Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger® LCR® Double-Action Revolver Models

Huh. I remember the first wave of 9mm revolvers, and how they kinda flopped. And how about that 9mm Federal...;) *

Looks like they might be here to stay this time...

Personally, I'd prefer a .38 in the same package; about the only thing going for the 9mm revolvers is the moon clips..and, I guess I could also see where if you owned a 9mm auto, you wouldn't have to buy a second caliber...

But...in that short of a barrel, I feel that the heavier bullets--particularly wadcutter and WCHP's are going to be a superior choice than any 9mm...

*9mm Federal was the 9mm equivalent of .45 Auto Rim...and was a complete flop.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
yeah, I'd say it flopped the first time partly because the 9mm cartridge wasn't as popular in the 80s as it is today, and partly because revolver guys can tend to be a more "traditional" bunch. Why change to a weaker round in essentially the same platform, when you're already accustomed to .357 magnum or .38 spl?

This one will likely do much better since 9mm is still quite popular and because many people believe that it is an effective SD round.

Personally, I wouldn't likely bother with the 9mm LCR (I'll go with .357 when the LCR hits the top of my list) but I'm considering it for my wife. I just mentioned it to her, and she likes the idea (She already has the LCR 22 but likes the 9mm cartridge as well).

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Wow this is awesome , I was hoping for 44spl but 9mm in an LCR is going to be great.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Might be a gun for the Fiancé but i would never carry it something about a 9mm revolver just sounds wrong to me, Kinda like the 9mm Baby Eagles, My brother has one and i ask him when he is going to get a grown up gun

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
hahahaha...thanks for the laugh Cuda...haven't heard anybody mention a 9mm Federal in a looooooong time! :lol:

got to admit I would be on-board for an LCR in .45 auto or 10mm :shock:

·
Registered
29,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hahahaha...thanks for the laugh Cuda...haven't heard anybody mention a 9mm Federal in a looooooong time! :lol:

got to admit I would be on-board for an LCR in .45 auto or 10mm :shock:
I've got a S&W 325 that I'm fond of; I've got my eyes open for a 310 or 610...

If Ruger did make it in .45/10, they'd have to make it bigger, though...a 5-shot based on the GP100 frame would make a nice carry piece.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Interesting. I'd agree, the main appeal would be to eliminate adding another caliber. That ship has already sailed for me, so I'll probably pass.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
For "S**ts and Giggles", Charter Arms builds one of these in 9 & .40, NO moon clips required. That's pretty nifty! Not bad looking to boot.

79920 9 mm Pitbull Rimless Revolver

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm not quite sure what the appeal or benefit is of having a traditionally auto loading caliber in a revolver, other than the desire to eliminate adding another caliber to the mix. Can anyone who has one explain the benefits over a traditional revolver chambering?

·
Registered
29,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not quite sure what the appeal or benefit is of having a traditionally auto loading caliber in a revolver, other than the desire to eliminate adding another caliber to the mix. Can anyone who has one explain the benefits over a traditional revolver chambering?
About the only other thing going for it would be moon clips...possibly also cleaner ejection with the shorter cases.

Beyond that...not much.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Im interested would take a caliber away logistically for class. Ammos cheaper too.

Revolver guys hate moon clips.

Ccw guys love revolvers and 9mm

It will sell

3rd partial moon for a pocket comfortable reload like I use speed strips in class it will be nice.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Caliber commonality between main and backup carry could be one reason.

Otherwise, it's for the 9mm nutswingers such as myself. ;)

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
About the only other thing going for it would be moon clips...possibly also cleaner ejection with the shorter cases.

Beyond that...not much.
Shorter oal or allowing longer barrel regardless shorter cylinder is easier to conceal

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I still want a .22 mag for my mom. If she ever has to shoot that .38 she has she could only get off one shot with 81 years of wear and tear on her hands.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts