Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
yobo97sc2 said:
if you like me looking for info on 9mm rounds then check this link out, it has a bunch of results:
click here
The problem here is the lack of detail in the information. Was the gel properly calibrated? What was the gel mixture? How many shots were fired?

It's fun to shoot bullets into things and then recover them but you can't take the info presented here as anything more than "just for fun" because it doesn't appear to have been done in a scientific manner. At least if it was the results aren't presented in a scientific manner. You also don't get to see any pictures or comments about the permanant wound channel, which is a key part of bullet performance.

The first round he shows is the Federal EFMJ. This round has been shown to have very inconsistent expansion when shot through denim. This has been further buttressed by the Detroit PD who has not been happy with the round.

The second round is the RBCD 60gr. Aside from RBCD being revealed as total charlatans in the claims about their ammo, the guy on the website says "expansion is actually area of dispersion
2" wide, 5" deep area was completely pulverized." Maybe I'm misinterpreting but it sounds like he's saying that is a good thing. It's not. You need much deeper penetration for consistent incapacitation.

Again though, he may not be claiming to be proving anything about the worth of this ammo but it shouldn't be taken as scientific results.

brad cook

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i found this on the site:
What is your test procedure?

The gelatin is 100% pure from Kind & Knox, but is not specifically labeled as ordinance gelatin. It is mixed to 10% and calibrated using a .177 BB at 590 fps and must fall within 7.5 - 9.5 cm of penetration. A minimum of 3 rounds are fired into the gel from a distance of 3 feet through two layers of loosely layered denim.

is there a better page that has gel tests of various ammo?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
yobo97sc2 said:
i found this on the site:
What is your test procedure?

The gelatin is 100% pure from Kind & Knox, but is not specifically labeled as ordinance gelatin. It is mixed to 10% and calibrated using a .177 BB at 590 fps and must fall within 7.5 - 9.5 cm of penetration. A minimum of 3 rounds are fired into the gel from a distance of 3 feet through two layers of loosely layered denim.
Ok, now that's a start!

is there a better page that has gel tests of various ammo?
Unfortunately that kind of thing isn't easy to come across. I'd nose around www.tacticalforums.com if I were you in The Terminal Effects Forum. Occasionally DocGKR will post some results of the latest testing. He does a lot of testing for various law enforcement agencies. David Difabio used to post a bunch of well done test data at his sight but now it's a pay site.

You might be interested in this thread from tactical forums. Scroll down lower on the very first post to where it says "The following loads have all demonstrated outstanding terminal performance:"

That might be helpful if you're trying to settle on some defensive ammo. Those recommendations come not just from gel testing but also from examining street results after police shootings. Dr. Roberts has done a lot of post-incident autopsies and had lots of discussions with LEO's and agencies regarding the terminal performance of their ammo and weapons.

brad cook

·
Registered
758 Posts
This guy is the only 9x18 tests that I know of on the web. I just wish I could get CCI 9x18, but they stopped making it.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Digme, I guess it's me after all. I am obviously deficient in something. The reason I say this is because before the Ammo Can forum was started and ammo questions were asked/answered on the other ones, I too advised going to that particular thread (service pistol calibers) on tactical forums. I mentioned Dr. Gary Roberts and I also mentioned the testing was done using denim (4 layers).

I was attacked a few times (I foolishly replied in more than one thread re ammo choice) by those who believe any hollow point is good, denim testing is not valid and I basically don't know what I am talking about.

Now, you offer the same advice (albiet, you posted the links, which I still have yet to figure out how to do, despite asking for help a few times) and so far it's been accepted. Congratulations, I don't know how you did it, but my hat's off to you.

Obviously, this is tongue in cheek and I of course mean you no disrespect, I'm just trying to figure out why I was flamed for doing the same thing. Your advice was excellent. :?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've posted a link to that same thread on Tactical Forums before (and would have done it here if Digme hadn't beaten me to it), and no one squealled. Maybe they're getting used to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts