Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a dillon 650 and loaded thousands of 38 and about 1000 9mm. Tonight was loading 9mm and on the downstroke the press was sticking - bad. Upon investigation the cases are hanging/sticking to the powder drop 'bell'...no clue why.

nothing was touched since loading last week. I examined the cases and bell part and found nothing - no marks, lube, dirt, etc. It's belling and dropping powder as it should. Did it for mebbe 8 cases and seems to be less severe, but still sticking.

I lube my cases with a sprayable mix of lee lube/water/alcohol. I lube the outsides of course and let it dry. Nothing changed here from any previous reloading session.

Ideas? thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
3,144 Posts
I use to have the same problem then I started using Hornady one shot on the inside of the case and it hasn't happened since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
New brass or ss pin cleaned brass? The problem is the powder funnel. Try polishing it with some 600grit till it shines.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I didn't think you had to lube pistol brass???

I thought that was for Rifle
With carbide dies, you don't, but it does make things run smoother. I will put a case with one shot on it every 4-5 rds when loading the long magnum handgun rds. Just makes things easier. Brand new brass isn't very slick & can stick a bit in sizing or expanding.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Your problem is not uncommon. Polishing the part of the die that goes into a case will certainly help, but using a quick drying lube like One Shot is very helpful. Since I have been using One Shot I have not had any hangups on the belling/powder die. Simply put 3 or 4 handfuls of cases into a gallon ziplock or other common kitchen bag, then flatten them out and spray into the opening of the bag and rub the cases around in the bag. Then just drop them into the casefeeder. This will not only eliminate the belling die problem, but make the sizing operation smoother than you can imagine and by lessening the effort required for sizing, it will take some stress off the shellplate and help make your OAL settings more accurate since the shellplate will not be "tipping" when you size.

One Shot is a waxed based lube that dries very quickly and will not build up in your gun or dies. It is unnecessary to remove it after it is applied and even helps with feeding from the magazines.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to clean cases in corncob 'bedding' I got from walmart and it worked and was cheap but a PITA to remove from the cases so I switched to a brand name walnut cleaner I got from Cabelas.
This may be the first batch of brass cleaned in the walnut..not sure if that would make a diff or not. It's finer than the corn.

It's mixed brass shot 2-3 times. All "my" brass at this point (as opposed to brass I bought and reloaded).

I do lube..but am careful to keep it out of the case mouth. I'll give one shot a try. And yes, lubing pistol makes it MUCH easier to run the press.

The powder funnel looks/feel fine...I can polish it up and see what diff it makes.

·
Super Moderator
3,144 Posts
Try it out before polishing and see if it helps. I know for me it makes the whole process run a lot smoother and the directions actually encourage you to spray the inside of the case. I've reloaded a few hundred with them and run through my XDsc and have not had any problems with any of the reloaded ammo so far.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The powder funnel looks/feel fine...I can polish it up and see what diff it makes.
Polishing hurts nothing & there may be a small unseen burr at the top ,where it tapers that is grabbing the brass as you withdraw.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Might also be a case of whose dies are in the 650. Hopefully, when you upgraded presses, you upgraded dies as well. ;)
Even if you use other brand dies, you are still using the Dillon powder thru expander. IME, that is where the "sticking" occurs.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I had this issue on my 550 loading .40...took apart the powder drop station and cleaned up the crowning area with some 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper and some 10w30 for lubricant...made it nice and shiny, readjusted the dies for minimum crowning...problem solved

Will try to post some pictures up tomm for clarification

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK..took the powder 'funnel' thingy off and examined it, polished it.

The issue is the 9mm brass is too small a diameter...the powder 'funnel' has a chamfered leading edge, a cylindrical part that fits in the brass, and then the coned part that bells the brass to accept the bullet.

Not sure what or why, but the brass is sticking to the cylindrical part. One I grabbed I couldn't force on there by hand, it was that 'undersize' I guess you might say.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
OK..took the powder 'funnel' thingy off and examined it, polished it.

The issue is the 9mm brass is too small a diameter...the powder 'funnel' has a chamfered leading edge, a cylindrical part that fits in the brass, and then the coned part that bells the brass to accept the bullet.

Not sure what or why, but the brass is sticking to the cylindrical part. One I grabbed I couldn't force on there by hand, it was that 'undersize' I guess you might say.

Any ideas?
Did you measure it? It is possible a .357" funnel for the 357mag got put in by mistake? My 9mm is 0.354".

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Did you measure it? It is possible a .357" funnel for the 357mag got put in by mistake? My 9mm is 0.354".
Wouldn't be the first time I have heard of such things!

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Even if you use other brand dies, you are still using the Dillon powder thru expander. IME, that is where the "sticking" occurs.

Definitely correct, Fred. I had wondered about an Lee undersized resizing die or U-die being involved and I don't know how far the Dillon expander button goes into the case. ;)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I measued a resized case against a new factory round..same diameter. So not undersizing as far as I can tell.

And it's not happening on every case.

·
Registered
36 Posts
And it's not happening on every case.
I have never had the problem with 9mm on my 550 but do frequently have it when loading 45 ACP. Some cases just want to stick and require significant force to remove from the drop tube. I generally just get a very little Imperial wax to put on my fingers, wipe almost all of it off, and rub the drop tube between my fingers every few cases.

I really don't like putting any lube inside the neck before seating a bullet but have not had any problems with the very tiny amount I use. The bullets seem to stay put just fine.

New cases and very clean cases seem to be the worst offenders.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hand't thought that they cases might be cleaner..the only change I did was switch to a finer/rougher tumbling media. Hmm.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Maybe the mixed head stamp brass is causing it? Just a thought but after 2-3 times your brass may be stretching differently based on the manufacturer.

Try sorting out 25 of different head stamps and load each separately. The key is eliminating variables now - you're using lube, cases are all equally clean, the die is polished, etc.

FWIW I just use walnut media from a pet store and and it's plenty clean. Not polished, but clean.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts