Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found out that a 9mm Shotshell is made. Which is like a shotgun shell but made for different cal. Handguns. Any good??? What are your thoughts??

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's not really good for much of anything...

Not true, if you just had a party with a lot of balloons....What do you think is the best way to get rid of that crap?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have used 357 shot shells...I carry while scouting and hunting. I put 3 in the cylinder for snakes, the other 3 for mad hogs. I have shot rats at the dump and snakes (posionous; rattler, copper head, water mocision (sp). I would like to see how the 9mm chambers. Are these also made by CCI? I think they are useful for these applications, but not for defense of life...for this you need a killing round.

·
Registered
33 Posts
"Probably won't cycle...." Does anyone know for sure? Why would a company produce something that is an utter failure and then put it on the open market for semi-autos? Esp. in today sue happy enviroment! I like them for revolvers and if I find them for my 9 or 40 I would buy a box.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
"Probably won't cycle...." Does anyone know for sure? Why would a company produce something that is an utter failure and then put it on the open market for semi-autos? Esp. in today sue happy enviroment! I like them for revolvers and if I find them for my 9 or 40 I would buy a box.
They have been out for decades. I have never seen any auto that would reliably cycle them. They are still made, because people still buy them. If your primary concern is snakes, it does make sense to carry a pistol with one chambered followed by a mag of traditional ammo. If you are just shooting rats, You have an effective single shot. Why would anyone sue? It is not a defense round and has never been marketed as such.

ranburr

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have the 9mm CCI's and they do not cycle. I patterned them at 20-25 feet and they were pretty much worthless. The shot is way too small and spreads out too rapidly for anything over 15' away. I had looked into getting some of the capsules and reloading some with a larger shot, but came up empty and kinda forgot about it. For self defense, these would be a very bad idea. It isn't what they are meant for. For creepy crawlies in the brush at your feet, they are perfect.

·
Registered
815 Posts
maybe i just got lucky! i used them out of my XD40 serveral times and all cycled flawlessly. only reason to use them imo is for snakes and rodents which i have found they work perfectlly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think I read in the XD manual that Springfield recommends not to use them...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
FWIW, I used them in a Sigma. I'd say the slide came back maybe 3/4 of the way? Not quite enough to eject the shell.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've already bought them and out of pure curiosity I want to try them out. Anyone had any barrel damage using them? Or other damage?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Might as well throw rocks. Yes they will fuction in a semi-auto, but are worthless. Unless you are snake hunting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts