Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I am new to reloading and have a question on 9mm case length's. I know that the max length for 9mm brass is .754 and the trim to length is supposed to be .751, but what would be too short? I have a bunch of cases that are.745 to .750 and a fair number that are shorter than .745. Is there a reference that states what the minimum length is? I have looked in my Lymans and Lee manuals and looked online but so far I haven't found anything regarding this issue. I know that many people say don't bother checking the case length, but I have found several that are way too long, .770!!!, and as I mentioned, many below .745. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I have found it just doesn't matter much. The round headspaces on the case mouth. SAAMI sya 0.754" w/ a max chamber of 0.776" So unless your chamber is really short, it will be fine. The extractor is really holding he round in place. I have never trimmed a service pistol case in 35yrs, never.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with fred on never doing them but the longer one depending on over all condition Life may be out of service soon... how many times have they been shot or are you just loading them for the first time? As I am not sure what the life of a case is I just inspect mine everytime I de-prime them and I never check for lenght I look for stress on the case it's self. mainly at the mouth/opening of the case and also the section by the primer and just look over the body... I get rid of all that have a Pit on the opening. I play safe rather than sorry as I am a new reloader and gaining expreience and Fred IS A Great source for Info.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I've never trimmed a 9mm case. As fred says service pistol rounds don't need trimming.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts