1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Based on the numbers given, the 124g bullet is a little hotter, with a PF of 147. The 115g has a noted PF of 137. In my testing, the 115g came in higher than that, around 149.

I now shoot Armscor ammo, which has a PF of roughly 135.

Anyone else ever chrono WWB out of a XD Service model?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
PF, Power Factor, used in practical shooting

bullet weight (grains) x velocity / 1000

Ex: 147 x 800 / 1000 = 117.6 PF

Minimum PF for USPSA and IDPA is 125, Bianchi style is 120 (I think)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Old School said:
Anyone else ever chrono WWB out of a XD Service model?
My chrono of 147s: http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=21343

My 115s were:

Winchester advertises 1190 at the muzzle. I was roughly about 3 feet from the front of the chrono.

PF floor for 125PF is 855fps for 147s and 1087 for 115s.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I just chrono some ammo so that I didn't get any surprises at the Major Matches this year. Here are the numbers out of my 4" Service XD.

WWB 115 = 134.7 PF
Wolf 115 = 137.7 PF
NATO 124 = 154.0 PF

NATO is alot Hotter !!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Old School said:
bobert1 said:
WWB 115 = 134.7 PF
Really? My results were much hotter than that. Do you think it matters that I tested with a Tactical and not the Service model?
What I was told was that the longer the barrel the hotter the round. That is because the burning powder is pushing the bullet for a fraction longer in the longer barrel.

I do know 2 shooters that do use the Pact IV Timer/chronograph combo and are happy with it. I use 2 seperate units by Competition Electronics.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that's what I was wantin to know. I love the military style rounds....a big bang...sure function....but not bein unsafe to use.
I'll never buy another "store brand" ammo in 5.56mm again.....not .223...5.56mm. The military ammo used in a military chambered weapon...oo man..! If I carry a so called duty sidearm...I am goin to shoot duty ammunition out of it.
I dunno...just the way I am I guess. Loud guns, loud pipes, and a loud stereo. 8)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Competition Electronics chrono as well here.

Something I had deviate was that I had more erratic velocties from value packs of 9mm than from box/tray packaging. I left the results in my car, I'll post tomorrow.

I think the QA/QC on the value packs of 9mm are just a tad bit less than ones packaged in trays.

That 9mm NATO ammo is just almost right at +P spec for the 9mm +P (1220fps) that Speer produces in GoldDots. (154,000/124 = 1241fps)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I assume these Nato rounds are suppose to be more "tactical" than say WWB?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there any difference between the Winchester brand Nato rounds, compared to the Federal brand Nato?
Both are 124gr......

·
Registered
688 Posts
The NATO Contract specifies Bullet Grain and FPS. So reguardless what company wins the contract for a given year the performance should be the same.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
bobert1 said:
The NATO Contract specifies Bullet Grain and FPS. So reguardless what company wins the contract for a given year the performance should be the same.
Except for Hertinberger 9mm NATO. Made specficaly for SMGs, real hot loads.... :D

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
bobert1 said:
Old School said:
bobert1 said:
WWB 115 = 134.7 PF
Really? My results were much hotter than that. Do you think it matters that I tested with a Tactical and not the Service model?
What I was told was that the longer the barrel the hotter the round. That is because the burning powder is pushing the bullet for a fraction longer in the longer barrel.

I do know 2 shooters that do use the Pact IV Timer/chronograph combo and are happy with it. I use 2 seperate units by Competition Electronics.

Thats right, and a reduced muzzle flash (wasted energy) from longer barrels. Like shooting my Mosin Nagants at night, The 20" carbines look like a flame thrower!!!! The M91 with the 31" barrel has a LOT less flash. Not me but same results......... http://p077.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm25.showMessage?topicID=11894.topic

And this one...........
http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=105412

Kill it and cook it all at once!!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
FatMatt1981 said:
Is there any difference between the Winchester brand Nato rounds, compared to the Federal brand Nato?
Both are 124gr......
Matching apples to apples, the Federal rounds have been slightly more consistent performers for more shooters, because Federal is the only player in the game still using single stage primers resulting in a quicker ignition. This info came from a couple high end shooters. The quicker the primer/powder light off, the less time for you to drift off target, especially on long shots.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Like another member said, NATO ammo is loaded to bullet weight and speed, not pressure. The current US NATO spec for the ammo is a 124grn bullet at 1250fps (older NATO Europeon ammo is rated at 1300fps with a 124grn bullet). This results in pressures which are somewhat on the "+p" side. Regular commercial ammo is loaded to SAMI spec which is a pressure spec and has nothing to do with speed. I think the commercial stuff is 35,000psi, whereas the NATO US spec stuff can be expected to produce something like 37,000psi.

Also be sure when buying NATO ammo that you get the stuff intended for pistols (has a circle with an X in it on the cartons... rated for pistols and submachineguns) rather than the stuff for just submachineguns (which has a circle with nothing in the center). The plain circle stuff is even higher pressure and could be dangerous or at least injurious to your pistol with repeated firing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts