Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered some Speer 9mm +P 124gr and then I noticed an old post here in the forum where someone said they are too fast for a 4" barrel and were meant for a 2" barrel. They indicated over expansion due to the extra velocity and under penetration because of the expansion.

But then I watched this video where the guy tests the same rounds with a Glock 19 - isn't that about the same barrel length as the XD9 Service? (mine is an early HS2000 if that makes a difference). And it looks like good performance to me.

I'm fairly new to the concepts of balancing velocity/expansion/penetration but have watched a ton of YouTube videos and I'm mainly learning that the numbers can be misleading when you actually put them to a test from various barrel lengths etc. I really like Paul Harrell's videos with his meat target tests.

Anyone here using +P 124gr Gold Dots in a 4" barrel?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Not factory but I have some 124’s loaded to 1240 and 147’s at 1030 FPS that I’m going to test. More importantly than all the jello tests is if you can place your shots where they’ll do the most good. Just use them and don’t fret.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
All I use for HD/SD are 124 Grain Gold Dots out of 2.7, 3.0, 3.3, 3.8, 4.0, and 5.25-inch barrels, there might be better, but it works for me. 9 MM is not my choice though, I'm a 40 S&W or 357 Sig guy

Reactions: AndyPanda

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Go shoot , if they don't cause you any problems use them. If you find that the +p extra recoil bothers you or you speed on follow up shots on target your good to go.
I shoot them fine out of a 4" XD and a 4.5" Xdm, but prefer not to use +p in smaller platforms like my Walther PPS.

Thanks to the new bullet designs available at the moment , the regular loads seem to do the job. I haven't bought any +P in a while.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Go shoot , if they don't cause you any problems use them. If you find that the +p extra recoil bothers you or you speed on follow up shots on target your good to go.
^ Agreed.

While I'd take the better-performing one in terms of terminal performance, the truth of the matter is that for a defensive firearm, the fact that the chosen cartridge functions flawlessly in that unique gun (i.e. the gun with that unique serial number), produces consistent external ballistics (POA=POI), and is subjectively/objectively a performer in the hands of the shooter (everything from recoil control to muzzle blast to gunsmoke, etc.) are all much MORE important.

In order to inflict damage to the threat, the bullet must exit the muzzle and the cartridge needs to properly function the weapon so that successive shots are capable of doing the same until the desired effect-on-target has been achieved. Given the overall poor performance of virtually all pistol calibers, the ability to reliably effect follow-on shots is absolutely crucial.

External ballistics must be consistent - it's about both accuracy as well as precision. But just as with functioning the weapon, unique guns can like/dislike unique ammo, so this has to be vetted by the end user of that specific weapon as well.

Both in-turn tie-in to the objective and subjective performance of the cartridge/gun in that unique shooter's hands: shooting to a quantifiable metric that includes distance/time/score will incorporate each of the above factors and combine them with the ability of that specific shooter to control the gun. For a simple, concrete example, in the same amount of time, 5 to 10 bullets which did not expand fully but that arrive on-target versus one or three that expanded more impressively but did not arrive on-target...to me, that's an easy choice.

In choosing "the best round" academically, we should also realize that real-world performance may or may not replicate what's seen of various testing protocols. That said, I would definitely myself favor a load that performed better in reputable testing. Luckily, there's so much available to pick from in terms of the modern 9x19 defensive ammunition that this really should not be a limiting factor (Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo). Instead, functional and performance vetting becomes my driving factors for evaluating whether a load/cartridge from that "list" is a good match for me. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts