Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just grabbed a M&P9c for Mrs. I've read A LOT of opinions on ammo. What would be a good choice for her to practice with and keep loaded for HD that won't be too snappy? It can't be worse than factory 158gr loads out of her 2" revolver(SP101). Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
29,835 Posts
Practice--whatever you can find that's cheap. Seriously, it doesn't matter.

As for defense, check out this page:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Choose one of the loads listed (note they all are equally effective, give or take--but some are considerably more expensive and/or difficult to find than others), buy a box or two, and run it through your pistol. If it cycles 100% reliably and you like it's accuracy and control, stock up on it, and don't worry about what other people are using--that doesn't matter, because it's not your gun in your hands.

Let me add--I've always found 147gr standard pressure loads to be soft shooting. You may want to give those a try first.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Having recently purchased a XDM 9 5.25, I have tried several brands -- all 115 gr -- of ammo. I have tried AE, Win, PMC, Blazer Brass and have trouble telling them apart. All are flawless and smooth through my new friend, and I have had good accuracy with all. If I am more than 4" off target center, I blame my inconsistency. I recently purchased some Herter's steel and Remington Alum but am thinking about returning them and sticking with brass. My range won't allow steel -- I didn' realize before purchase, but may also save them for another range just to try them out.

It is amazing how much fun at the range, but you can burn through the ammo pretty quick.

·
Registered
29,835 Posts
Having recently purchased a XDM 9 5.25, I have tried several brands -- all 155 gr -- of ammo. I have tried AE, Win, PMC, Blazer Brass and have trouble telling them apart. All are flawless and smooth through my new friend, and I have had good accuracy with all. If I am more than 4" off target center, I blame my inconsistency. I recently purchased some Herter's steel and Remington Alum but am thinking about returning them and sticking with brass. My range won't allow steel -- I didn' realize before purchase, but may also save them for another range just to try them out.

It is amazing how much fun at the range, but you can burn through the ammo pretty quick.
I think you either have the weight of the bullet wrong, or the caliber of your XDm wrong; there is no 155gr 9mm load that I am aware of.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
@Vetti2de... Like Cuda mentioned, 147grn standard pressure loads will probably feel the "softest" of commonly available 9mm rounds. 9mm pistols are not known for intimidating recoil anyway, regardless of bullet weight, and I can think of a lot of 38Spcl loads that would certainly seem more robust in recoil than most if not all 9mm loads. These are not brisk high end self defense .40cal or 357 Magnum recoil level guns we are talking about here. If your wife can tolerate 158grn 38Spcl loads in a snubbie she should have no trouble with most commercially loaded standard pressure 9mm loads.

Most problems with recoil sensitivity can be attributed to lack of training with proper grip in most instances, so familiarity with the new pistol and some review of proper two handed grip techniques for a semi-auto vs. a revolver will go a long way to lessening any intimidation factor involved in the changeover. I am sure your wife will have little or no trouble with the actual recoil of your new gun once she learns how to hold it properly, and in fact will probably prefer it.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I would say, give her a variety of ammo to practice with, and let her choose. In the end she will be more confident in the pistol and it's abilities to defend herself. Just like we do.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
As noted, practice ammo is just that, doesnt' really matter about brand or even bullet wt to a certain extent. Just stay away from +P to start. At some point, you need to practice a bit with your carry ammo, it can feel diff & while you may not notice in a defensive situation, knowing is always better than not knowing. Plus you have to test your carry ammo anyway, regardless of brand or gun.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have been shooting practice ammo, and have not looked at 'defense' ammo. My novice question is "Is there that much of a difference?" or can you defend yourself effectively with less expensive ammo. I do know that you wouldn't want to use ammo that wouldn't protect but I am wondering whether practicing with less expensive ammo would tend to make you less effective with the defense ammo. I am a new shooter and have found all the ammo to be pretty similar but need a lot more experience.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
The link cuda posted is an excellent resource.

Speer gold dot or federal HST in either 124 or 147 grain might be your best bet. HST is my favorite.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I have been shooting practice ammo, and have not looked at 'defense' ammo. My novice question is "Is there that much of a difference?" or can you defend yourself effectively with less expensive ammo. I do know that you wouldn't want to use ammo that wouldn't protect but I am wondering whether practicing with less expensive ammo would tend to make you less effective with the defense ammo. I am a new shooter and have found all the ammo to be pretty similar but need a lot more experience.
You really ought to use the best there is for self defense. Don't go cheap on that.

I believe HST's are in a tier of their own. Gold dots and Ranger T's are excellent too. Winchester PDX1's and remington golden sabers are good too. All five of these will suffice in the common service calibers.

If your barrel is under 4 inches, I would go with the HST.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Hello,

Just grabbed a M&P9c for Mrs. I've read A LOT of opinions on ammo. What would be a good choice for her to practice with and keep loaded for HD that won't be too snappy? It can't be worse than factory 158gr loads out of her 2" revolver(SP101). Thanks for the help.
You won't go wrong with Speer Gold Dot 147 gr. JHP. It's a non +p with very mild recoil and excellent ballistics.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You really ought to use the best there is for self defense. Don't go cheap on that.

I believe HST's are in a tier of their own. Gold dots and Ranger T's are excellent too. Winchester PDX1's and remington golden sabers are good too. All five of these will suffice in the common service calibers.

If your barrel is under 4 inches, I would go with the HST.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions re quality ammo. I really do understand your comment about using the best there is for self defense.

What I am wondering is what makes a particular ammo better than another. I have been shooting 9 mm 115 gr brass ammo exclusively with a variety of prices (and therefore suspected quality) so far. I have not noticed any particular difference in my accuracy so far -- that is probably just my being new to shooting -- and all have performed equally with no failures thus far in my XDM9.

My primary purpose thus far is fun, and I hope it always stays that way. If they all fire well with equal accuracy (and seemingly similar clean firing), what would I use to differentiate them except price. I assume continued reading and getting to understand the ammunition is at least part of the answer.

Just curious. I realize there is probably no single answer, and it will likely just take experience to find something that I am comfortable with.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
What does the recoil matter of the sd round anyway?? if the event ever occurs that it is used. I highly doubt she will be worried about the recoil. ( if she even notices)
My wife is a bit recoil shy, but that wouldn't stop her from picking up my 12ga with 00 buck and unleashing hell if need be.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
No. Shoot all the cheap stuff you want for practice. You will only get better and better.

What I am wondering is what makes a particular ammo better than another. I have been shooting 9 mm 115 gr brass ammo exclusively with a variety of prices (and therefore suspected quality) so far. I have not noticed any particular difference in my accuracy so far -- that is probably just my being new to shooting -- and all have performed equally with no failures thus far in my XDM9.
It is mainly how it performs in your gun. I you have feed issues or accuracy, switch to something else. For practice, main thing is that is goes bang. If your pistol handles $8/box Herters, shoot Herters.

With defense ammo you are looking for penetration and expansion. You have been given some good links to start your research.
kypix

·
Registered
73 Posts
No. Shoot all the cheap stuff you want for practice. You will only get better and better.

It is mainly how it performs in your gun. I you have feed issues or accuracy, switch to something else. For practice, main thing is that is goes bang. If your pistol handles $8/box Herters, shoot Herters.

With defense ammo you are looking for penetration and expansion. You have been given some good links to start your research.
kypix

Thanks. I have seen several very informative articles on ammunition and am learning a lot. This is offset by others where the information is more anecdotal then factual, likely due to personal experiences.

I am waiting to shoot some steel Herter's and some aluminum Remington, both in 9 mm 115 gr. My range doesn't allow the use of steel but say nothing about aluminum. Of course others say they may foul or lock up my XDM9. I will head to another range to try them out

1 - 20 of 27 Posts