Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago, my dad introduced me to the wonderful world of firearms.

Then we both discovered competition shooting.

Then we started getting serious about it. I was only 14 at the time, so, naturally, I was shooting what he was shooting.

He would regularly send off his guns to get worked on, upgraded, machined, etc. One in particular was a S&W 9mm (don't know what model). He'd started tuning it for the sole purpose of entering speed competitions.

He got the pistol back and we ran round after round through it...and couldn't get tight enough groups. We went through pretty much every MFG, weight and type of ammo we could find, and then started hand-loading them.

Keep in mind, we were shooting competition with hand-load .357 through S&W and Colt and BOTH of us were getting groups no bigger than a quarter (usually dime-nickel) at 10-15 yds.

The 9mm we couldn't get a group within 2 inches.

I recently talked to my dad after purchasing my SA XD 9mm sub compact, and he brought all of this back to memory, questioning why I would go to such an unreliable round.

He also cited his experience with 9mm being unreliable due to the inconsistent crimp because the casing is so short...that you just can't get a consistent round because of it.

My questions for the board are:

Is this "unreliability" still the case?

Is it possible to find consistent/quality 9mm luger factory ammo?

Or has the technology for handloading been improved so that crimping is no longer an issue?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The problem your dad had is not the 9mm but the older M39 S&W. From quality pistol w/ a good trigger & bbl. the 9mm is no less accurate than any other cartridge. There are some factory target loads, like Federal, that ar quite good, but the best ammo can't make an average pistol a target piece. The XDs are very accurate. I would imagine fed any decent handload or factory ammo, they will shoot into a quarter @ 10yds. My Glock will do that & I don't think Glocks are all that accurate.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
What kind of competion calls for small groups @ 15 yds? (I really don't know!)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I read a thread on a bullseye shooting forum about carefully made handloads being fired through a 9mm barrel assembly made just for testing- not a complete pistol. The groups the 9mm's made were flat out astounding. fredj338 is right- the M39 was not the best test of 9mm accuracy. There are 9mm shooters who would make your jaw drop with their loads put through a tuned CZ75.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I've never had an accuracy issue w/ 9mm. I've got a beretta and a sig that could probably damn near put every round through the same hole at 10~15 yards if it was being shot from a ransom rest.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of competion calls for small groups @ 15 yds? (I really don't know!)

None...that was just my dad's anal-retentive nature. *l* But at least that way we KNEW that the gun and ammo were a perfect match...that any further issues with accuracy and speed were directly related to the shooter and NOT the equipment.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Rabbit, you were blessed with a great father that took the time to involve you in his hobbies. You will adapt much of his "anal" perspective as you approach his age. Good on you! Don't leave your child, or children out of this lifetime hobby.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts