Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i made a thread similar to this on another forum and got SOME help, but i got a lot more people who didn't read past my title

i'm looking to purchase a 9mm

i have a few in mind, a few different sizes

the four i've been looking at are

CZ 2075 RAMI, i like it cause it's small enough to fit in my pocket, which would fill the only foreseeable situation where i can't use my Glock

Beretta PX4 Storm, i like the look of it and it's got some great reviews

Ruger P95, the biggest weapon on my list, i've shot a P90 before and REALLY liked it, this is a similar size, plus it's the cheapest option

Sig 226, the most expensive on my list, i've got no reason to want this other than i REALLY want a Sig haha

i've read up on these, all of them have really good reviews

that thread also got me a few other recommendations

Sig 2022, considerably cheaper than the 226

S&W 5096, it looks to be a little big, but it's about the same price as the Ruger i was looking at

S&W 3913, got a few pictures of this one and it looks like a good size, but i've not read any reviews nor looked at pricing

while i am open to suggestions, i'll say that it HAS to be SA/DA (so no SR9 or anything Glock) and i would LIKE to be able to carry it if my current CCW weapon becomes unavailable (it's a Glock 30), but that last one isn't a necessity

i want it primarily to shoot at the range, since the 30 is a little expensive to shoot and .45 in such a small package isn't quite as fun as a 9mm

can anybody help me?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
My favorite 9mm is CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical (all steel) and highly recommend you try it before buying any. The SW 5906 is half the price (used) but actually feels better to shoot. My problem is it felt bulkier in my hands and it have a mag disconnect. The Sig SP2022 (though great value) is no where near both IMHO.

I do own all 3 just so you'll know.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I always say shoot the guns you want, see what you like. I've got a Sig P226 Navy which is an outstanding gun IMO. I also have a PX4 subcompact...granted not the full size but both are fantastic and I put hundreds of rounds through the range funs before buying.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You can't go wrong with a P226. I agree it's a pretty penny, but you may want to consider getting a used one. I've got a P226 Elite and have been very happy with it. I personally would not carry one concealed as it's too dang heavy, but the DA/SA is such a pleasure to shoot.

Here's some visual to help you along...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
out of your list i would go with the 226, but i would look for a west germany 226 reason why it is sexy and what else do you need to know...

as for the sig 2022 i just picked one up today and i have not shot this one yet i love everything about it. the way it feels the way it looks and everything else.

as for the other ones you have said

i can not comment on the CZ or the ruger. i do know i held a CZ75 compact and i was not happy with the slide hard to explain so i wont.

the beretta i really like and it is on my short list SOMETIMES.

just my opinion. i am hoping to go to the range tomorrow or with in the next day and i will have a full report on the 2022

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Warning: This is heavily OPINION-based so please go out and shoot all the guns mentioned for yourself!

Like many others, my favorite SA/DA line is the CZ-75 pistols. For the money, they are the best shooters out there.

I am sure to catch flak for this, but I feel they are better than the SIG line (especially with some of the news about SIG's quality slipping lately). They are cheaper, as accurate, and I feel they are easier to carry than the blocky SIG. I still think I would rather a high-end CZ Shadow over the SIG 226 X-Five too.

I have shot the CZ-75B, 75BD, 97 (.45 acp version) and I own a CZ P-01. The have all been extremely accurate for me and fit my hand well.

If you want a carry piece, seriously consider the CZ P-01. It's a nice, compact size, but you can still get all fingers on the grip. Its alloy frame makes it light, though there are pistols out there that are lighter.

I have shot the SIG P229, 226 (in both 9 and 40), and the SIG P225. Of these, I was actually most accurate with the P225 (single stack 9). The SIG trigger stroke seems rather long to me and that is MY problem, as well as the grip being quite thick for my hand. I know plenty of shooters who love SIG and shoot them well - but I've noticed many of them seem to have large hands... so I think that may be a trend. My medium mitts just won't do. I will probably own a SIG eventually but it is likely to be a P225 or a P229 with the newer slim grip.

I also own a Beretta PX4 Subcompact. I like the PX4 line, and the little compact is a good shooter for me. Its trigger took a while for me to learn, as it seems to be pickier than many of my other handguns on where I place my finger on the trigger. The full sized PX4 in 9mm is a very light-shooting 9, and would make a good range gun.

Another possibility to consider would be Beretta's 92 and Cougar lines.

While I've long felt the Beretta 92 is a larger, heavier gun than it really needs to be, you can find very accurate 92s for reasonable prices. I say "can find" because I've heard their accuracy varies a lot, though I have experience with one that was very accurate right out of the box.

Also, the Cougar line is an all metal gun that shares a lot of similarities with the PX4. It's now manufactured by Stoeger, a subsidiary of Beretta. The Cougar is a little better suited to Concealed Carry, though it's still heavy. This weight, combined with a rotating barrel (the precursor to the PX4's similar barrel) makes it very light shooting.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
damn ndb good write up. i enjoy the part where you said you like the 225 since i just bought two of them haha...

i will have to look into the other cz line

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the CZs get REALLY good reviews any time anyone speaks about weapons, hell somebody just killed a guy on The Closer with a CZ haha

but if i was going to spend the money that a 75 costs, i'd just buy the Sig since i've wanted a Sig for so long

the 75s around here are just as expensive as the 226, and if i ordered one offline i'd get the cheaper price but not with shipping and FFL

that's why i'm not looking at that line of CZs

the 2075 is pretty tiny, but i've found it for cheaper than the other CZs that have been listed here

thanks for the help though guys, i'll at least look more into the pricing on the P-01 and what kind of deals i can find locally

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I have a Smith 5906 and even though it is not all steel, it is still pretty heavy. But a CZ 75 is also heavy, and that along with a Beretta 92 or Beretta/Stoeger Couger (NOT the Storm)! Sig would be my first choices for you, they are all heavier than a Glock. If you choose Sig, I would get a higher capacity than the 225, even though I own one & it's phenomenal. If you are going to spend the money and buy a metal pistol, you may as well have high capacity mags

The CZ Rami is a little too large & heavy for inside your pocket. There were some major function issues early on in their release, might want to read up on that before commiting to one.
I would not get the Ruger since you are looking at others that simply trump it like a CZ, Beretta, S&W. The Ruger has horrible sights and parts, holsters, and sights are not easily available. You can pretty much find any holster sights and aftermarket springs/parts for the CZ, Beretta, Sig, and S&W.
That really makes a huge difference

·
Registered
2,323 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Heard a lot of good things about the CZ Rami. I own a CZ75B and I'm very impressed with it. Imo you just have to shoot as many as you can, or go with your gut feelings when you have one of them in your hands. Sounds to me like you have been doing your homework and reading all the reviews and asking questions ,so that's a good thing. For a small 9mm I personally like the Kahr PM9, It's light and small and conceals well etc.. I like the XD line for slightly larger to full size polymer pistols. For all steel 9mm pistols I like the 1911's or the CZ 75B. Giving the edge to the CZ because of it's SA/DA trigger. Can't say I've shot them all so I won't comment on the other brands your looking at. They all sound great and in this day and time I'm sure they all are,its just a matter of what works best for you....Good luck

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
A few more to ponder:

H&K USP9 Compact. Can be carried Cocked & Locked, DA with safety, DA without safety, and usually comes with a decocker.

H&K P30--up there in price with the Sig, but one hell of a handgun. If I liked HK's LEM trigger, or DA/SA (which I abhor), I'd own one.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The CZ75 is sweet. Only put 150 rounds through a friends, but it's on my list of guns to own. I have a Beretta 92 FS Compact and love it. 100% reliable and accurate. It may be an option since they are now making them again.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
i made a thread similar to this on another forum and got SOME help, but i got a lot more people who didn't read past my title

i'm looking to purchase a 9mm

i have a few in mind, a few different sizes

the four i've been looking at are

CZ 2075 RAMI, i like it cause it's small enough to fit in my pocket, which would fill the only foreseeable situation where i can't use my Glock

Beretta PX4 Storm, i like the look of it and it's got some great reviews

Ruger P95, the biggest weapon on my list, i've shot a P90 before and REALLY liked it, this is a similar size, plus it's the cheapest option

Sig 226, the most expensive on my list, i've got no reason to want this other than i REALLY want a Sig haha

i've read up on these, all of them have really good reviews

that thread also got me a few other recommendations

Sig 2022, considerably cheaper than the 226

S&W 5096, it looks to be a little big, but it's about the same price as the Ruger i was looking at

S&W 3913, got a few pictures of this one and it looks like a good size, but i've not read any reviews nor looked at pricing

while i am open to suggestions, i'll say that it HAS to be SA/DA (so no SR9 or anything Glock) and i would LIKE to be able to carry it if my current CCW weapon becomes unavailable (it's a Glock 30), but that last one isn't a necessity

i want it primarily to shoot at the range, since the 30 is a little expensive to shoot and .45 in such a small package isn't quite as fun as a 9mm

can anybody help me?
There are significant size differences between the guns listed. Some, such as the Rami, are better for CC than a full size pistol like the P226, but the P226 would be nicer as a range gun. If interested in a CZ that can be used as a CCW and a range weapon, I'd recommend the CZ P-01 or PCR. As you've probably already found, CZs (except maybe the P-07, YMMV) are reliable, durable, ergonomic, accurate, etc. Parts and holsters are pretty easy to come by as well and what's more, the pistols aren't very expensive. Either run around the $500 range which is a lot of pistol for the price. The one thing I'll mention is that CZ trigger grittiness is kind-of hit-or-miss. Some come with great triggers whereas others require roughly 500-1000 rounds to smooth out. It's fun, though, and once smoothed is a great shooter.

I, at one time, was considering getting a P226 and I followed the Sig Forum for information and general opinions. It was there that convinced me to NOT get a new Sig. Generally speaking, the guns are no longer worth the premium they charge and IMHO should be in the $500-$600 price range rather than the $700-$800 they're asking for. From what I've read, quality started going downhill around 2003 when the US plant picked up on manufacturing. Let me put it this way, the German SP2022s had developed an exceptional reputation for reliability, durability, etc. Then the US plant started manufacturing them and problem reports started coming in. IMHO, US Sig is still benefiting from the reputation the parent, German company made, but they're not the same. I'd buy a German P226, but not a US version.

With that being said, I have one of the German SP2022s and it's an excellent firearm and for the $400 price is a steal. The SP2022 is about the same size, but a little taller and heavier than the CZ and carries one extra round. The cheapest I've found for magazines is $30 whereas CZ mags are $20. No aftermarket magazines for the SP2022. Still, it's an excellent pistol that is likewise reliable and durable, but you really have to hold/shoot one to determine if the grip will work for you. It's not bad, but no where near as ergonomic as the CZ. It really is a bargain and an excellent shooter, but the CZ beats it in weight and dimensions.

I gave my Dad a SW5906 I had. Pretty good gun, but of an era before drop in parts. Things like the extractor have to be "tuned" for the pistol and some gunsmiths won't perform a trigger job because of the difficulty. I'm sure there are places you can send it for work. It's heavy, though. Really heavy, but if it works for you, it'll last a lifetime. It's reliable, ergonomic, durable, but to heavy for CC IMHO. The last thing I'll mention is that I didn't find it very accurate for me. I'm downright surgical with CZs, Berettas and the SP2022, but couldn't never get a good group with the 5906. That's subjective, though.

I'd like to throw in the Beretta 92FS Compact for consideration. They started to reimport them from Italy and they're really great shooters. It's a little wide, but otherwise about the same dimensions as the CZ and SP2022. It's accurate, reliable, durable, etc., but again a little heavy. It would make an excellent range gun and parts/equipment are easy to find since most M9/92FS parts fit. Compared to the CZ, though, the CZ is lighter, more ergonomic, carries an extra round, but it's still a great gun and exceptionally easy to maintain.

Another DA/SA gun I'd throw in is the FNH FNP-9 or FNX-9. I have the FNP-9 and it has been reliable, accurate, ergonomic, etc. I don't have enough rounds to determine durability, but I most likely will not wear it out. Of them all, this one feels the lightest and it's a draw for me between it and the SP2022 for the best out-of-the-box trigger. Excellent trigger.

The last thing I'll mention deals with future purchases. Of the pistols listed, the CZ is the only manufacturer that has guns that run the gamut from full size to subcompact and everything in between. What's more, you can select from either a safety or a decocker, with or without rail. They're all reliable, durable, ergonomic, etc. and within the 75 series, many if not most parts are interchangeable and the magazines can be shared. In other words, you can train with one platform and change size of the pistol as necessary.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I love my Px4 Storm (full size) in .40. CZ's are nice too, I like the 75b and S/P01. Sigs are, well Sigs. Another gun to think about is the Walther P99. It is striker fired, but is DA/SA with a decocker integrated into the slide. I was really torn between the p99 and the Px4. I got the px4 because of the thumb safety and that none of the ranges in my area had a P99 for rent.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Of the guns you listed I own a 2022 and a 3913. Both are awesome DA/SA options. The 3913 is a thin, single stack gun with awesome ergonomics and quite a cult following. The hammer is bobbed and cannot be pre-cocked with your thumb. I have never heard a complaint about them nor have I seen any fail. Mine is 18 years old and looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. It has been carried a lot but the stainless slide cleans right up with steel wool. The SP2022 is one of my favorite service sized weapons. I like the DA/SA trigger and the fact that I can put my thumb on the hammer when holstering which really helps to mitigate the possibility of an ND when reholstering. I like them both for different reasons.

The things I don't like about each....
The 3913 came with a magazine disconnect. I removed mine but know that they come with them. The 3913 has an ambidextrous decocker/safety that gets in my way. I removed the right side and buffed the safety barrel down flush so that's no longer an issue for me either.

The only negative about the 2022 is the horned trigger guard. I prefer rounded. Once again, easy fix for me and my belt sander :)

I did look at a Rami last year but in the end found I to be too wide for it's intended purpose.

For the record, I have a few 9mms that I carry at different times. I like DA/SA as well but I just bought an LC9 and have fired 600+ rounds through it without any issues. It has become my edc. As with the 3913 I removed the magazine disconnect and filed the lci down a bit.

My 3913

My 2022

My LC9

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I'll add that I also have a new Sig P226 Navy, not a W. German made gun and it's a fantastic, quality hand gun. It is relatively heavy and not an EDC, a home defense weapon and range gun. Every gun manufacturer is gong to have an X number of guns that are lemons so don't let internet hype scare you away from a new Sig, the quality and reliability is there. Just have to test it for yourself.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Another one to consider is the Sig P290. A new subcompact 9 mm small enough to go into a pocket. Weighs only 19 oz and is on sale at Cabelas today for $599 @ $80 off regular price. Check it out if you really want a sig. It's a mighty fine looking handgun. :cool:

·
Registered
133 Posts
There have been many fine choices presented so far, but......

All the talk about a Sig has revolved around the P226. Yes, it's a fine gun, but a bit too large for carry.

My favorite handgun is my Sig P229R in 9mm. It is the standard DA/SA trigger and is a Exter gun. It is scary accurate, and has never malfunctioned in any way. It fits me like a glove. I don't know if it is a great range gun that can be carried, or a range ready CCW gun. It works great for both.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts