1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hornady 124gr. jhp/tp , winchester brass, cci 500 primers

1121 ft/s muzzle, 330-340 ft/lbs muzzle energy

7.1 grains Blue dot powder.

With this load i am still way way under pressure. According to speer #13 the max of blue dot is 7.9 (wich is still underpressure) that is damn impressive. Im gettting higher velocites than faster burning powders at way lower pressures.

The recoil was nothing and they fed perfectly through my xd-9, not to mention very accurate

I shot these rounds hot into a stack of magazines. They penetrated 2- 4 and opened up great. The bullet was a was spread out into a mangled piece of shrapnel. Definatly an awsome defense round

·
Premium Member
21,395 Posts
sounds like yu got a winnerthere , any info on a load with blue dot and a 115gr jacket bullet??

·
Premium Member
21,395 Posts
hey i found the bluedot loading info in the alliant book, 8.0 gr forthe 115 FMJ i tried some today and they worked well in my tactical , but i did notice a lot of report out of the loads ???? but yes they are a soft shooter for sure

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shanner, you said you used an alliant book. I would get a speer manual if i was you because ive noticed that the recomended amount of powder to use that comes in die sets and powder company info is usally the max pressure so you dont go over that. so i would look at the minimum in a reloading manual and go with that. Because blue dot is a slower burning powder, im guessing in a shorter barrel like your compact some powder still might be burning if you use alot. i would use the minimum to limit flash, but yes nice shooters arent they, and very high velocities for hardly any pressure. I used the minimum of 7.1 grains in my 4 inch barrel and i didnt notice any unusual muzzle flash. I think blue dot is an awsome powder often overlooked. You can get higher velocities out of it and still be under pressure. With most faster burning powders you have to load to the max or go over to get blue dot velocities.

·
Premium Member
21,395 Posts
i may haveto get a manual ,just havent seen them for sale anywhere around me , i used 8gr from the reloaders guide no flash or unburned powder in my gun , brass was good an clean too when i picked them up so i suppose ill try droppin down say to 7.5? ill tell ya the case was almost full with 8 grs in the 9mm case

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shaner, I will get my speer book and post some numbers on here for you.
I beleive the min is 7.5 but im not sure so i will check and calculate some velocitys and muzzle energy.

·
Premium Member
21,395 Posts
thanks , sounds good

1 - 9 of 9 Posts