Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to buy a 9mm barrel and 9mm clip for my .40 XD (which i just got and LOVE). I had a question though:

should i buy a different spring as well? im just starting to lean and readup on guns and based on what i know so far it would make logical since, as the recoil on a 9mm is not like a .40. any ideas- any recommendations on a good barrel?

thanks!

joe

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've read several places selling the barrel conversion...

They don't sell a different slide with it?

I'm assuming the outer diameter is the same as the .40, and the inner is different, making a new slide unneccesary....

Maybe I'm wrong?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Gunslinger45 said:
STOP!!!!

You can't just put a 9mm bbl. in a .40 gun! You have to change the slide because the breechface is a different size. Just buy a 9mm XD.
what? who told you that?.... O i get it, your some kinda undercover salesman for SA arent you... :wink:

all you need is the barrel... the stock spring/guidrod for the .40 will work just fine (it will actually be less recoil).

o and before someone jumps your biscuts... its a MAGAZINE not a "clip".

W

·
0 Posts
STOP!!!

and listen to Beard and Rooster...pay no attention that other fellow.

I have the EFK 9mm barrel and love it. I can switch on the fly....40 to 9mm back to .40...it's great.

·
Registered
381 Posts
BeardXXXd said:
Gunslinger45 said:
STOP!!!!

You can't just put a 9mm bbl. in a .40 gun! You have to change the slide because the breechface is a different size. Just buy a 9mm XD.

STOP!!!

dont listen to the above.
http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=02PA&PHPSESSID=0d6d910f7175035fd958a8d34037449c
+1
the barrels are interchangable. And you don't need to buy new mags. The 40 mags will work fine. They just hold a couple more. Some owners say the feed lips need to be bent a little. Some say they don't. I'd try yours before you buy different mags.

This is a WELL COVERED topic here. Just do a search on "EFK barrels", "Conversion barrels", "40 to 9mm". I'm sure you get the point. You can go from the 40 to the 9mm. But, you can't own the 9mm XD and buy a 40 barrel (unless you buy the rest of the 40 too :D ).

Buy the barrel in peace and enjoy shooting.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Gunslinger45 said:
STOP!! Don't listen to me!!

He is the head of the Sprigfield Armory custom shop. Ask him about the EFK conversion and if you will void your warrenty by useing it.

Hurry call you local car dealership before u install those new wheels.. or those lowering spring.. or that new cd unit..

blah

americans are born to fiddle..

P

·
0 Posts
STOP, Hammer time!

Don't tell SA, but if mine slightly beefier 40 cal slide breaks while shooting 9mm; first, I'll be extremely suprised, and second, it won't be going back to SA with the 9mm barrel in it.

I agree with Beard on this one. Otherwise, I would still have that trick stock exploding guide rod in my gun.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Preacher said:
STOP, Hammer time!
That's the funniest one!

I've had the EFK conversion barrel for over a year now, put about 2K rounds through it with the stock .40 spring, and have yet to have any problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just finaly checked back in with this thread i posted and the stop stuff is soo funny.. i think i will just get an efk as that seems recommended thus far.... when i read the first post and saw the STOP thing i thought something was wrong because i had read everwhere else that it was no problem swtiching..

tks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Gunslinger45 said:
STOP!! Don't listen to me!!

Call: 1-800-680-6866

Ask for Dave Williams. He is the head of the Sprigfield Armory custom shop. Ask him about the EFK conversion and if you will void your warrenty by useing it.

Also ask him about the .40 slide being heavier than the 9mm and (if the conversion will work) what kind of cycleing/reliability issues you are going to have. While your at it ask about loose breech accuracy issues. Before you start shouting "Don't listen to him" try researching the issue. "I Have"
reloading also voids your warranty (well, not reloading itself, but shooting reloads)....question number 1: how will SA know you shot a reload? and question number 2: if it were to affect the warranty, who would offer that information?

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
It's not you. As of the last few month, this board has become more combative and personal. I don't know why, I find it to be sad.

If conversion barrels truly void warranties, SA should document this fact on their website and within the XD documentation. Once documented, the end user can decide if the "risk" is worth it. I know guys that have thousands of rounds through EFK conversion barrels on Glocks, and have seen no issues whatsoever.

If someone can show me proof that a conversion barrel causes damage to a gun, I will be all the wiser. I have looked for this on many boards and throughout the internet and have yet found any proof of damage. The only thing I have seen with conversion barrels is that some choke on certain brands of ammo. Stock barrels have the some issues.

Old School

·
Registered
106 Posts
FireSeven said:
I've read several places selling the barrel conversion...

They don't sell a different slide with it?

I'm assuming the outer diameter is the same as the .40, and the inner is different, making a new slide unneccesary....

Maybe I'm wrong?
I just don't see how they would even get away with making the outer diameter different than the original .40. It must be stable to go down in size (not too far).

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I just have to laugh....not only at the "STOP" thingy, but at all the people that want to alter the XD.

Coming from the 1911/Hi Power world, the thing I loved most about my XD40 was the sheer fact that I could take the bastard right out of the box and shoot it well and be happy with it as-is. No guide rod, spring, grip, bushing, sights swapping, just lube it, load it and blaze away. I had certainly had enough of this "tweaking it to death" crowd from the 1911 world and wanted to spend more time shooting and less time tinkering.

Tinker, if you must, but I just laugh at those that say they chose the XD for its simplicity, then commit to altering the crap out of the thing.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
238 Posts
I understand what your saying Gunslinger45.
I think the main reason for the gunsmith to advise you of this is because of liability reasons and also they want you to buy another Springfield product rather than Mr. X's brand.

BeardXXXd said:
Gunslinger45 said:
STOP!! Making fun of me!!
I also think while it was with humor in mind, you shouldn't misquote people.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Shooting reloads does not void any warranty anymore than shooting factory ammo does.
I seem to remember right in the warranty info they said shooting reloads and re-manufactured ammo voids the warranty. Not that it matters because only an idiot would admit that when sending their XD in for warranty work.

Just thought I would point that out. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure I read it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts