Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my first firearm today and can't wait to get it to the range. I was tinkering with it at home today and found out I can't seat a full magazine (10 round CA version) when the slide is closed. I only tried with one of the mags, but I can seat it with 9 rounds and slide closed. Any insight??

Attachments

·
Banned
2,210 Posts
Congrats. New magazines will be very tight. They will get better once you run some rounds through it...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
127,407 Posts
Congratulations! Run a few hundred rounds through it and it should loosen up.

·
Registered
895 Posts
congrats on the purchase, you will like!, let the magazine loaded to full capacity for a couple days it'll help.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Congrats! I just picked up an XDm9c at a gun show today as well. Wanted to replace another 9 I sold. Just use it a bit and it'll go in smoothly.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Picked up my first firearm today and can't wait to get it to the range. I was tinkering with it at home today and found out I can't seat a full magazine (10 round CA version) when the slide is closed. I only tried with one of the mags, but I can seat it with 9 rounds and slide closed. Any insight??
Insert the magazine violently. It will seat.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Sweet Setup!!!! now go shoot some holes!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Came home and slammed both mags in and both seated with some force. Of course, I had to chamber a round in order to get the mag release button to work :rolleyes:
Plan on shooting 2 days this week, so I hope it continues to loosen up.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Came home and slammed both mags in and both seated with some force. Of course, I had to chamber a round in order to get the mag release button to work :rolleyes:
Plan on shooting 2 days this week, so I hope it continues to loosen up.
If you put a little upward pressure on the mag with your palm while pushing the mag release it will drop free. As others have suggested you can just leave the mags loaded for a couple weeks to break in that spring.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you put a little upward pressure on the mag with your palm while pushing the mag release it will drop free. As others have suggested you can just leave the mags loaded for a couple weeks to break in that spring.
Both mags fully loaded. I keep loading and unloading them also to get a nice thumb callus

·
Registered
345 Posts
Where did you get 10 round magazines for your xdm?

I've contacted SA multiple times and they said it would be a while before they came out with them as the xdm was not on the CA list.
Actually this is a very good question. Please tell me you are not using the 10 round magazines for the regular XD. If so that could be your problem right there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually this is a very good question. Please tell me you are not using the 10 round magazines for the regular XD. If so that could be your problem right there.
No no no. Just picked up the gun on Saturday and it's the 2 mags that came with it. I guess the shop had to modify them. They both have a rivet in the bottom. I guess it holds a block in place. I will see if the shop will make 10 round mags.

·
Registered
345 Posts
No no no. Just picked up the gun on Saturday and it's the 2 mags that came with it. I guess the shop had to modify them. They both have a rivet in the bottom. I guess it holds a block in place. I will see if the shop will make 10 round mags.
Ahhh, I see. Well grats on the new gun anyway. :D

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum...;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If you could take some pictures of the magazines disassembled and post them, I'm sure a lot of us would benefit. We have a lot of guys asking for a 10 round solution and this may be it. Especially if SA isn't going to make them.

I have made a couple of 10 rounders by epoxying 1/32" metal shims in place but would rather have something more permanent.

Thanks in advance for any information you can post.

Again, congratulations on your new purchase. I've got 1800 rounds through mine and love it as my first semiauto.
Was looking at the manual on how to disassemble the mag and couldn't figure out where the hell to depress the spring in the base. There is a small rivet where I believe there should be a hole to depress the spring. I was talking to someone at work, and he was saying to travel to another state, buy a 19 round and disassemble it, bring it back and convert it into a 10 rounder.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a stumper. Maybe you can't tear them down and they become disposable.
As I said in my other post, I epoxied 1/32" shims in place and by doing that, I can no longer remove the follower without breaking the shims off the magazine well.
I'm going to guess these were modified by your dealer and not provided by SA, but I could be wrong.
The baseplate says 19 rd right on it.

Very interesting. Maybe some of our other members can weigh in.
Regardless, it seems to comply as purchased and I'm sure it will never even see a 19 round magazine anyway. You seem to have it covered with this setup.

If you find anything else out, please pass along as I will do the same.

Good luck and enjoy your new purchase!!!!
Went in to the shop today to pick up dummy rounds and forgot to ask about the mags. I want to get more, so if I find out they can make 'em, maybe they will do a large amount for us. The guy I talked to about the gun said there are only 3 shops that he knows of in CA that will do the barrel conversion, so maybe they will make 10 round mags too:confused:

·
Registered
353 Posts
The rivet is exactly where you would need to push on the sping to release the base.

Guess you could drill it out if you really wanted but whats the point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts