Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious as to if anyone has used any USGI Nato stamped 9mm. I believe ammoman has the 124grains for sale.
I was wonderin if this stuff would make good plinkin ammo.
I've bought Govt. 5.56mm in the past, and noticed it was alot hotter than any standard factory load I used before. Is this stuff like that?
Or should I just stick to usin WWB or Blazer etc.?
Havin a nice hot load would be kinda cool though if they're accurate. :wink:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I wouldn't use it for target. It's a hotter load just like the 5.56 NATO. If your pistol can't handle it you will surely have some problems.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Huh?

I have run tons of that stuff through my Hi-Power and when I owned a Glock 17, I ran much of it through that pistol and never noticed any problems.

The HP is about 8 years old and does not show any signs of giving up or being stressed at all by the NATO ammo. This Hi-Power is an Isralei contract pistol that has a super hard cast frame that was designed to withstand the hotter Uzi 9mm ammo the Israleis load, so its a very strong pistol to begin with. (the Uzi/IMI loaded 9x19mm is very hot stuff and will beat a Beretta to junk quite quickly)

I wouldn't run gobs of 9mm NATO through an early Beretta 92, but the ol' HP is doing fine after about 700rds of the stuff. It was very accurate, too.

I don't believe it is that much hotter than 115gr Winny white box, but the heavier bullet does give a little more recoil.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it is a good hot, accurate, load....I'd like to have a few hundred rounds.
I was sold on the Lake City govt. ammo in my AR-15 only after a couple rounds....very good recoil, clean, and a **** load more accurate than standard .223.
I wonder if this stuff is comparible.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
It is supposed to be hotter than +p+. Use at your own risk.

I know alot of auto guys use it, but there was some disclaimer somewhere about using it for pistols

·
Registered
212 Posts
Brickboy240 said:
Huh?

I have run tons of that stuff through my Hi-Power and when I owned a Glock 17, I ran much of it through that pistol and never noticed any problems.

The HP is about 8 years old and does not show any signs of giving up or being stressed at all by the NATO ammo. This Hi-Power is an Isralei contract pistol that has a super hard cast frame that was designed to withstand the hotter Uzi 9mm ammo the Israleis load, so its a very strong pistol to begin with. (the Uzi/IMI loaded 9x19mm is very hot stuff and will beat a Beretta to junk quite quickly)

I wouldn't run gobs of 9mm NATO through an early Beretta 92, but the ol' HP is doing fine after about 700rds of the stuff. It was very accurate, too.

I don't believe it is that much hotter than 115gr Winny white box, but the heavier bullet does give a little more recoil.

-Brickboy240
The HP is designed for it. I believe the Glock can handle it also.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the XD up to it??
I trust shootin military ammo in my Bushmaster....just because it's built to shoot the stuff.....thousands of rounds at a time. I dunno much bout what the XD was designed for besides "civilain" use.
I really appreciate the feedback on this....I would be very upset if I bought a ton of this stuff..only for the first round I shoot to blow somethin apart. :?

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Actually, I have run 9mm Nato made by Winchester as wel as Isralei IMI made 9mm (the black tipped fmjs) through my old Glock 17 and HP.

The Isralei stuff seemed MUCH hotter than the NATO...more like Cor Bon +Ps or a 357 mag revolver. Loud and the recoil was very snappy, like a hot 40SW. Most gunsmiths I know have warned me about running IMI made 9mm through alloy framed 9mms, like Berettas or Sigs or even older 9mms like Smith MOd 59/39s and definately don't run it in a P-38 Walther or Luger. The Israleis load this round hot, to kick the stiff action of the Uzi carbine, when it is full of sand. The Isralei contract, FN made Hi-Power was designed with the IMI hot loads in mind and it will not distress the pistol at all. Ditto for the Golck, which is what the Israleis use today, in conjunction with the IMI made Jerico (Baby Eagle) pistols.

I'd check around...I am not sure that 9mm NATO is really that much hotter than standard SAAMI spec 115gr fmj factory ammo. The heavier bullet will give you a bit more recoil, but not that much more.

Both the 9mm NATO and Isralei stuff was very accurate, BTW.

Is the XD up to it? I dunno. Might give SA's office a call and see if it is covered under thier warranty, before shooting any of the stuff. My guess (and its ONLY a guess) is that the XD 9 is up to the task of handling 9mm NATO ammo.

Isn't the XD/HS2000 what the Croatian Army carries as a sidearm? I would guess to venture that they shoot lots of 9mm NATO spec ammo through their guns.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
471 Posts
The Xd is 100% safe with the 9mm NATO load. You will find that most high quality modern 9mm pistols are perfectly safe with this load. The 9mm NATO is a "+p" load and SA will tell you +p is ok to use.

Here is comparative data fired from a P89:
9mm WWB 115gr = 1131 ft/sec
9mm NATO 124gr = 1163 ft/sec
9mm SXT +p+ 127gr = 1237ft/sec

It is nice shooting ammo.

The only one you want to stay away from is Hirtenberger 9mm SMG ammo. From what I understand that stuff is REALLY hot. SA may also tell you that the Ranger SXT is not safe. You use this at your own risk. However, many PDs use this ammo without problem.

-Dana

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was hoping for a nice and hot load, that is as accurate as I'd like.
Havin it make a major Bang seems cool to me. I dunno....I guess I'm the typical redneck...the bigger, louder, the better!
Unless I'm riskin damage to somethin that is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've shot the NATO stuff from ammoman.. it will NOT hurt your pistol. There is a lot of misinformation on the internet, so take everything you hear for a grain of salt... same goes for the gun rags.

The Ammoman 9mm 124gr NATO stuff is pretty accurate, and about as hot, maybe even a little less so, as the 124gr Speer Gold Dot +P... its not the +P+ subgun ammo, such as the L7A1 SMG ammo thats out there.

I have about 500 rounds left from 2000 that I bought last summer... its good stuff.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right on.
Is it as accurate as WWB??

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
I have a friend who shoots nothing but Georgia Arms NATO 124gr 9mm in his 3rd gen HS2000. I also use GA NATO ammo in my other 9mm pistols, and I've shot thousands of rnds. I think the NATO rnd is a bit more accurate than the WWB.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Interesting, i didn't know NATO ammo was +P, that sounds like it could be a problem in some guns since the box isn't marked as such. I guess all those Rohrbaugh owners(both of them) will need to be advised.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Its not +P, commercialy made ammo in the US is -P-. In Europe the NATO loads are considered standard, less lawyers I guess to sue ammo companies in case of a gun failure.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wonder who makes the US issued 9mm...lake city??

·
Registered
102 Posts
I shot some of the Winchester NATO stuff today. What I did was take it and some WWB and alternate it in the magazine. Really I couldn't tell much difference between the two.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The ammo I got from ammoman is made by fedreal. It's marked on the bottom of the case. What I plan to do is at local matches like today's at Miami Rifle & Pistol I use the NATO. It is a hotter load. When I go to Major Shoots I'll go back to WWB and hope for better control. :roll:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts