. That is a wide enough variety to tell me there is NOTHING wrong with WWB. Anybody that has a problem shooting WWB has a picky gun and unfortunately every manufacturer turns one of those out from time to time. I thank the gun gods none of my guns have fallen into this category.

Another thing to consider is how many people reporting problems with WWB are shooting stock guns? All of my guns are stock (with the exception of night sights and grips) and I have as yet come across a legitimate reason to modify them. There are a number of people who buy a new gun, read a forum like this one and start replacing parts (recoil springs, trigger groups, etc) and have no idea why except that everyone else on the board did. Don't get me wrong I'm not against customizing a pistol as long as you know what you're doing and why. Too many change their guns before they even make the first trip to the range.

If you want a XD and you want to use WWB go for it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
XD_Dan said:
I'm new to the site, and I'm not sure what the debate is about.
Is it that WWB is allegedly not a quality round?...
Or is it that the XD allegedly doesn't perform well with WWB?

WWB is about all I shoot at the range. I'll pick up a box or three of the $11.00 / 100rnd value packs on my way there. I've never had a problem with them.

What's all the hub-bub?
Until I got my XD it was my ammo of choice, too. The hub-bub is that in other threads it was mentioned thay FTEs may be attributable to WWB, not to the XD. My thinking is that if a gun can't operate reliably with ammo that is in spec, it is the fault of the gun, not the ammo. I'm on my second XD and have had FTEs with both. Not many, and am still in the break in period, but others who may or may not know what they are talking about have said that break in won't likely cure FTEs. Personally, if this one doesn't become reliable with WWB I'll sell this one and not buy another. Ever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts