Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all....I am purchasing an XD-9sc and have a couple questions. First, I think I read somewhere that I could use my XD-40 mags in this "9" without any modification. True or Not? Comments?

Second, it's been decades since I studied the ballistics etc of the 9mm as a defensive round. So many types of 9mm now that I am getting lost in details. What makes the best round...heavier weight with lower velocity, faster velocity with lighter bullit, or "as heavy as possible with velocity at least 1000fps".....I am so lost in trying to decide the best here.

I would love all comments that will help here. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Being a short barrel, you will loose alot of velocity versus the longer barrel. For that reason, I carry 115 grain Gold Dots in my SubXD so I will be more apt to get reliable expansion. As far as the mags, I use 9mm mags but I think you can tweak the feedlips on the .40 mags to make them work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are so many opinions about this, it's hard to decide what to carry. For what it's worth I carry Winchester Ranger 127 gr. +p+ in my XD-9 sc, I chose it because it's going to penetrate better than the 115's, and expand more reliably than a subsonic round. It's a proven LE round with a sound record of ending conflicts quickly. With that being said practice multiple shots, an adversary rarely goes down with just one shot! I practice at least a double tap but mainly triple taps. Another good load to consider is the Speer 124 gr Gold Dot +p, also DoubleTap is making 9mm ammo now and has been getting excellent reviews, they load in 115,124,147 gr weights all loaded to +p pressures. I use their 10mm loads frequently and can vouch for their quality. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Go to tacticalforums.com, then to its Terminal Effects forum. Do a search for "LE Gel testing April 2005." Should give you what you want to know.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys....also wondering about specialty ammo that might be useful for the first several rounds of a mag. There seem to be many of those types, too.

Anyone with experience or opinions for or against things like the Glazer rounds, Gold-Dots, Cor-Bon or whatever?

thanks

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
127gr +P+ Ranger-Ts are the best for short barrel, 124gr +P GoldDots are second down my list.

A while back I did some chronograph tests and found that the 124s were giving a higher power factor (weight x velocity) than the 127, three grains of lead shouldn't have made that much of a difference, given the rangers were rated +P+, they were still not as hot as the +P GoldDots. Something to consider that this was out of a 4" barrel, I don't have a 3" or I'd test it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
9mm loads recommended by DocGKR, a ballistics expert who posts over on Tactical Forums (in no particular order):

Triton 115 gr +P JHP (TR9HVA)
Fed 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Speer 124 gr +P JHP (53617)
Win 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
Win 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
Fed 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Rem 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Speer 147 gr JHP (53619)
Win 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

'Gimmick' ammo like Glaser safety slugs is NOT recommended.

Pick one that works well in your gun, practice, and don't worry any more about ammo selection. Any bullet will do the job if you put it in the right spot. No bullet will do the job if you miss.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A good understanding of physics goes a long way in understanding ballistics. Kinetic energy (ft/lbs) is equal to half the mass multiplied by the square of the velocity.
E=(M/2)*V*V
Obviously, velocity is much more important than mass to achieve higher energy. I have read many tests and in all of them the heavyweight 9mm have been outperfromed by the midweights. In a nutshell, the heavyweights lack sufficient velocity to expand properly, thereby overpenetating and underexpanding (if expanding at all). The light weights show explosive expansion with poor penetration. The middlewights fall right in between, penetrating and expanding reasonably.

A few words on penetraion and expansion. Penetration is required to reach vital organs. Expansion is necesary to transfer maximum energy and make a wider wound channel in the hopes of reaching vital organs.

On a side note, my XD-9 shoots high with 147gr and spot on with 115gr at practical ranges

·
Registered
347 Posts
Kinetic engergy and 'energy transfer' is not a significant wounding mechanism in handgun rounds. Only the permanant crush cavity counts; the bullet path has to pass through a critical part of the body (major blood vessel, central nervous system).

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I doubt it will ever happen, but I ever do drop the hammer on someone, they're not going to get just one round in their direction, but probably 2 or 3 at the least. One-shot stoppages really have no meaning to me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think a double tap to the chest of just about any high end/reputable round would be enough to stop just about anybody in thier tracks. I'm going to have to go with the general consensus that shot placement and accuracy would make more of a difference than the wt and type of your ammo. Then again, I'm no expert. Just seems like common sense.

·
Registered
21 Posts
orc4hire said:
Kinetic engergy and 'energy transfer' is not a significant wounding mechanism in handgun rounds. Only the permanant crush cavity counts; the bullet path has to pass through a critical part of the body (major blood vessel, central nervous system).
Kinetic energy is ft/lbs. Saying that it doesnt matter is akin to saying that the energy of your car doesnt matter when it is in a collision with another object. It isnt the only reason, as I have already stated, but without it the bullet will do no damage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
JD McDorce said:
There is little doubt that computation involving bullet mass and velocity (whether the calculation be momentum or kinetic energy) are certainly a consideration in overall performance calculation of a specific round, bullet type, design, and the situation in which the round is being asked to perform are also major factors. If there were a simple, definitive answer, then the answer to the "best" defensive round in a 9mm (or any caliber) would be easy.
It is relatively easy.

If you want high expansion and low penetration, pick a low bullet weight.

If you want medium expansion and medium penetration, pick a medium bullet weight.

If you want low expansion and high pentration, pick a high bullet weight.

I personally dont see the virtue in over-penetrating or under-penetrating, so I would use a 124-127gr hollow point.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wreckage said:
orc4hire said:
Kinetic energy is ft/lbs. Saying that it doesnt matter is akin to saying that the energy of your car doesnt matter when it is in a collision with another object. It isnt the only reason, as I have already stated, but without it the bullet will do no damage.

Never the less, it is true. Sure, if a bullet has ZERO kinetic energy it isn't going to do any damage, because it isn't MOVING.

A scalpel slowly cutting through your cervical spine has very little kinetic energy, but it will kill the everlasting **** out of you a lot faster than a .44 magnum to the foot.

With handgun rounds shot placement is everything. Any other factors are way down the list.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm so confused about it all(ammo).I give up.I'm just gonna use whatever is on sale and quit thinking about it all too much.

One forum I was at not too long ago says don't shoot any 147gr JHPs in the XD 9mm SC.That FBI studies had suggested discontinueing using it in the 9mm,something like that,for reasons I don't remember.Doesn't matter.At the time I had a box of 147gr SilverTips.Shot em up at the range.Went out and bought up a bunch of 124 and 115 gr JHPs of different brands which I currently keep at home now,and carry.I shoot 100 count boxes of 115gr WWBs and Blazer regularly at the range and try to bring at least a box of 50 of some JHPs every shoot,or every other shoot.I do the same with my .357,.380 and .22.Shoot up balls for practice but bring some hollowpoints to shoot also.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The Federal HST's are the only 147g that work well in 9mm, as of recent test. I use HST 124g +p, and Ranger 124g +p.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts