Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully no one else posted this already, it left me shaking my head.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=34&t=15537 :shock:

XD owners will appreciate this story. Back in November at our department night shoot, one of our young officers proudly brought out his brand new XD 40. He had just purchased it that day, and was going to qualify with it that night. I gave him a hard time for not buying a GLOCK, but just razing as everything I have read about the XD has been great. Just so happened that he got there in time to qualify next to me, brand new gun mind you and the kid had never shot it before. We started the shoot and the new XD would go bang bang click, sometimes bang click and sometimes just click. Needless to say I was giving him alot of crap for buying the XD. The poor youngman had all but given up on his new gun, and told the instructor that some of the primers were dimpled that had not fired. Now at the time our department mostly carried GLOCK 17s as that is issue but me and a few others carry 40 or 45. If you havent guessed the problem yet, sure enough BONEHEAD was shooting 9mm in his new 40. Fortunately there was no damage to the XD, the instructor and I both gave it a good once over (instructor is a dip ****) and the gun was fine. I could not belive how reliable that thing was with 9mm ammo in it. Since then the only flaw I have seen with the XD 40 is that it is only about 50% reliable with 9mm ammo.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
wow

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would expect the 9mm rounds were held in place by the extractor, and about half the time they were held tightly enough for the round to fire, about half the time they weren't.

Scott

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Right f-in on!
All hail the XD.

I can't believe there wasn't any thread damage with the 9mm bouncin around as it left the barrel.
Too cool guys...this is the first thread I read when I got home from work.....just made my day!
8)

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I had something simular happen. I loaded two mags went throught the first changed mags and two shots into the second I had a FTE. I dropped my mag ejected the shell and WOW it was a 9mm. Don't know how I didn't notice it when loading. No damage done but now I make sure and not mix my ammo.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Would that make the XD40 more reliable or less? :p

I can just see a scene from that shoot: "Wow... I swear I already put 12 rounds in this mag."

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I checked my spent shells after finding the 9mm but all the rest were .40. Only one 9mm the one that FTE d. Strange that the shell was not bulged or ruptured.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Guilty! I violated my own rule awhile back about having more than one type of ammo on the table at a time. My daughter was shooting the XD-9, I was shooting the Beretta 96. I was starting to reload a mag when she asked me a question that required putting the mag down. Went back to reloading. Chamber a round the in Beretta, pulled the trigger and bang. I thought, man that felt a little light but it felt good, I must really be getting used to the .40 S&W recoil. Pulled the trigger again and nothing. Looked at the slide and it wasn't in battery so I bumped the slide with my hand and it went into battery. Again no bang. Tried to retract the slide and it wouldn't move. Removed the mag, hmm, those are odd looking .40 rounds, I don't remember seeing any like that....oh s**t!. The case had split as it had lots of room to expand. It had extracted slightly and then I drove it back in the chamber when I saw it out of battery. Had to use a dowel to knock it out. I don't violate this rule anymore.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Okay, while I understand the accident of mixing mags, the original story just makes me wonder:

"What the f*** was that retard doing in a uniform if, on a qualifying run of all things, he loses track of what ammo goes in what gun?!?"

T

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
ttheobald said:
Okay, while I understand the accident of mixing mags, the original story just makes me wonder:
"What the f*** was that retard doing in a uniform if, on a qualifying run of all things, he loses track of what ammo goes in what gun?!?" T
Believe it or not, there are many of us civilians that have more range time than some LEOs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took a friend of mine to the range with me and I was shooting .357 sig and he was shooting .40 cal. He was a newbee and somehow he managed to load a .40 cal mag with .357 sig. Course there's nothing wrong with that per se, but he was shooting them from a .40 cal barrel. It wasn't very accurate and it only took one or two shoots to realize something was wrong. No damage done, so kinda humorous now as I think about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
TomSwift said:
ttheobald said:
"What the f*** was that retard doing in a uniform if, on a qualifying run of all things, he loses track of what ammo goes in what gun?!?" T
Believe it or not, there are many of us civilians that have more range time than some LEOs.
Hell, if you go to the range more than twice a year, you have more shooting time that the average COP......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts