Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont want to start a fight with this thread but I figured I would just ask.

Sometime late this year I will be getting a 1911, yay!

One of the many things I need to sort out are caliber. I know .45 is the traditional caliber of choice for a 1911, and honestly its a hoot to shoot. Currently, my family has all 9mm pistols so it would make sense for money sake to keep the trend and not have to worry about a different caliber. But, there is something awesome about something that makes big holes in paper...

Are there performance differences in 9mm 1911's vs .45 1911's?

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
All my 1911s have been 9mms.
I don't care what others think about it.
Ammo is cheaper and I shoot 9mm better than I shoot 45.

My EDC is a SA EMP in 9mm.

If you won't carry an XDm chambered, you're sure not going to carry a 1911 cocked and locked..;)

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Not sure there are any absolutes regarding 9mm vs .45 1911s. Two completely different rounds so the recoil pulse is different. If by "performance" you mean accuracy then there is no real difference. The 9mm round obviously has more velocity but that is not significant at pistol ranges. My 9s and all my 45s are capable of shooting better then the 3-4" @15 yards that I can do. The biggest issue is that not everyone can make a reliable 9mm 1911 especially if you go to shorter guns. Are you looking for a full size gun, compact, steel, aluminum, etc? Some guns, like the SA emp, were designed from the ground up to be a 9mm compact so the new Emps are very reliable.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

If you won't carry an XDm chambered, you're sure not going to carry a 1911 cocked and locked..;)
:p

i wouldnt carry the 1911 unless my xdm was out of commission, it would be a bedside, range, and fun gun.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
:p

i wouldnt carry the 1911 unless my xdm was out of commission, it would be a bedside, range, and fun gun.
I don't know my TCU loving friend..:confused:

If you buy that 1911, you might be selling that XDm..:shock:;)

There is nothing like the crisp break of a good 1911 trigger..:cool:

I rented several 1911s (in both 9mm and 45) before buying my first one, a 9mm Kimber CDP Ultra.

Customized and carried it for a year until buying the EMP.

Customized the EMP and love it..

I've also bought and sold a a 9mm RIA Tactical.

And a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm..

If you feel more comfortable with 9mm, by all means go for it.
You can always get a 45 next time..

You can't beat the RIA tactical for a first 1911 either in 9mm or 45ACP.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha yeah thats what ive heard, once you get one its all you'll ever want. ill never sell my xdm though, its my first pistol and that makes it priceless to me :p

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I bought the RIA 9mm from 1lowlife to go with my STI Spartan 9mm. Now have sold it and bought a STI Spartan 45. Absolutely love both versions of the 1911. With a little tuning of the guns they run almost alike; of course, the .45 has a little heavier recoil but still pretty mild. Really hard to advise someone on what gun to get. My thoughts are get both. At $628 each it was an easy decision for me.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I have 1911's in both 9mm and 45ACP, as well as 38 Super. The 9mm's just have a little less recoil. :cool:

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
psst...

John Browning actually designed another single action auto FOR the 9mm round. It is accurate, well made and very reliable and MADE for the 9mm and works well with the caliber.

It is called the Hi-Power....check it out.

You might decide, like I did a decade ago, that this is the best single action auto for launching the 9x19 round.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
921 Posts
psst...

John Browning actually designed another single action auto FOR the 9mm round. It is accurate, well made and very reliable and MADE for the 9mm and works well with the caliber.

You might decide, like I did a decade ago, that this is the best single action auto for launching the 9x19 round.

- brickboy240

I would agree with you...but that mag disconnect is a deal breaker (for me anyway)

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
The mag disconnect comes right out of the Hi-Power...pretty easily I might add.

Ask the smiths at Cylinder & Slide, they make some sweet custom Hi-Powers and always take the mag safety out.

Not a deal-breaker at all.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't know my TCU loving friend..:confused:

If you buy that 1911, you might be selling that XDm..:shock:;)

There is nothing like the crisp break of a good 1911 trigger..:cool:

I rented several 1911s (in both 9mm and 45) before buying my first one, a 9mm Kimber CDP Ultra.

Customized and carried it for a year until buying the EMP.

Customized the EMP and love it..

I've also bought and sold a a 9mm RIA Tactical.

And a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm..

If you feel more comfortable with 9mm, by all means go for it.
You can always get a 45 next time..

You can't beat the RIA tactical for a first 1911 either in 9mm or 45ACP.
I like the grips on your EMP, and I hate the factory wood grips on my EMP.
Can you tell who makes your grips and the model name, and also, are they thin ?
Thank you

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Not sure there are any absolutes regarding 9mm vs .45 1911s. Two completely different rounds so the recoil pulse is different. If by "performance" you mean accuracy then there is no real difference. The 9mm round obviously has more velocity but that is not significant at pistol ranges. My 9s and all my 45s are capable of shooting better then the 3-4" @15 yards that I can do. The biggest issue is that not everyone can make a reliable 9mm 1911 especially if you go to shorter guns. Are you looking for a full size gun, compact, steel, aluminum, etc? Some guns, like the SA emp, were designed from the ground up to be a 9mm compact so the new Emps are very reliable.
The EMP was actually designed for 45 gap rd. With its lackluster popularity springfieldbwent with the 9 and 40 in the end, essentially the same set up as 45 gap.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts

I used to have the DXsc9mm, and did not carry, because cocked make my nervous.
But I carry my EMP 9mm, is more safe than the XD because the manual safety besides the grip safety

·
Registered
178 Posts
The EMP was actually designed for 45 gap rd. With its lackluster popularity springfieldbwent with the 9 and 40 in the end, essentially the same set up as 45 gap.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Springfield designed the EMP from the ground up, that's the reason I got one, because is the only one in 9mm that is not redesigned to fit the 9mm or the 40

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
psst...

- brickboy240
The mag disconnect comes right out of the Hi-Power...pretty easily I might add. ... Not a deal-breaker at all.

- brickboy240
+1 on all that Brickboy wrote. After John Browning designed the 1911 with 45, he designed the HP for 9mm. The two have their places in history. 9mm is to 1911 what 40 is to HP, both are done these days, but just not the way they were meant to be IMHO ;) My early days with Canadian Inglis versions of HPs are what formed my interest in John Browning and the history/awesomeness of 1911s. They are so alike, same grip angle, very similar handling. Just remove that silly disconnect. I still love my HP, even though my SR1911 has been getting more range time since 3 May :cool: Heck, I have less in both of them than some people spend on a fancy smancy 9mm 1911.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts