Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone please explain to me why America's are the only people in the world that debate the 9mm as a capable round to stop a threat.It is the most widely used in the world weather in police forces or military.I think maybe we should just learn to shoot better.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Because we're about the only ones in the world that have a choice.
This, we have options and the ability to find what we shoot the best.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
can someone please explain to me why America's are the only people in the world that debate the 9mm as a capable round to stop a threat.It is the most widely used in the world weather in police forces or military.I think maybe we should just learn to shoot better.

Why shoot better, when you can just buy something bigger???

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
Or, of course, one may shoot bigger better...and it's good to have that option.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
America has a history of larger caliber handguns being used at all levels.

Most of Europe doesn't have this history of larger caliber handgun ownership or use.

The OP is falling into the liberal mindset of all cultures or thoughts are equal.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Liberals want diversity, well here it is:

22lr
9mm
38spl
357 mag
41 mag
40 s&w
10mm
45acp
38 super
44spl
44 mag
45lc

Just to name a few.

Ain't diversity great?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts

22lr
9mm
38spl
357 mag
41 mag
40 s&w
10mm
46acp
38 super
44spl
44 mag
45lc

Just to name a few.

Ain't diversity great?
What, no 45 ACP in your diet?

·
Registered
7,016 Posts

22lr
9mm
38spl
357 mag
41 mag
40 s&w
10mm
46acp
38 super
44spl
44 mag
45lc

Just to name a few.

Ain't diversity great?
Add .45acp to that list. :)

Liberals want diversity and tolerance, yet they have no tolerance of anyone elses views other than their own and when it comes to guns and calibers, they are neither for diversity or tolerance.

Sorry I got all political, but 'tis true.

Must of the world isn't afforded the luxury to choose different calibers. Yes, 9mm works, but it isn't the "end-all, be-all" of handgun calibers.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
How did we get on the topic of liberals lol...

I do agree with everyone though that while the 9mm works, that doesnt mean you HAVE to use it... you can be accurate with any caliber, its a personal preference.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Corrected, 45acp replaced 46acp.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I'd say it's because of Miami Vice.

Just a thought, but I wonder if it's because our country was founded by the gun that we're constantly experimenting and wanting to develop something bigger. Honestly, why on earth would someone want a S&W 500.

I'm just thinking out loud, but whether it be initial colonization or the drive west, guns eliminated obstacles for us. That and having a free government (at the time) that learned from the oppression in Europe that the citizen should be armed allowed us to toy with caliber. The countries in Europe at least up to the founding of the US were founded by the sword.

Just a complete guess, though. The government didn't regulate what we had for a very long time either, whereas many other governments do. I want to say Argentina limits the citizens caliber to .380 ACP and in the UK, citizens aren't allowed to have a handgun (I think) or they require some sort of special permit like Chicago (or wherever).

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Until the Brits went crazy, they were a big exception to this rule.
The Brits had larger calibers but they were always underpowered.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I think it's the bigger is better mentality. Those that like a bigger round have to be willing to accept less capacity and being able to physically carry less ammo. So there are both sides to the coin.

Me? I have an XD45 and an XDM9 and am a happy man!

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
I think it's the bigger is better mentality. Those that like a bigger round have to be willing to accept less capacity and being able to physically carry less ammo. So there are both sides to the coin.

Me? I have an XD45 and an XDM9 and am a happy man!
And the PLR-16 is American made ;)

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I'm carrying a 9mm keltec pf9 as I type. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts