Springfield XD Forum banner

9MM potency ?

4K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  DMWyatt 
#1 ·
can someone please explain to me why America's are the only people in the world that debate the 9mm as a capable round to stop a threat.It is the most widely used in the world weather in police forces or military.I think maybe we should just learn to shoot better.

#7 ·
America has a history of larger caliber handguns being used at all levels.

Most of Europe doesn't have this history of larger caliber handgun ownership or use.

The OP is falling into the liberal mindset of all cultures or thoughts are equal.

#11 ·
Liberals want diversity, well here it is:

22lr
9mm
38spl
357 mag
41 mag
40 s&w
10mm
46acp
38 super
44spl
44 mag
45lc

Just to name a few.

Ain't diversity great?
Add .45acp to that list. :)

Liberals want diversity and tolerance, yet they have no tolerance of anyone elses views other than their own and when it comes to guns and calibers, they are neither for diversity or tolerance.

Sorry I got all political, but 'tis true.

Must of the world isn't afforded the luxury to choose different calibers. Yes, 9mm works, but it isn't the "end-all, be-all" of handgun calibers.

#14 ·
I'd say it's because of Miami Vice.

Just a thought, but I wonder if it's because our country was founded by the gun that we're constantly experimenting and wanting to develop something bigger. Honestly, why on earth would someone want a S&W 500.

I'm just thinking out loud, but whether it be initial colonization or the drive west, guns eliminated obstacles for us. That and having a free government (at the time) that learned from the oppression in Europe that the citizen should be armed allowed us to toy with caliber. The countries in Europe at least up to the founding of the US were founded by the sword.

Just a complete guess, though. The government didn't regulate what we had for a very long time either, whereas many other governments do. I want to say Argentina limits the citizens caliber to .380 ACP and in the UK, citizens aren't allowed to have a handgun (I think) or they require some sort of special permit like Chicago (or wherever).

#15 ·
Until the Brits went crazy, they were a big exception to this rule.
The Brits had larger calibers but they were always underpowered.

#17 ·
I think it's the bigger is better mentality. Those that like a bigger round have to be willing to accept less capacity and being able to physically carry less ammo. So there are both sides to the coin.

Me? I have an XD45 and an XDM9 and am a happy man!

#19 ·
I think it's the bigger is better mentality. Those that like a bigger round have to be willing to accept less capacity and being able to physically carry less ammo. So there are both sides to the coin.

Me? I have an XD45 and an XDM9 and am a happy man!
And the PLR-16 is American made ;)

#20 ·
I'm carrying a 9mm keltec pf9 as I type. :)

#21 ·
I personally favor the 9mm due to the cost of ammo and capacity (19+1 round ftw). My idea is that a 9mm to the head is just as deadly as a .45 ACP making a similarly placed hole. But this is the land of the free and we get choices and those choices include bigger and badder cartridges. I don't know why we need it but we do and will more than likely continue making bigger and badder guns.

The point is we have that choice, so we get to debate endlessly about things like 9mm vs. .45 ACP. Is it better to have smaller bullets but lots of them or bigger bullets but less? You have to admit it is a nice problem to have.

#23 ·
#24 ·
You have to look at history to see WHY America ended up with the 45 over the 9mm and why it became more popular.

First, when the Army was in the phase of transitioning away from it's 45 Colt revolvers, they looked long and hard at the 9mm and the Luger. During the Army's trials, the Luger had troubles with being too dirt-sensitive and this alone pretty much killed it's chances...NOT the caliber. It also did not have a grip safety (something the Army wanted at the time) and John Browning modified his original 1905 45 automatic to have one for the trials. Browning's 45 auto was also accurate and very reliable.

Another reason why America wound up with the 45 over the 9mm....cavalry!

Everyone LOVES to say that we got the 45 because the Colt 38 revolvers performed poorly in the Philippines, but that is complete BS. Seriously...that story is really not true!

At the time of the transition to an automatic sidearm...cavalry pretty much ruled the roost in America's armed forces. What cavalry wanted...they pretty much got. They are the reason we had short barreled Spencers and Trapdoors with lanyard rings and why the lever action with a saddle ring got it's popularity. Cavalry liked those features in a long gun - so they got it.

Cavalry units knew (from experience) that the 38 caliber Colt revolvers were VERY ineffective at stopping a horse. You see, if you stopped the horse, you stopped the charge. Again, this was VERY important at time our Army was choosing a new auto pistol.

The 45 Colt cartridge out of the 7.5 inch Colt Single Action Army was pretty effective at stopping a horse at close ranges. Therefore, the cavalry units really wanted a larger caliber (45) and this was taken into consideration during the trials.

The fact that the 45fmj bullet stopped people better than the 9mm was just a bonus....NOT the real reason we got the 45.

Moving forward from the year 1911 (when the 45/1911 was adopted into service) our Army found out that the M1911 and the 45 round were reliable, accurate and very effective. So effective, that the 1911 and the 45 round stayed in service use until 1985.

From the years 1911 to 1985, many men used the 45 caliber pistols in war and active duty service and grew to like the pistol and caliber. It did what was needed and was effective. During this time, the civilian public also noticed how well the 45 and 1911 performed and it gained popularity with casual shooters and police units.

So THAT is why we have the 45 today, instead of the 9mm. It is also why it is so popular....NOT because we cannot shoot accurately! Please!

As time went on and ammunition advanced, the 9mm benefited greatly from new bullet designs and hotter loadings and now, there is not nearly the distance between performance in either the 9mm or the 45. 20 years ago...sure...the 45 was a better choice for cops and defensive shooters, but today, that gap is just not that big.

However, many of us grew up shooting 45s and just got comfortable with the guns and the caliber and stick to it.

Hope this helps...because we are not shooting 45s because we cannot shoot as well as the European 9mm shooters....please! LOL

- brickboy240

#26 ·

Just a thought, but I wonder if it's because our country was founded by the gun that we're constantly experimenting and wanting to develop something bigger. Honestly, why on earth would someone want a S&W 500.

Why in the world shouldn't I want a S&W 500?

Following your line of reasoning, we should all be driving little 4-cylinder (or less) vehicles with 75mph top ends...why in the world would one want a 500HP V8?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.